LIVE GAME Trial 2 vs. Dragons

Live Game Discussion
100%

Need to fire, collectively.
It was a very disappointing display.

Yeah, it's a trial.
But we should have a play to win mentality.
Every time.
I don't think there was a lack effort last night and the didn't check out.

They're just young and in some cases nit that good.

Early days Some positives

I liked the up the Middle style

Papps looked hungry for action
Klem and Steff 1 2 combination is nice
Galvin looked good
Bud Sullivan will be dangerous
Samuella and Siona are great prospects
No doubt there were some positives which you have touched on.
I agree Papali’i went ok besides his out of character lack of physicality defending which led to one or two tries. Like with Seyfarth, we cannot afford for our usually reliable defenders to be responsible for conceding any tries.
Klem & Stef have showed great signs in both trials. Neither take a backward step, both always offer good go forward, rarely miss a tackle and are virtually mistake free. Only problem is we often over use them with constant one out hit ups on 4 th tackles when we should be asking a few questions of the opposing defence.

So much for Benji’s mantra about setting standards and everyone buying in.

I think quite a few guys had their fingers crossed

but these are the deals available in the market … whats the relevance of the Top 4 when there are 17 teams competing against each other?

I highlight Lucia and Olam as shyte players getting massive overs from desperate teams… i have no doubts another team wouldn’t pay Bula what the Tigers are paying him
Who and what other team would have him as their NRL fullback ?
You’ve stated the Dragons which I believe is very unlikely, but who else ?
You might say the Bulldogs, I highly doubt that either when they have a prodigious talent such as Joash Papali’i not even getting in their NRL side.

A massive negative for me is is our inability to play straight. It's been this way for years and severely kills our attack. We had a short period years ago when Elijah Taylor was lock and played straighter then any of the current locks do, but outside of thet we have never had anyone who condenses the opposition middle. It's downright pathetic this hasn't been fixed. I was hoping the move of Seyfarth to lock was a sign this would change but Seyfarth isn't being used as I expected. He is basically being used as a 3rd prop. If we are going to play our lock like that then put Pole or Twal there.

Galvin was the only half to play straight. It was subtle but you could see our attack improve straight away. Sezer and Sullivan have been hugely dispointing in setting the tone and direction of our attack. An 18 year old kid showed much more composure and direction then both of them.

Who and what other team would have him as their NRL fullback ?
You’ve stated the Dragons which I believe is very unlikely, but who else ?
You might say the Bulldogs, I highly doubt that either when they have a prodigious talent such as Joash Papali’i not even getting in their NRL side.

I could list the teams but you would just dismiss them like you are with the Dragons, so what’s the point ? And also, it only takes one …

You keep believing that $700k should get you a Ponga or Reece Walsh like talent …

Simpkin should be traded immediately. Maybe he is a lock in your video game,.but on a NRL field, he is neither a good hooker, nor lock.
Im not sure what game U and watched yesterday or if U watched it at all, he's defence yesterday was great and was actually putting his body on the line and stopping attackers on the spot. U may not like him but he's a footballer 100%. Would I choose him over tallyn probably not hence the reason to try him at lock.

A massive negative for me is is our inability to play straight. It's been this way for years and severely kills our attack. We had a short period years ago when Elijah Taylor was lock and played straighter then any of the current locks do, but outside of thet we have never had anyone who condenses the opposition middle. It's downright pathetic this hasn't been fixed. I was hoping the move of Seyfarth to lock was a sign this would change but Seyfarth isn't being used as I expected. He is basically being used as a 3rd prop. If we are going to play our lock like that then put Pole or Twal there.

Galvin was the only half to play straight. It was subtle but you could see our attack improve straight away. Sezer and Sullivan have been hugely dispointing in setting the tone and direction of our attack. An 18 year old kid showed much more composure and direction than both of them.
💯
You have to consider that the playmakers who play straight often cop a whack after passing the ball, therefore the vast majority of players won’t do it out of fear for for body.
Galvin is so used to doing throughout his young career that he doesn’t know any different and that’s what makes him such a promising player. His only downside is he does not look exceptionally fast, therefore for him to be most effective as a 5/8 he would ideally need a very good hands on the ball halfback, a ball playing lock and a lighting fast fullback who regularly injects himself into the attack looking to create overlaps.

Last edited:
Sorry to go back to the Hastings stuff. But it was such a bad decision to let him go. He gave it a real crack, wanted to be there and marshalled (pardon the pun) the troops. We at least had some structure and a general and were starting to get some shape. Even though we lost a lot of games, we were becoming more competitive and we were seeing a bit of a culture shift. It wasn’t just about the football on the field.

