STREAMING FINDS and RECOMENDATIONS

Just watched The Royal Hotel on Binge.
Really does a good job of painting a picture of how dangerous life can be for women in remote towns.
I’ve been in pubs like that before where women are outnumbered 50 to 1.
Where violence happens casually and often.
Where drinking is the only past time.
They are powderkegs and there is more of them in this country than civilised society should allow.

As for the film itself….not an Oscar contender. Not much of a story, no character development really…not even that entertaining. However it is a good psychological portrayal of what it must feel like to be a young woman working in a pub in the outback that is full of FIFO miners, truckers and loser shitbag locals who spend their entire free time getting loaded and treating them like objects rather than human beings. Mob mentality, peer pressure and alcohol in a remote setting…recipes for disaster.

It’s not a girl empowerment story or some woke man hating flick as I was expecting…it’s a wake-up call. As I said, I’ve been in lots of pubs like this. Sometimes being the boofhead myself, sometimes being the defender and going beserk in the carpark and sometimes ignoring what is happening altogether.
None of which are acceptable.
When you get a few hours inland of the major cities you will find yourself in similar places. I guess the film is asking “would you behave like this”? For the past dozen or so years my answer is no….but I’ve been in pubs a lot longer than that to be fair….

Really does a good job of painting a picture of how dangerous life can be for women in remote towns.
They are powderkegs and there is more of them in this country than civilised society should allow.

As for the film itself….not an Oscar contender. Not much of a story, no character development really…not even that entertaining. However it is a good psychological portrayal of what it must feel like to be a young woman working in a pub in the outback that is full of FIFO miners, truckers and loser shitbag locals who spend their entire free time getting loaded and treating them like objects rather than human beings. Mob mentality, peer pressure and alcohol in a remote setting…recipes for disaster.

It’s not a girl empowerment story or some woke man hating flick as I was expecting…it’s a wake-up call. As I said, I’ve been in lots of pubs like this. Sometimes being the boofhead myself, sometimes being the defender and going beserk in the carpark and sometimes ignoring what is happening altogether.
When you get a few hours inland of the major cities you will find yourself in similar places. I guess the film is asking “would you behave like this”? For the past dozen or so years my answer is no….but I’ve been in pubs a lot longer than that to be fair….
I watched the movie after watching the documentary that it’s based off. Hotel Coolgardie. As a city boy it was an absolute eye opener for me. Tucker I recommend the doco if you get a chance. I think it’s on Prime Video.

I watched the movie after watching the documentary that it’s based off. Hotel Coolgardie. As a city boy it was an absolute eye opener for me. Tucker I recommend the doco if you get a chance. I think it’s on Prime Video.
Cheers for the recommendation man, yes that doco is so accurate.
There’s something about drunken yobbos that really gets me on edge. Theres a sense of arrogance about them…they think the world sees them differently than it really does. They act like gods gifts to women even though they are ugly. They think that being really loud = funny. They think they can fight because they are full of alcohol drenched bravado. The cool guys in their eyes are the big drinkers.
These remote pubs are 95% full of these losers. Always.
I guarantee you most of them would be killed if they went to the city but they don’t. They stick to little crappy towns where they can act like kingshit with little to no consequences.
I learnt to fight in these joints. That bloke “pikey”, he’s the sort I used to always go at. He has that rapey personality around women and ultra aggressive attitude towards men. Good for nothing bastard.
Good doco. Very raw and familiar. Recommended.

Just released 8 part x 1 hour series 2023 Super 6 Rugby on Netflix
managed to actually make that game somewhat interesting by getting behind the scenes like Drive to Survive did
The sheer size of the forwards is terrifying, as is the the absolute intensity and ferocity of most teams playing against traditional foes.
Makes pre game face slapping in NRL look like playschool!
Devoured it in 3 nites this week

Interestingly, the bar staff in these outback pubs seem to be European backpackers finding it difficult to get a job on the coast. Reminds me of the criticism directed at the Mt Isa Mayor, who advertised for all ugly women who are finding it tough to get a guy, come live in the Isa, where the men outnumber the women 7 to 1.

Interestingly, the bar staff in these outback pubs seem to be European backpackers finding it difficult to get a job on the coast. Reminds me of the criticism directed at the Mt Isa Mayor, who advertised for all ugly women who are finding it tough to get a guy, come live in the Isa, where the men outnumber the women 7 to 1.
Rough joint Mt Isa.

Rough joint Mt Isa.
For a small town it has produced a high number of sporting legends.
Greg Norman, Pat Rafter, Scott Prince, Frank and Vern Daisy plus a host of Olympians and others. Been there a few times and apart from underground mines and very loud morning thunderstorms, never saw anything magical about the place.

Excellent film about a very sad true story.

Not a wrestling fans at all myself so didn't know much about this family.

Excellent film about a very sad true story.

Not a wrestling fans at all myself so didn't know much about this family.
You watch it at the cinema?

Haven't read the book...

Movie doesn't strike me as realistic so not sure.
Interested to hear what you think after you watch it.
Some good bits in the first 5 episodes but the last two are all fantasy land. Nothing wrong with that but it really was disappointing after some nice quirks early on. Travis needs to stick to Viking roles. Bryan Brown was good - until he wasn't - I actually thought he'd been dead for a few years so it was cool to see him again.
The kid growing up & the Copper was total BS. The brother was a cool dude.

Back