LIVE GAME Trial 1 vs. Warriors

Live Game Discussion
Plenty of positives and that’s all that really matters at this stage.
Any negatives are good learning for Benji and the coaching staff.
Next week should feature a few more of who will be our regular NRL squad and we will be up against a Dragons side who are big across the park and play a very physical style under Shane Flanagan, so it will really test our strength and resilience.
Dont think there were many negatives, I reckon Benji would be very happy with this arvo

*Main guys all played well first half and despite him saying the result wasnt important ...winning gives the squad a positivity and spring in the step for the following week...makes going to work much more enjoyable

*New guys all went well, Sezar & Sully both looked good for initial hit outs

*Our defense despite anything anyone says bout the opposition wasnt bad and keeping an opposition to under 18 is a goal

*No injuries from what I could see

*Losing to 12 men would see this joint melt down and the media likely already on Benjis back
It couldve been much much worse, but its only a trial and only a few will remember it next year, me being not one of them

Last edited:
Ur missing the point , a lot on her have been singing the praises of our young players and that we can’t buy anymore players because the kids will leave , well if that’s the best we got then we are in big trouble, give it take one or two , our kids are well behind what I have seen over the weekend
totally agree in what are you saying

Ur missing the point , a lot on her have been singing the praises of our young players and that we can’t buy anymore players because the kids will leave , well if that’s the best we got then we are in big trouble, give it take one or two , our kids are well behind what I have seen over the weekend
Id give them a bit more than a half of footy to see what they can do....bit soon to be writing anyone off
Theres always someone bigger, faster, stronger...these blokes usually stand out more, but often its not the rule its the exception

Do you think Da Silva could be a Damian Cook type player ?

I think Da Silva can be Da Silva player different to Cook. His speed is an asset but he looks to have more ball player ability & his off the ground passing is very crisp on both sides. Having Api and Farah around him is a massive bonus. It’s very early but his development is looking very promising.

I watched alot of cook in juniors and his main attribute was pure speed & work rate his passing came later - TDS is infront passing wise same age.

some positives today, some negatives too. my thoughts below.

- this team plays for each other. high effort and application. a lot of scramble in defence, a lot of tough carries made by outside backs.

- there seems to be a clear plan in attack. the structures look effective and we were able to unlock the Warriors’ defence a few times in a manner of different ways. Api did a lot of directing and it showed when he and Sezer were taken off.

- Sezer looks like he is going to do what we have hoped for all preseason. a measured, methodical halfback who works hard and plays smart. some of his early kicks I thought were excellent and deserved his try in limited minutes. Bud didn’t overplay his hand and his pass to unlock Faataape was pretty classy, given the way he was willing to get battered to free up space.

- the middle forward trio of Utoikamanu, Klemmer and Seyfarth were all very strong. Benji’s clearly challenged Stef to be a play 1 front rower and he looks to have risen to it. Pole was great, Sione Fainu very good. Sam Fainu needs to work on his discipline, but he is the everywhere man. in everything all the time.

- Papali’i looks back to his usual self. I have high expectations. Kepaoa chased far too hard defensively, he has work to do.

- Faataape the best of the outside backs by a distance. he’s still very raw but he is a first grader. Lobb also very good and would have him ahead of Tupou based on what I saw. thought Staines was monstered in contact coming out of trouble. feel for Casey. based on what I saw today I think Willett is going to be playing first grade fairly soon.

- Kit, Simpkin and Feledy were poor. TDS got thru a mountain of work and nearly had a 40/20. Mason and Vaihu both a mixed bag. big fan of Sukkar, I think he’ll make grade in a year or two. Lui-Toso and Porter will do well for our Cup side.

looking forward to next week to see us build further on that first 25 minutes hopefully with some injury returns. far too early to tell where we’re at but signs look promising based on that initial showing.

some positives today, some negatives too. my thoughts below.

- this team plays for each other. high effort and application. a lot of scramble in defence, a lot of tough carries made by outside backs.

- there seems to be a clear plan in attack. the structures look effective and we were able to unlock the Warriors’ defence a few times in a manner of different ways. Api did a lot of directing and it showed when he and Sezer were taken off.

- Sezer looks like he is going to do what we have hoped for all preseason. a measured, methodical halfback who works hard and plays smart. some of his early kicks I thought were excellent and deserved his try in limited minutes. Bud didn’t overplay his hand and his pass to unlock Faataape was pretty classy, given the way he was willing to get battered to free up space.

- the middle forward trio of Utoikamanu, Klemmer and Seyfarth were all very strong. Benji’s clearly challenged Stef to be a play 1 front rower and he looks to have risen to it. Pole was great, Sione Fainu very good. Sam Fainu needs to work on his discipline, but he is the everywhere man. in everything all the time.

- Papali’i looks back to his usual self. I have high expectations. Kepaoa chased far too hard defensively, he has work to do.

- Faataape the best of the outside backs by a distance. he’s still very raw but he is a first grader. Lobb also very good and would have him ahead of Tupou based on what I saw. thought Staines was monstered in contact coming out of trouble. feel for Casey. based on what I saw today I think Willett is going to be playing first grade fairly soon.

- Kit, Simpkin and Feledy were poor. TDS got thru a mountain of work and nearly had a 40/20. Mason and Vaihu both a mixed bag. big fan of Sukkar, I think he’ll make grade in a year or two. Lui-Toso and Porter will do well for our Cup side.

looking forward to next week to see us build further on that first 25 minutes hopefully with some injury returns. far too early to tell where we’re at but signs look promising based on that initial showing.
Well said

The big difference I saw was the attack. We seem to have a... Plan.

I also saw our backs get involved and the team gave as good as it got.
We were very rough, Defensively we need to tighten up a little. We won by a fluke.

There is some hope...

My main concern without getting too caught up in a first up trial game, was that they played a man down for 60 minutes, yet their young forwards ran harder, looked fitter, tackled harder, were faster and stronger, and played tougher than our young forwards. That worries me about the future depth of our NRL squad.

My main concern without getting too caught up in a first up trial game, was that they played a man down for 60 minutes, yet their young forwards ran harder, looked fitter, tackled harder, were faster and stronger, and played tougher than our young forwards. That worries me about the future depth of our NRL squad.
It was hard to know how many interchanges the Warriors made, but it looked like we stayed pretty solid with our guys.

It may have just been a function of that?

Despite your comments, we only leaked 16 points. Can't be upset by that.

Looks like the effort is there.

Latest posts

Members online

Back