Yes yes it’s a trial but we looked like a rabble again with zero effort and were completely clueless in attack and conceded soft tries in defence. I really hope this changes but tough to see it occurring without a rapid attitude shift. A proven gun outside back signing would help too but this ain’t happening…. Benji has his work cut out

💯
You have to consider that the playmakers who play straight often cop a whack after passing the ball, therefore the vast majority of players won’t do it out of fear for for body.
Galvin is so used to doing throughout his young career that he doesn’t know any different and that’s what makes him such a promising player. His only downside is he does not look exceptionally fast, therefore for him to be most effective as a 5/8 he would ideally need a very good hands on the ball halfback, a ball playing lock and a lighting fast fullback who regular injects himself into the attack looking to create overlaps.

Just on his speed, I've read a couple of times that he is quick. I agree he doesn't look it, but maybe he is quicker then we think. Let's hope so anyway. He excited me yesterday by his talk, willingness to take control, ability to play straight and physical strength.

Im not sure what game U and watched yesterday or if U watched it at all, he's defence yesterday was great and was actually putting his body on the line and stopping attackers on the spot. U may not like him but he's a footballer 100%. Would I choose him over tallyn probably not hence the reason to try him at lock.
Jake Simpkin is still very young, still improving as evidence with his much improved passing game from dummy half and nobody can deny his toughness when defending.
I think he’s a long term NRL player whether that’s with us of elsewhere.
As others have mentioned, he could be well worth having a look at him as a 13, I’m sure he’d embrace it to get a go in our starting 13.

Jake Simpkin is still very young, still improving as evidence with his much improved passing game from dummy half and nobody can deny his toughness when defending.
As others have mentioned, he could be well worth having a look at him as a 13, I’m sure he’d embrace it to get a go in our starting 13.
Yeh I completely agree with you mate, in my opinion I think he would do well as a lock hes got the passing game and can defend plus he's a strong little bugger and as U mentioned he's only young still

Simpkin carries the weight of unrealistic expectations while trying develop his craft in a losing team. Way too early to write him off.

Just on his speed, I've read a couple of times that he is quick. I agree he doesn't look it, but maybe he is quicker than we think. Let's hope so anyway. He excited me yesterday by his talk, willingness to take control, ability to play straight and physical strength.
I consider Michael Ennis a very good judge of a player and he only gives wraps to the good ones. For him to constantly praise Galvin in a badly beaten side, I believe is another very good sign of the kids talent.
As I’ve been saying I fear we don’t currently have the right players around him to let him really shine, but a lot can change from one game to another in rugby league, so let’s see what we deliver in round 2.

Reactions: BZN
Watched the Wigan v panthers game , if we need speed and a class attacking centre then Bevan French is the player we need , I have been saying this for two years
He plays 5/8 for Wigan, would be an extremely lightweight centre for NRL and what could he have done with the terrible quality ball our outside backs received last night ?
I realise you are probably talking about 2025 when it’s rumoured he wants return the NRL and it would be hopeful the inclusion of Luai helps create better opportunities for our outside backs.

Last edited:
💯
Galvin is so used to doing throughout his young career that he doesn’t know any different and that’s what makes him such a promising player. His only downside is he does not look exceptionally fast, therefore for him to be most effective as a 5/8 he would ideally need a very good hands on the ball halfback, a ball playing lock and a lighting fast fullback who regular injects himself into the attack looking to create overlaps.
It’s pretty obvious now why Galvin was considered the Smokey for a debut round 1. He’s just a better footballer than Sullivan . I can see why the 2 horse race for the 6 between him and Fainu has been the whisper all offseason . A lot to work on , nothing too diabolical .
I think the boys went in thinking a hit out , and the dragons went in thinking it’s round 1. It seemed once again we were just working towards spots ,figuring out which plays had potential , which players simply arnt it , and yea generally treating it like a trial .
The most disappointing thing was our first contact close to the line .
Ice needs to trust his edge and worry about himself . His first contact is not good enough for a big player . And that’s all intent .
The defensive structures are good . We just got beat with intent . That stuff is fixed with an ear bashing and a flogging at training .

He was right the first time.
If you refuse to see it that’s not his fault.

You & GNR should start your own thread on how
shit we are. I'd log off until we start winning If I were
you guys instead of incessantly talking down on
the club. You must be the biggest masochists lol.
All this after a trial loss, your made of pudding fmd

Latest posts

Members online

Back