Struggling in every grade - what's going on?

We've had three years of spreading players without signing anyone to repair our mess with the cap. Just look at the ins and outs over those three years. This would be the pinnacle of those years with this thinnest depth.

Thank god it's repaired now. next year we will be back!

We've had some great success with our junior development. Suli, Marsters, Liddle, and Felise are the more recent graduates. Tatola must be close to a debut in the NRL as well.

@ said:
Haven't bothered reading all the posts, but without research to back it up, I don't really care if the lower grades are not as strong. The problem has been the strong from lower grades has not transferred to the top grade. Usually if the lower grades have weakened it's because players have transitioned into firsts and most times that translates to strength in the top grade and not so strong in lower grades.
It occurred on JTs watch so I hold him responsible. Things are about to change though. Club has opened up outside the circle for recruitment.

Taylor had no money/cap space and little say in recruitment as he was watched over, so can't place much blame at his feet. Your anger should be aimed more so at O'Neil and McDonnell for mine.

@ said:
@ said:
Haven't bothered reading all the posts, but without research to back it up, I don't really care if the lower grades are not as strong. The problem has been the strong from lower grades has not transferred to the top grade. Usually if the lower grades have weakened it's because players have transitioned into firsts and most times that translates to strength in the top grade and not so strong in lower grades.
It occurred on JTs watch so I hold him responsible. Things are about to change though. Club has opened up outside the circle for recruitment.

Taylor had no money/cap space and little say in recruitment as he was watched over, so can't place much blame at his feet. Anger should be aimed more so at O'Neil and McDonnell for mine.

How can you possibly blame O'neill? From memory he was only there for 6 months unlike the coach

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Taylor had no money/cap space and little say in recruitment as he was watched over, so can't place much blame at his feet. Anger should be aimed more so at O'Neil and McDonnell for mine.

How can you possibly blame O'neill? From memory he was only there for 6 months unlike the coach

Because they had a say in junior recruitment and JT didn't - simples.

@ said:
@ said:

Taylor had no money/cap space and little say in recruitment as he was watched over, so can't place much blame at his feet. Your anger should be aimed more so at O'Neil and McDonnell for mine.

JT moved Brown, Farah and Sironen on while under contract, we are paying 1 million for players to play against us, those players are better than what Cleary has to use now, so JT made a bad situation way worse

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Quite easily, as that is what occurred. He was only at WT about that long, but he was in charge when virtually all of recruitment for this season was done, which was about six weeks prior to pre-season starting, was he not?

Trials for to provide the top up players for Holden Cup are another matter.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

JT moved Brown, Farah and Sironen on while under contract, we are paying 1 million for players to play against us, those players are better than what Cleary has to use now, so JT made a bad situation way worse

Not a fan of paying players to play elsewhere would rather them in reserve grade until they find form or we need them. We could of used them this year. I think Taylor's issue was that he had no backup plan if the grand plan didn't work out. He didn't have much to work with but he made it even worse for himself and the club.

The whole Farrah issue was handled very poorly by everyone involved including himself.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Read posts above and below this quoted post. Plus Taylor may not have been the greatest, but he had to operate with both hands tied behind his back for most of his tenure, unable to do what he wanted, when he wanted.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Where has it been said we're paying Brown or Siro anything?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

You are having yourself on if you think Management didn't have a big say in those decisions.

Not everything is the fault of JT - although reading all your posts you would think he will also be responsible for the destruction of the world. You really need to get an effigy of JT and stab it into oblivion - you may feel better.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Because they had a say in junior recruitment and JT didn't - simples.

I thought it was obvious to even infrequent forumers that JT had little say in anything other than the coaching team he first assembled, including the rehabilitation group.

WESTS TIGERS 2017 Transfers
http://www.nrl.com/2017-nrl-player-transfers/tabid/10874/newsid/98702/default.aspx?print=true

Ins: Jamal Idris (free agent), Matt McIlwrick (Sharks)

Outs: Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Jack Buchanan (Widnes), Josh Drinkwater (released), Asipeli Fine (Bulldogs), Lamar Liolevave (Bulldogs), Billy McConnachie (released), Jesse Parahi (Rugby Sevens), Manaia Cherrington (Sharks), Dene Halatau (retirement), Robbie Farah (Rabbitohs), Curtis Sironen (Sea Eagles), Chance Peni (rugby union), Rod Griffin (Bulldogs)

Explains our depth

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Yes, but we would be paying more than $1million to those players if they were still here. Until Simona's sacking we were over the cap. We had signed next to no-one for this year, so if we kept these players we would be over the cap by even more & needing to shed players. Who would have gone, keeping in mind that you can't move them on unless another club is willing to take them, and you are still left to pay any shortfall in the contract.

From memory we tried to move on Lovett, Simona, Kev and a couple of others earlier this year for no takers. Blaming JT is easy, but think you will find that this was final outcome of Mayer's management backending contracts.

@ said:
http://www.nrl.com/2017-nrl-player-transfers/tabid/10874/newsid/98702/default.aspx?print=true

Outs: Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Jack Buchanan (Widnes), Josh Drinkwater (released), Asipeli Fine (Bulldogs), Lamar Liolevave (Bulldogs), Billy McConnachie (released), Jesse Parahi (Rugby Sevens), Manaia Cherrington (Sharks), Dene Halatau (retirement), Robbie Farah (Rabbitohs), Curtis Sironen (Sea Eagles), Chance Peni (rugby union), Rod Griffin (Bulldogs)

Explains our depth

A lot of that movement was to build a chest of $$ to retain the big 4

@ said:

Explains our depth

Yet only 3 guys on the let goes are playing regular 1st grade…

Bring back Jack...I miss that guy...Maybe even give Quadja another go...

@ said:
I heard from an unreliable source that those in lower grades are not interested in playing first grade for our club.

Yeah every hack who can't get a gig at the top will tell you they're not interested.

@ said:

Explains our depth

Actually it doesn't. There are no re-signings listed. Just a bunch of reserve graders going out and a couple of reserve graders coming in.

Sure no big name ins but there was no room to do so.

And if anyone wants to have a go at anyone for the mess it's a combination of Grant Meyer first and formost, then the likes of McDonnell, JT, O'Neil and Pascoe

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Yes, but we would be paying more than $1million to those players if they were still here. Until Simona's sacking we were over the cap. We had signed next to no-one for this year, so if we kept these players we would be over the cap by even more & needing to shed players. Who would have gone, keeping in mind that you can't move them on unless another club is willing to take them, and you are still left to pay any shortfall in the contract.

From memory we tried to move on Lovett, Simona, Kev and a couple of others earlier this year for no takers. Blaming JT is easy, but think you will find that this was final outcome of Mayer's management backending contracts.

I didn't say it was all JT's fault, I said it was a bad sutuation he walked into, but he made it worse.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back