Wests Tigers’ Retention Challenge

@InBenjiWeTrust said:
@bathursttiger said:
@sideline eye said:
You don't need to look at Woods directly, just watch how we go when he comes off. A great player, in my opinion.

X2

x3
Some critics on this forum didn't see too many WT games this year. :bash
His stats speak, I do not remember we ever had a prop
who was leading NRL in meters run, even when he did not play all games :smiley:
meters run per game 160.4
tackles per game 27.3
MT per game 1.3
I would not swap him even for J Bronwich :sign:

I'd swap him for Bromwich, but I'd rather both were at the Tigers.

Aaron's was one of NSW's best and his form in the UK is looking pretty good too… Its pretty clear when he only needs to focus on doing his job he gets his numbers.

Every club would love to have Aaron grinding out his work!

@Tiger Watto said:
I'd swap him for Bromwich, but I'd rather both were at the Tigers.

Aaron's was one of NSW's best and his form in the UK is looking pretty good too… Its pretty clear when he only needs to focus on doing his job he gets his numbers.

Every club would love to have Aaron grinding out his work!

Probably prefer him to be taking less hit ups in the red zone would be my only issue

@innsaneink said:
@Newtown said:
@Newtown said:
Sounds like WT have not able to retain Elijah Taylor.

Sorry for the false alarm. Some incompetent journalist initially wrote that ET had not signed with WT. The same journalist has now change words in his earlier story to now claim that ET has signed with WT.

You give him too much credit.

On Woodsy… I think he still has more to offer, could take his game to another level...his backing into the defence like a truck into a loading dock does my head in... All that usually ensures is a slow ptb
Wed miss him if he wasn't there... He needs to improve and I think there's room to

Thing is although it's not a Heighington-fast PTB, he takes so many units with him that they are still peeling off when he gets up.

He is also looking for offloads now they are permitted by the coach.

I think it's tough to criticise a guy like Woods who is selected for Australia and NSW, makes strong yards at all forms of the game and is not really a quick player, and say he could improve by speeding up his PTB and not backing through the defence.

But he is one of the best in the comp at what he does - almost never being dominated, early platform, lots of hitups and big minutes, forces the opposition to commit many bodies to him, rarely cops a legs tackle.

If he was to run faster and not worry about making yards after contact, or not looking for offloads, then sure he could get a faster PTB, but then you'd lose that threat he poses by being upright for so long and hard to pull down.

It is up to Tigers to have someone coming off the back of Woods, someone who is a fast carry and meets the line quickly, takes advantage of all the bodies Woods has pulled out of position, then gets a fast PTB. Someone like Jesse Sue if he can increase his output and consistency.

Imagine if we had a Frank Pritchard-type (in his prime), coming off the back of a Woods hitup. But we don't, we have an elite-level prop, followed up by a few ok slowish-types like Grant and Ava.

Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere but Tyler Cassell has been told he is free to find a new club effective immediately

The only prop I would break the bank for is Fifita. I know he is a loose cannon but in the Don's opinion, he is by far the best prop in the game.

Way to trade Sheensy.

@GNR4LIFE said:
I can probably count on one hand the amount of times he offloaded this year.

26 Offloads. You must have trouble buying gloves.

Talking to some guys at the pub over the weekend and they reckon Woods metre stats are padded out from kick offs. Their thoughts were that teams kick to him as they know he won't run it back hard and they can get their defence set. I'd be interested to see how many times he does take kick off and drop out runs.

Props don't usually take the ball from the kick off, it's normally passed to them by the catcher but yes, he does bring the ball back regularly. Someone has to do it and the team kicking off will have their defence really charging at the ball returner so size and courage are required. Woods has both those attributes in spades and as I've said before, just look how we go when he leaves the field.

@Tiger Tim said:
Talking to some guys at the pub over the weekend and they reckon Woods metre stats are padded out from kick offs. Their thoughts were that teams kick to him as they know he won't run it back hard and they can get their defence set. I'd be interested to see how many times he does take kick off and drop out runs.

That sounds like the kind of crap that gets talked at the pub…

@Donald Trump said:
The only prop I would break the bank for is Fifita. I know he is a loose cannon but in the Don's opinion, he is by far the best prop in the game.

Way to trade Sheensy.

Fifita didn't like the other dressing room from memory , and the WT's couldn't afford the lifetime supply of KFC in his contract

@Tiger Tim said:

I would love it for Woodsy to take 15-20 kick off runs per game….as well as 10-20 drop out runs par game...think about it...

Plod away...

:slight_smile:

@innsaneink said:
@tigeralex said:
@innsaneink said:
@tigeralex said:
:brick: Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere but Tyler Cassell has been told he is free to find a new club effective immediately

Correct

I know it is correct. That's why I wrote it

It wasnt for your benefit

That's poor form on the coaches part if true. He specifically said cassell was a player of the future in a article at start of year. Should watch what he is saying.

@Nucky Thompson said:

@innsaneink said:
@tigeralex said:
@innsaneink said:
Correct

That's poor form on the coaches part if true. He specifically said cassell was a player of the future in a article at start of year. Should watch what he is saying.

that was 12 months ago

@Nucky Thompson said:

@innsaneink said:
@tigeralex said:
@innsaneink said:
Correct

So coaches can't change opinions of players. If that were the case we might still be stuck with Siro!!

Got word from a source close to the club that Sironen was moved on so the 'block' of juniors was broken up.

I.e. Together the group, including Brooks, Moses and Tedesco, couldn't hold club ransom.

Also, Brooks most likely to move on and most likely to Bulldogs who are apparently "desperate" to have him.

I guess all will be revealed.

think our NSW cup team will come from last years HOLDEN cup side , many players either not signed or told to look else where.

Members online

Back