Tommy Talau #225

Another one they should have let go, i thought this new management realised that square pegs in round holes, and lack of speed has been our downfall for years.

Tommy Talau: Mentally and physically stronger​

AuthorKelsey HoganNRL ReporterTimestampThu 15 Dec 2022, 05:01 PM

Share on social media​

Tommy Talau might be a name you haven’t heard of for a while, but the promising outside back said he’s ready to pick up where he left off – albeit 546 days after his last game of first-grade.
The 22-year-old, who has returned to full team training this pre-season for the first time since suffering an ACL injury in the final round of 2021, said he is in the frame for a Round 1 return if selected by coach Tim Sheens — news that will come as a relief for Wests Tigers fans after he missed the entirety of the 2022 campaign.

Son of Bulldogs great Willie Talau, the Moorebank Rams junior emerged as one of the stars of the future in 2021 with 14 tries, but after a 2022 which was dominated by rehabilitation and recovery, the Wests Tigers outside back said he was ready to return "mentally and physically stronger" than before.

“It was my first major injury so at first, it was really different coming to terms with it and watching on the sidelines,” Talau told NRL.com.

“Ever since I started playing footy, I’d never had a big injury that meant I couldn’t play so it was really difficult to accept at first.

“Your body goes through changes and the mental side of it is really challenging.

“But now I can say I’m glad I went through it all because I feel a lot mentally and physically stronger".

Re-signed by the club despite an injury-cruelled 2022 campaign, Talau said he is determined to repay the faith new coach Sheens has shown in him.

“They showed faith in me after not being able to play for a whole year and relieved me of the uncertainty of not having a contract,” Talau said.

“I feel like they did me a huge favour and when I get back on the field, I really hope I can repay the faith.

“I just feel like after all the emotions, hard work and rehab, it’s all starting to pay off.”

Debuting as a teenager for Wests Tigers in 2019, Talau admitted he had a "fan-girl" moment when running out alongside premiership-winning playmaker Benji Marshall.

With Marshall stepping into a new role as Wests Tigers assistant coach under Sheens in 2023, the former Canterbury-Bankstown junior said it's like he's returned to “a new club” after lacing up the boots for the first time in over 12 months.

“I was fangirling big time the day I got to run on with him. I’ve never really supported a team, I support players and he’s always been one of my favourites,” he said.

Sublime read and pass from Marshall has Talau scoring

Sublime read and pass from Marshall has Talau scoring

“His leadership has been really important to our team. You can see everyone admires and respects him. When he talks everyone is listening.

“He’s won a comp and achieved everything you could dream of in the game so it’s great to have someone of his calibre.

“He jumps in and leads all the drills and is skills are second to none; I think he could still play now.

“It’s really valuable for our halves and outside backs to learn off him as well because he’s still carving us up at training, and if you can defend Benji, you’re going pretty well.”

With the Wests Tigers recruiting Charlie Staines, Api Koroisau, Isaiah Papali’i and David Klemmer, Talau said he is yet to see how he fits into Sheens’ side in 2023 but is instead focusing on his own goals ahead of a long-awaited NRL return.

“I’ve had a long year of thinking about the things I want to achieve in my career and how to get back to where I was playing,” he said.

“I’ve already seen a bit of Klemmer and he’s a machine. He works so hard.

“I’m also excited to see players like (Api) Koroisau and (Isaiah) Papali’il; I watched them play in the World Cup and they’re in awesome form, playing really good footy and I’m really excited to play with them.

“We’re all really hungry which is really good. Training feels like it’s gone to a new level than what I’ve been to before."

He has all the physical gifts...

His rugby league IQ though was terribly low...clueless about many things almost.

Hopefully he has spent the 18 months off studying film and learning the game. If so...he could end up a really good player.

My reaction to the return of Talau is meh........He could score a try but other than that he seemed to lack a few of the attributes needed in a first grade back, including speed, catching skill or evasive ability. On top of this, his focus and decision making seemed to switch on and off. Just calling it the way I see it. I hope he comes back a better player and makes a fist of lock or second row. Time will tell.

Last edited:
My reaction to the return of Talau is meh........He could score a try but other than that he seemed to lack a few of the attributes needed in a first grade back, including speed, catching skill or evasive ability. On top of this, his focus and decision making seemed to switch on and off. Just calling it the way I see it. I hope he comes back a better play and makes a fist of lock or second row. Time will tell.
A strong centre who can defend, hit a gap, set up his winger and be aware of his surrounds will do well. Goal kicking is an advantage. Mick Cronin, Chris Close and Gene Miles are examples. Our issue is lack of pace on the wings. That is why we need a very pacey left winger if Nofoaluma is playing right wing.

I'm all for backing Tommy. If he can get his body right much prefer taking a risk on him than a player trading off past reputation on big dollars. Saw enough of him to know that he plays with passion. With some go forward around him and some like minded players who want to win fingers crossed we will see the best of him yet.

The problem is Ken was one of our best players. He carried the forwards and he can score a try with his extender arms or via the high ball.

We gave Nofo a bad contract for us.
Most wingers these days carry the ball back well and can score a try through dives or the high ball. Players such as JAC, Coates, Cobbo and Young add electric pace. We need that pace ideally on both wings but at least on one.

I'm all for backing Tommy. If he can get his body right much prefer taking a risk on him than a player trading off past reputation on big dollars. Saw enough of him to know that he plays with passion. With some go forward around him and some like minded players who want to win fingers crossed we will see the best of him yet.
Sorry Telltails but I didn't always see passion from Tommy. Actually, I saw a lackadaisical attitude at times including lazy attempts to catch balls and sticking arms out in defence. Also, I saw an average player, with little evasive skill or pace for his position. At this stage, he falls in to the 'young prodigy who has failed to deliver' category. I hope he starts realise his early potential this time round!

Sorry Telltails but I didn't always see passion from Tommy. Actually, I saw a lackadaisical attitude at times including lazy attempts to catch balls and sticking arms out in defence. Also, I saw an average player, with little evasive skill or pace for his position. At this stage, he falls in to the 'young prodigy who has failed to deliver' category. I hope he starts realise his early potential this time round!
Mate we all see things differently. Like all our young blokes worst introduction to NRL out of any club - really disappointing season from Stef last year but not writing him off. None of young guys can be fairly judged until the standards from the more experienced guys lead the way. All of them will never reach any level of FG standard footy at this club until that changes - or we get crop that come through together like Penrith with young elites in key positions.

Mate we all see things differently. Like all our young blokes worst introduction to NRL out of any club - really disappointing season from Stef last year but not writing him off. None of young guys can be fairly judged until the standards from the more experienced guys lead the way. All of them will never reach any level of FG standard footy at this club until that changes - or we get crop that come through together like Penrith with young elites in key positions.
I think he was in the middle of both your arguments.

Back