- Collis
- Tagive

Add to that possibly/probably:
- Halatau
- Payne
- Galea
- Fulton (for next year and beyond)

What does it all mean?

Are we lining up a 'real' marqee signing? Orford? Hunt?

Are we in massive salary cap problems?

Are we going to spend (possibly) over $1M on our juniors and fringe/injured/troubled players like Daniella, Taumata and Tupou?

Who knows?

Sounds like we might be going after Finch…

Jury will still be out, but could be good for us... maybe!

Knowing the Tigers we will buy a whole bunch of fringe players and pay overs for them. I doubt we'll spend it all on one marquee signing.

IMO the club has decent depth across the park, however maybe one outside back, someone who plays wing and centre would be handy.

Let's say the starting line up is
1\. Moltzen
2\. Tuiaki
3\. Ayshford
4\. Lawrence
5\. Ryan

That still leave Hanbury and Gallant and for next year, Lazarus who can fill in those positions.

The depth in the halves is okay in regards to 5/8's if we shuffle players around. Eg Benji, Moltzen, Ayshford, Hanbury to an extent plus the likes of Lui. However we do struggle with a decent halfback at the club. From the reports from the State Cup, Lewis and Dunley aren't setting the world on fire.

For the front row, well, there's only 2 guys who are pulling their weight this season and that's Galloway and Skando. Gibbs and Payten have been average at best however Gibbs showed form early on, but no idea where it's gone. Shirnack has had limited opportunity and Daine Laurie will get better with time. After a full year of First Grade I have faith his best footy will come next year. And from what Royce said on WTV the other week, Aaron Woods is likely to get a top 25 contract for 2010\. The back row we're pretty sorted with Ellis, Heighno, Payten, Payne (staying? going?), Galea (staying? going?) and then juniors like Mataka, Dwyer, Shirnack and Gower.

Then with all the guys mentioned above, we can manufacture a bench of some sort.

So far I'm pretty happy with how the clean out is going, but I never would have thought Collis would go so early. I thought the Tigers had huge faith in him and were still holding onto that "potential" tagline we've been fed so much lately. Obviously they see greater and quicker potential in Ayshford.

A little off topic, but seeing as Morris has gone already and Halatau is rumoured to go, who will play a utility role next year? Will we have a utility on the bench? Personally I prefer a utility who plays mainly in the forwards (eg Halatau or Morris at lock etc) rather than a back like Hanbury.

I think the club has finally realised that 2005 happened 4 years ago and players that were re-signed on upgraded contracts have failed to kick on and become good week-in-week-out footballers.

It has happened far too late of course, with 0 finals appearances since winning the comp, but the club has some genuine talent coming through, which they realise. I think they will be in a position in 2010 to chase a big name player. We are still suffering the effects of backloaded contracts this year, and probably next year to an extent also.

To be honest lets see how Lazarus goes before we all say Hunt, for all we know he could be the next Aus Fullback. (No, I am not saying he will be)

Orford is average, and to the people who say he won a Dally M, it was because of the Slater suspension thing. We have juniors who will probably become better than him anyway.

Finch is mediocre and has the same skills as Morris in the halves. To all the people who say he talks…big whoop. Who cares. He is not a half, just like Morris.

I think we are moving to sign 3 players… 1 outside back, 1 prop and a big name half...... My wishlist would be Vuna, Burgess, Carney ahaha but the odds of that happening are what? One can dream

@Kaiser said:
I think we are moving to sign 3 players… 1 outside back, 1 prop and a big name half...... My wishlist would be Vuna, Burgess, Carney ahaha but the odds of that happening are what? One can dream

Carney won't happen although I think Burgess could be a possiblity for 2011\. Not sure on Vuna, I wouldn't mind him at the Tigers but news surrounding him possibly leaving Newcastle has gone quiet of late.

Personally I'm glad with the stance the club is taking. A number of players have promised a lot but delivered little, therefore they should not be re-signed. If the club had taken the same stance a couple of years ago we may not be in the position we are now (ie down the bottom of the table).

@Black Orange White said:
To be honest lets see how Lazarus goes before we all say Hunt, for all we know he could be the next Aus Fullback. (No, I am not saying he will be)

Orford is average, and to the people who say he won a Dally M, it was because of the Slater suspension thing. We have juniors who will probably become better than him anyway.

Finch is mediocre and has the same skills as Morris in the halves. To all the people who say he talks…big whoop. Who cares. He is not a half, just like Morris.

Finch is not what we want,but he is a better half than Morris,I don't understand why so many people don't rate Orford,he would be a good fit for Benji,although I hope we have Tuamata and Benji in the halves next year,and a decent frontrower signed as well to help out KG..

