LIVE GAME Trial 1 vs. Warriors

Live Game Discussion
What did I say that was incorrect if you watched the game?

Take a chill pill dude.

The kid should be Api’s long term replacement I didn’t mention anything about him or anyone else for next game let alone their career.
Simpkin was Simpkin.
He's a post contact metres blessing for every player that runs at him. He's weak and ineffective.
The point that our attack shut down was when he entered the game. He offers no creativity. He's a shoveller.
Enough time has been wasted on this flop.

Trials are more of a test of skill rather than work ethic, discipline or hunger.

How did the 1/6/79 combo go?

Simpkin was Simpkin.
He's a post contact metres blessing for every player that runs at him. He's weak and ineffective.
The point that our attack shut down was when he entered the game. He offers no creativity. He's a shoveller.

He came here with a solid reputation from Queensland and plenty of people pushing him however i have yet to see a single thing from him to suggest "first grader".Hopefully another club wants him in a early or mid season trade

It does under unlimited interchange. Fatigue doesnt matter. Only matters if you strip numbers.
I don't know if Tigers simply could not strip for numbers, or didn't try, but it definitely was not in the play. Tigers continued to play simple footy, not too many offloads, not too much aggressive movement to the backs. It's almost like Benji sent out the message to just keep playing controlled system footy regardless of the send-off.

Simpkin was Simpkin.
IMHO, he is a copy of Wakeman playing 9! Always looks to pass, and that takes forever; the opposition may leave a hole in front of him, and he would still be looking to pass! One of the WT players who must be on the must-clean list!

I don't know if Tigers simply could not strip for numbers, or didn't try, but it definitely was not in the play. Tigers continued to play simple footy, not too many offloads, not too much aggressive movement to the backs. It's almost like Benji sent out the message to just keep playing controlled system footy regardless of the send-off.
Didn’t try is my guess. They had a plan and stuck to it regardless? Although there was a moment early in 2nd half when I thought Benji had told them to increase their number of passes in the middle third, to compact warriors d, but it was just a moment.

IT was a trial match. The purpose of a trial match is to practice systems and game plans that you have drilled for 3 months, under fire. Benji did the right thing and we stuck to our original game plans to practice what we needed to do in a trial. If we had just started throwing it around trying to strip numbers we would have wasted the opportunity of the trial.
One point I will definitely make - 3 years ago I watched Tigers destroy Manly at LO during the trials. The Manly team was pretty weak and we got on top really early.

I don't really know if it taught us anything because the players hardly had to battle or struggle or fight - they were up for it, Manly was not and we moved the ball around aggressively. We didn't need to do much grinding or worry about our 1%ers because we made so many line breaks. Of course you can only play what is in front of you, but you wonder what exactly you are trialling when you put out a decent side and it destroys an ordinary opponent. Ended up 52-18 or something like that.

Fast forward and we finished the season in 13th. Manly came 4th and were knocked out in the Prelim final.

I found our trial one of the easier ones to watch after the constant dropped ball and errors in some of the other games made them intolerable. A good hit out and hopefully answered some questions for the coaching team. Nothing's changed for me we get some injuries to some key players it's going to be another long season.

IT was a trial match. The purpose of a trial match is to practice systems and game plans that you have drilled for 3 months, under fire. Benji did the right thing and we stuck to our original game plans to practice what we needed to do in a trial. If we had just started throwing it around trying to strip numbers we would have wasted the opportunity of the trial.
Only problem with that is I have not seen a Wests Tigers team strip an opposing defence for numbers in 3 years, possibly longer.
We are the only team in the NRL incapable of doing it at least once per game.
Sometime soon I am hoping to see we at least have the ability to do it.
I was impressed with Sezer and Sullivan’s ability to at least keep the opposing defence guessing if they were going to run, pass or kick, that allowed Faatape who looks capable of busting tackles one on one to get that one on one opportunity, something that has rarely happened for our outside backs in recent times.

Last edited:
Did people actually watch ? We ended the first half with a halves pairing of Mason and Sullivan , then ended the game with Matai and Simpkin … if you are kicking rocks over this result you’re hilarious !
Of that second half team , only the Fainu brothers , Lobb , TDS, maybe Simpkin , and seyfarth will play nrl .
💯
The amount of pearl clutching over ostensibly a reserve grade trial is OTT.
Still, I like reading threads like these early on in the season. It helps me add to my ignore list so I don’t have to wade through pages of inane comments later.

I was pleased with the opening 15 minutes; from there it was a bit like watching the local A graders go around, a bit of that is experience related and a bit the nature of the rotating interchange.

