Wests Tigers Coaches

They may decide to make it redundant
That would be extremely foolish. We need as much expertise as possible in the football dept, including someone overseeing the whole structure (pathways, recruitment, cap analysis etc) that doesn't have to worry about coaching day to day.
Whether or not Sheens is the best man for that job is another thing, but it's definitely a structure that we should retain.

Blame Covid , he would been gone last year, a little birdy told me
Mmmm, that doesn’t have any impact at all on what decisions were made after the review.

Apart from sacking Madge, did the review also recommend:

A: we fail at ciraldo?
B: we continue to lose games?
C: we fail to get a new coach after 2 months?
D: no sign of any further recruits?
E: we get smacked by the media?

We were better off not having the review. It’s resulted in a dogs breakfast. The club is completely out of control.

Does anyone here truly believe it is shown itself to be competent?

I wonder how many fans have had enough?

The sacking of Madge prematurely has proven totally catastrophic.

And now his assassin as coach? Ffs.

That would be extremely foolish. We need as much expertise as possible in the football dept, including someone overseeing the whole structure (pathways, recruitment, cap analysis etc) that doesn't have to worry about coaching day to day.
Whether or not Sheens is the best man for that job is another thing, but it's definitely a structure that we should retain.

Not all clubs do it?

Mmmm, that doesn’t have any impact at all on what decisions were made after the review.

Apart from sacking Madge, did the review also recommend:

A: we fail at ciraldo?
B: we continue to lose games?
C: we fail to get a new coach after 2 months?
D: no sign of any further recruits?
E: we get smacked by the media?

We were better off not having the review. It’s resulted in a dogs breakfast. The club is completely out of control.

Does anyone here truly believe it is shown itself to be competent?

I wonder how many fans have had enough?

The sacking of Madge prematurely has proven totally catastrophic.

And now his assassin as coach? Ffs.
Did you enjoy TFTT

The worst part about it all is that both Clearys have been vindicated. Ivan can obviously coach, but also obviously he needs the cattle and the recruitment/development legwork done by others.

Ivan was only modestly successful at Penrith the first time, also not particularly successful at Warriors or Tigers. Pretty ballsy move to go back to the club that already sacked you once before... and I struggle to think of many instances where a sacked coach is re-hired by that club (Tigers staring down the barrel of doing the same thing).

I also was hopeful Nathan Cleary might sign with Tigers, and at that point he was a mostly unproven junior halfback. It's ballsy of Penrith also to bet the house on the player, to placate their junior halfback and add stability to the roster, by headhunting a coach you previously decided could not do the job.

So it's particularly annoying that it all worked out for Penrith so rosily and that they are vindicated in their risk-taking. Similarly galling that Roosters manoeuvred to sign both Tedesco and Cronk and win consecutive premierships, when Cronk could have lent his support to a struggling club rather than an already-established heavyweight.

First time I met Pascoe in 2020 I asked him about that, about how it must irritate him how well Cleary was doing with Penrith (after the first-year stumble in 2019). He said something like "mate you have no idea".
Yep, a huge difference in their career paths. Both Cleary’s have fat contracts, and Pascoe, who was visibly irate at the time, is still CEO at a club heading for its first spoon. Ivan did what he had to do.

Reactions: 851
Not all clubs do it?
Pretty much every club will have someone that sits at the head of the football dept. How the org charts work will vary, but we definitely need someone in there more than most given how poorly the front office has been run for the last decade (and more).

I'd love us to go out and get someone that has served a good apprenticeship under Ponissi or one of these gurus to have a year or two under Sheens and then take over and run the show.

Last edited:
Party at Madge’s is still in overdrive, no wins, no ciraldo, no coach, nothing but chaos since he was sacked.

It’s proven to be a very poor decision indeed.

He should have been given to the end of the year. Every scrap of evidence says so.