Get rid of Payten and Galea as well, and sign Burgess and Scott. Fowards would be better than most then.

With the young guys for back up and competition it'd be an intimidating pack.

8\. Burgess
9\. Farah
10\. Galloway
11\. Ellis
12\. Heighington
13\. Fulton

14\. Gibbs
15\. Laurie
16\. Scott
17\. Young guy

With the money left over ( :laughing: ) I'd chase for Michael Mongahan, and Vuna/Daniella would be nice too.

@steven_tiger said:
Get rid of Payten and Galea as well, and sign Burgess and Scott. Fowards would be better than most then.

8\. Burgess
9\. Farah
10\. Galloway
11\. Ellis
12\. Heighington
13\. Fulton

14\. Gibbs
15\. Laurie
16\. Scott
17\. Young guy

With the money left over ( :laughing: ) I'd chase for Michael Mongahan, and Vuna/Daniella would be nice too.

Thats a top 8 team right there, but it wont happen. :frowning:

I don't think we will see Payne, Halatau, Dunley, Trimarchi or Galea in Wests Tigers colours next year…Sheens said a cleanout was coming and I think so far he has been true to his word so i'll give him that...as Willow said perhaps it's come a year too late but I think every opportunity had to be given to the youngsters of '05 to kick on...a lot haven't so at now at least they are doing something about it....

So by my reckoning still here from '05 looking to next year...Farah, Marshall, Payten, Heighington, Gibbs and Skandalis (maybe)...

Additions since '05 that are here next year...Ellis, Lawrence, Tuiaki, Moltzen, Galloway, Mataka, Ayshford, Ryan, Laurie, Lazarus

That still leaves 9 spots up for grabs in the top 25 for 2010....I would expect perhaps Dwyer, Hyland, Schirnack, Roqica, Woods to be promoted from the 20's...Lui is still eligable for the 20's but would think if his form continues WT will need to move or risk losing him to another club...

Which means 3 spots to be filled from outside the club by my reckoning....1.Tupou 2\. Fulton? 3.......Mystery PROP would be fantastic.....

@Iron Tiger said:
@steven_tiger said:

8\. Burgess
9\. Farah
10\. Galloway
11\. Ellis
12\. Heighington
13\. Fulton

14\. Gibbs
15\. Laurie
16\. Scott
17\. Young guy

Thats a top 8 team right there, but it wont happen. :frowning:

whos young guy? what club is he from?

You haven't heard of him?

There are some at every club, but this one is a good one. Can play anywhere from 1-13 and does a very good job.

Star of the future.

@steven_tiger said:
You haven't heard of him?

There are some at every club, but this one is a good one. Can play anywhere from 1-13 and does a very good job.

Star of the future.

do we have one here?

I have a feeling the club is looking to be active in the market for the 2011 season. To me, that is when Wests will have the Penny's in the piggy bank to sign some quality. It was made clear and well known that the Tigers have exhausted their salary cap in 2009, hence the whole 'loaning' Liam Fulton fiasco. Releasing McDonnell and not resigning Morris, Tagive, Collis suggests two things. Firstly, the Joint Venture club did not have the biscuits to keep these players or secondly, these players are not apart of the grand plans and future as they all have not produced nor contributed to any amount or level of success that has evaded Wests for the past 3-4 years.

The purchasing of Taumata and Tupou seem to be conscientious signings in my opinion, both strengthening areas of perceived and noticeable weakness, yet both additions to the Tigers squad has not hurt the hip pocket either due to their nature of needing another chance to resurrect their respective careers. Smart, fiscal friendly acquisitions which could prove to be extremely beneficial i 2010 and beyond.

I think it's about time the club did it, a clean out has been long overdue..

Although I agree its the cleanout we had to have I do find it strange that Sheens has always said experience was what were lacking and a player isnt worth his salt till he had racked up 100 fg games, and thats what we are flicking experienced Fgraders. Anyway lets see what we replace them with before we start jumping up and down

I think the cleanout is more related to our salary cap problems than aiming at buying new players. I think our salary cap problems are far worse than what anyone who isn't privy to know the exact extent of it could imagine.

@Chris said:
I think the cleanout is more related to our salary cap problems than aiming at buying new players. I think our salary cap problems are far worse than what anyone who isn't privy to know the exact extent of it could imagine.

Well if that is the case…we are in a lot more trouble than I thought.....If 7 first grade players (3 so far) are let go and we haven't freed up some decent room then heaven help us...Pray...Farah, Marshall, Eliis, Galloway and Heighno stay fit and the others left on a hefty pay packets pull their fingers out....

Back