Sezar showed exactly why we purchased him - his kicks were good and he controlled the game. In addition he isn't afraid to take it to the line which is the first step in playing with momentum. He will provide a good foundation to build from.

Bud, rocks and diamonds. Thought he was OK with Sezar running the show - didn't control the game when he went off. Don't think he is a 7 - interesting to see how he and Latu compare next week.

Combined Sezar and Sullivan showed something to build on. A couple of times they dug deep into the line and hit a player at pace on a good line. Certainly an improvement on 23. There wasn't much enterprise wider though - an area that clearly needs improvement.

In the centres - I thought Faataape showed promise and Casey was reasonably solid until he was injured. I don't think either are starters at this stage but will keep Toa and Naden on their toes. I would not be surprised to see Faataape lock down a FG spot in 12 months with a bit of development.

Wing- Toupou didn't display enough to lock down a FG spot and neither did Staines - although Charlie's wing didn't see much of the ball while he was on. Lobb provides a great kick target and combined with his goal kicking ability makes him hard to rule out as a round two starter. He has the potential to be a long term fixture on one wing. Willett needs some developement time and some time to grow into his frame. No need to rush him - he looks like he he could develop nicely.

Not much from Bula at the back but he was where he had to be when he needed to be. Want to see his attack develop a lot more - but really wasn't challenged position wise from anyone. Mason made a few experience errors and needs a fair bit of development - but has potential.

Api had support when he took off for a change. Good signs. Simpkin is so far behind in terms of skill. TDS is a better hooker - but needs more development time for mine. From what I saw I expect Simpkin is being groomed as a 14 and TDS will probably get a year in Cup to develop - which is what he needs at this stage.

Klemmer was back to his damaging self and Stef stepped up a little. Great to see offloads weren't the first thing on their mind. They played direct and set the platform. Pole was a little disappointing. I think he will be most effective in that front row rotation. It will be interesting if he steps up next week to try an own the 13 as that's where I think he sees himself.

Seyfath was energetic but I'm just not sure he has the ball playing skills we need at 13. I like him but there is something about him that just doesn't look right - he is ungainly. Maybe its a good thing - can't knock him on effort. One to watch at this stage - I hope he gets more minutes next week.

Papalii did well and showed energy and some spark. I think with Sezar and Bud (potentially Latu) we will see him hitting holes at the ad line. Something to look forward to - it is developmental but you can see the potential. With Bateman offering something unconventional it is a good combination. I think there is an opportunity for the young guns to push Kepoa into reggies and make Bateman work hard to be a starter week in week out.

I'm keen to see some of the fringe forwards play with a first string halves combo as the rotating halves and forward combination after the first 15 made it difficult to see their attacking strengths. Fianu made his presence felt - I'm not too worried about the ill discipline at this stage. He showed some mongrel which is good - now we just need to channel that into more productive pursuits. We need someone in the pack to be an enforcer when required - he could be our man.

It was a trial - we did OK; there were some pomising signs across the park. BUT we are still pretty shallow in development and experience. The juniors weren't disgraced. 2024 is definitely a building year but the foundation now looks to be set. I trust that we have limited injuries in the first half of the year to enable the youg fellas to develop.

Last edited:
Yep , I agree . I would say that’s exactly what the messaging was . Simple plays , play direct , control possession , make your tackles .
It’s also the time where you don’t want to reveal too much in regards to structures , to limit game planning , or at least slow it down .
Hot tip , if Benji had Simpkin at halfback , he could give 2 flying Fs as to the result .

Considering the size of the Warriors team, our guys were much smaller. I reckon we did well overall. I know I’m probably the harshest critic of players and when they stuff up I call them pathetic (except Brooks - he was and is pathetic), I thought we did well.

#roar

Well I had hope we would see a different type of footy with benji in charge , but it’s the same crap that we dished up last year , one out hit ups and then a kick , the warriors are running the ball so much harder than us , hate to say it but I can see a 3rd wooden spoon . Is it so hard to have some backline plays or our the coaches we have don’t know how to coaches such plays
Did you skip 2023? 200 passes? Didn’t see David Klemmer do 1 run around play in this game. Which was nice for a change.
Unfortunately last year proved that the Maguire model wins football games in the 2020s decade. Just need some individuals with X factor and a point of difference.
I’m sure glad Benji is still in touch with the ‘modern’ game.

Fair comment now that you put it that way.

My first impression was that it just seemed like the typical Wests Tigers inability to capitalise on a numerical advantage while the opponents are still able to score while we have a full compliment of players on the field.

I'll reserve my judgement until the next time a situation like this arises and we have our first choice halves pairing on controlling the situation.

Back