Tame Tupou

G

From Wests Tigers website:

WESTS TIGERS SIGN TAME TUPOU
Friday, July 10, 2009
Wests Tigers has secured the services of winger Tame Tupou for the remainder of the 2009 Telstra Premiership.

Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell said the 26-year-old had undergone tests on an injured knee under Wests Tigers performance co-ordinator Cherry Mescia. Tupou played for the Brisbane Broncos from 2004-2006 and Bradford Bulls in 2007-2008.

“Whilst Tame was in England, we registered an NRL contract to the value of $500 plus match payments before the 30 June deadline,’’ McDonnell said.

“Tame has returned to Brisbane to pack up his belongings. Wests Tigers will bring him down soon for more tests on his knee to see if he if can play this year. Otherwise we might look at signing him for 2010.

“Some of Tame’s test results were outstanding for a person of his size but we do have a few concerns over his knee.

“In the few days he was at Wests Tigers, he fitted in very well with the players and he has a good personality. He played his junior footy in New Zealand with Taniela Tuiaki and they are firm friends.

“His physical appearance means he could be a very intimidating figure on the wing. Tame has not played for 12 months but in his appearances before that, he was scoring almost a try a game, so if he can get his full fitness back, he will be a great asset on the wing for us.’’

i have a feeling he could get a game against the cowboys.

@Iron Tiger said:

I'd doubt it, I don't think they will risk his knee as it's still not 100%. I think the plan will be either giving him some gametime with BRET in a few weeks if he trains well and his knee is ok, and then putting him through a full off-season with the top squad with a view to using him next season if he gets his confidence back.

@willow said:
@Iron Tiger said:

I'd doubt it, I don't think they will risk his knee as it's still not 100%. I think the plan will be either giving him some gametime with BRET in a few weeks if he trains well and his knee is ok, and then putting him through a full off-season with the top squad with a view to using him next season if he gets his confidence back.

I know that is probably what is going to happen but it just wouldn't surpise me, that's all.

I am starting to warm to this signing the more details that come out. If we take our time and make a carefully decision we could have a great cheap pick up. If things don't work out it doesn't look like we will be losing much. We need two big wingers and with Peni gone it looks like the club has found a replacement of sorts

@derailed said:
I am starting to warm to this signing the more details that come out. If we take our time and make a carefully decision we could have a great cheap pick up. If things don't work out it doesn't look like we will be losing much. We need two big wingers and with Peni gone it looks like the club has found a replacement of sorts

Yeh ive been thinking that too. Also he was the Broncos leading try scorer in 06, so he obviously has something there its just a question of getting his knee right aswell as his fitness and giving him enough ball to do some damage.

Could someone please explan to me one thing. It says "we registered an NRL contract to the value of $500 plus match payments before the 30 June deadline".
I thoght any NRL contract had a minimium salary which was over 50000?

@kiwitiger said:
Could someone please explan to me one thing. It says "we registered an NRL contract to the value of $500 plus match payments before the 30 June deadline".

They way I understand it is if the player plays first grade and are contracted for the following year …match payment must be comensurate with $50K that year minium...Which is why sometimes with these type of contracts clubs can run into trouble in following seasons...BACKLOADING....Sound farmiliar

@Geo. said:
@kiwitiger said:

They way I understand it is if the player plays first grade and are contracted for the following year …match payment must be comensurate with $50K that year minium...Which is why sometimes with these type of contracts clubs can run into trouble in following seasons...BACKLOADING....Sound farmiliar

Ahhh thats what I was afraid of when I read that. Here hoping we learn from previous mistakes

Don't mind this signing too much. Tupou could absolutely kill it if fit, gets his hands right and head screwed on. Hopefully it happens here. Would add more value than Beau Ryan.

You have to wonder if this is a clean sign to Beau that he is not wanted on the wing? I just can't see where else he would fit in.

If I was Beau I would be considering two things talk to the manager for an early release or binding my time to see what happens with the possiblitiy of playing 2nd's all next year.

Beau could get a release and Topou could fail and be stuck in seconds at another club or he could stay and Toupou could succeed and be stuck in seconds here.

Sucks to to Beau right now.

I don't feel sorry for Beau at all, he's had his chances and it's his problem that his position is under threat. That's pressuming that Tim Sheens has ear marked Toupu for the wing. For all we know, next week we might see an article where Sheens has plans to transform Toupu into a halfback.

@Chris said:
I don't feel sorry for Beau at all, he's had his chances and it's his problem that his position is under threat. That's pressuming that Tim Sheens has ear marked Toupu for the wing. For all we know, next week we might see an article where Sheens has plans to transform Toupu into a halfback.

Sheens could just as easily put TnT in the backrow and leave Ryan in the number 5\. Stranger things have happened at this club

He has talent and the dimensions. With the loss of Tagive, Tupou should replace Ryan. Let's hope Sheens get's the best out of him.

Latest posts

Members online

Back