Major Tim/club blunder.
WT have only ever given two coaches contract extensions and sacked both early during that extension period.
I doubt that Sheens has the level of influence in the club’s decisions that many assume he has.
The board turned on Maguire well before Sheens was hired. I recall Pascoe’s announcement of Sheens appointment as uncomplimentary to Maguire, so by that time they had obviously had enough of him.
Why was Maguire sacked?
Why was Maguire sacked halfway through the 22 season?
I know what spokesmen from the club have said, but it seems the leakers can keep quiet about some things?

The worst part about it all is that both Clearys have been vindicated. Ivan can obviously coach, but also obviously he needs the cattle and the recruitment/development legwork done by others.

Ivan was only modestly successful at Penrith the first time, also not particularly successful at Warriors or Tigers. Pretty ballsy move to go back to the club that already sacked you once before... and I struggle to think of many instances where a sacked coach is re-hired by that club (Tigers staring down the barrel of doing the same thing).

I also was hopeful Nathan Cleary might sign with Tigers, and at that point he was a mostly unproven junior halfback. It's ballsy of Penrith also to bet the house on the player, to placate their junior halfback and add stability to the roster, by headhunting a coach you previously decided could not do the job.

So it's particularly annoying that it all worked out for Penrith so rosily and that they are vindicated in their risk-taking. Similarly galling that Roosters manoeuvred to sign both Tedesco and Cronk and win consecutive premierships, when Cronk could have lent his support to a struggling club rather than an already-established heavyweight.

First time I met Pascoe in 2020 I asked him about that, about how it must irritate him how well Cleary was doing with Penrith (after the first-year stumble in 2019). He said something like "mate you have no idea".
I think Cleary was coach when the Warriors made the grand final wasn't he?
But agreed.

I know I am going to be laughed at here but here goes

If there are no suitable coaches available why not go outside the game to secure a coach

There is a former Kangaroo and All Black player who is doing reasonably well as a coach

The club already has backs coaches, forward coaches, skills coaches etc - but what we need is a good man manager with football background

What about Brad Thorn

Now stop laughing, he has played league and Union at the top level and from what I'm told is very well respected in Union coaching ranks and is a good man manger

Brad Thorn

Surely a better option than some of the coaches being touted on this forum

I like ti think outside the square

Looking to hand the reigns over to his own assassins from some time back
- You can't write this shit.
The same assassins that stabbed him in the back a decade ago. It’s like a wrestling angle. They turned heel on him and betrayed him, then a couple years later they are all best buds like nothing happened.

I know I am going to be laughed at here but here goes

If there are no suitable coaches available why not go outside the game to secure a coach

There is a former Kangaroo and All Black player who is doing reasonably well as a coach

The club already has backs coaches, forward coaches, skills coaches etc - but what we need is a good man manager with football background

What about Brad Thorn

Now stop laughing, he has played league and Union at the top level and from what I'm told is very well respected in Union coaching ranks and is a good man manger

Brad Thorn

Surely a better option than some of the coaches being touted on this forum

I like ti think outside the square

I thought he was already coaching the reds or something?

Sheens to bring along a less experienced coach. What's wrong with that?

Better than just chucking someone in here.

Sheens needs to be given full control to fix up the place. He's in a position of power to get that too
Less experienced??? Sheens hasn't coached in the NRL for 10 years and the clubs he has been involved with in the UK are on the same trajectory as us.

I honestly believe the club leadership are morons who are eager to please the media.

TPJ is not someone to build a club around, so we cease negotiations and then go back when the media say well they need someone.

Push is on for Sheens, we sign him & next articles are that the club could not get anyone else and if he is so good why was he fired originally? What has he done in the last 10 years that makes you think he is better than he was when he left.

Less experienced??? Sheens hasn't coached in the NRL for 10 years and the clubs he has been involved with in the UK are on the same trajectory as us.

I honestly believe the club leadership are morons who are eager to please the media.

TPJ is not someone to build a club around, so we cease negotiations and then go back when the media say well they need someone.

Push is on for Sheens, we sign him & next articles are that the club could not get anyone else and if he is so good why was he fired originally? What has he done in the last 10 years that makes you think he is better than he was when he left.

Yeh sheens doesn't have experience 🙄

Latest posts

Staff online

Back