Wests Tigers Coaches

I think Ciraldo would be ideal if we can get him too. Personally, I think the game has left Sheens behind and I don't think he should be anywhere near the team in regards to player selection and tactics. ( If you go back to when he was last here, most pundits, players, and media thought the same in his final years when he failed to get quite a gifted team to the finals.

However, the one thing he has that the Tigers have struggled with for years is respect in the league. Everyone in the media especially speaks so highly of him. Since Potter, Taylor, and Madge, and to a degree Ceary when he was here the media always questioned the tigers' direction and ability to entice players to the tigers. Almost immediately the media focus has been, Tim will be able to correct course.

I think even with Ciraldo as a rookie he will have a lot of pressure taken off him now because it is expected that Tim will be in charge of the direction, and have an expectation that he will be a positive influence on recruitment. Ciraldo won't have those expectations on his head. In a way, with a more experienced coach, blurs the line a little on who is responsible for those roles.

We need to find one of ciraldos mates and his managers mate and find out what they like and dislike.

Nobody likes to be held accountable, so we basically tell Ciraldo he’s got 4 years to get us into 14th place, he’d be happy with that.

Managers need to be fed and told how wonderful they are.

Whole meal free range Lobster and King Prawn Club Mornay caught from the lowest depths of the bass straight as the appetiser embraced in a Himalayan iceberg lettuce surround.

A bottle of Chardonnay from Lees personal cellar, 1917 ( autumn crop), smuggled out of France by a German prisoner of war. Once stocked by Dwight Eisenhower and for a short time Les Boyd until the broken jaw incident.

My point is that we can’t leave this important business of recruiting a head coach in the hands of our board and officials.

They’d take cc out to The Chicken Caboose Take Away at Kingswood. All you can eat in 10 minutes for $10 Not bad food, but not appropriate for this venture.

Last edited:
Headgears also absorb the impact of collision which surely must reduce the risk of concussion.
My thoughts on headgear are that they were more popular in the good old days when scrums were competed and hookers were actually raking the ball.

They were more popular with hookers and other players that regularly stuck their heads in a scrum and were used to guard against the development of cauliflower ears as much as absorbing the many punches that occurred once a scrum packed down, not to mention the dreaded spear tackles that were much more prolific back in the "good old days."

Modern day studies would indicate that they are probably of the greatest value in the prevention of cauliflower ears and keeping your hair out of your eyes, not to mention raising the profile of players who give them away to kids in the crowd at the end of the game.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but,
I'm still not convinced that they don't provide protection against concussion.

Wouldn't this be like saying that bumper guards on cars don't offer much protection?

Bumpers absorb impact in a collision, protecting and greatly improving the safety of the driver and the cars components

Headgears also absorb the impact of collision which surely must reduce the risk of concussion.
I've been scrambling to find the reference but can't find where it says that more boxers/football players (unsure which) have suffered brain related injuries since headgear was introduced.
It was pointing out that with head gear you can sustain prolonged periods of impact where the brain moves insude the scull.
They also referenced the era of bareknuckled boxing as being safer than wearing gloves for similar reasons.
I know your going to disagree without proof but I assure it was a reputable scourse.
It could have been from one of my missus medical journals, or maybe from a playboy mag...one if the other 🤣

5 years is cool if the coach isn't a bust. I don't think Madge was a bust but they punted him prior to 5 years.

If you aren't confident the coach is going to last 5 years he shouldn't get that contract.

• Love
Reactions: BZN
As long as the 3rd year has a kpi that if he doesn't make the 8 he can be sacked without a payout.
So fast forward 3 years and same boat? Club may as well plan to remain shit I spose.

I've been scrambling to find the reference but can't find where it says that more boxers/football players (unsure which) have suffered brain related injuries since headgear was introduced.
It was pointing out that with head gear you can sustain prolonged periods of impact where the brain moves insude the scull.
They also referenced the era of bareknuckled boxing as being safer than wearing gloves for similar reasons.
I know your going to disagree without proof but I assure it was a reputable scourse.
It could have been from one of my missus medical journals, or maybe from a playboy mag...one if the other 🤣
Ponga got forced out of the game yesterday with a HIA, and he had headgear on

Yeah, it’s myth.

At any rate, he’s well known for being a pussy.

In the meantime Nate spent most of yesterday desperately trying not be tackled.

They say his shoulder is fine, I’m calling bullshit on that.

It’s still a quivering blubbery globby jellied mess under there.

All the structure of our last ten minutes v silver tails.

Does head gear not help with concussions?
Some say it does, Others say the evidence isn't there.
IMHO, I reckon it would help because at some level it will soften the impact. If better designed it will help a lot, as if it can crumple a little and then buffer it should reduce the force applied to the players head.

Even smarter, you could incorporate force detectors, ie when a player suffers force in excess of X g's and then have them off the field for 10 minutes.

^yes all soft stuff. Yes this will keep the next gen of Rugby league players out of the Dementia ward.

CC or Payton for me..
People saying CC hasn't proven himself need to think back to when a Craig Bellamy knocked us back for Storm as his 1st Head coaching Job and that turned out OK for them.. (It is still brought up to this day about a closing door moment)
I say offer 4 years and if going well after 2 add a clause to add the 5th year BUT either way we need to make it happen and not sit around waiting for a top line coach to quit there tram and come here..

So has Justin Holbrook though and yet the Titans are languishing down the shallow end of the pool like us.
Point is I'd prefer to take a chance on a coach that has a 70 odd percent win rate in a first division English comp than a coach who took over a team running fourth and coached three wins from six games as a caretaker. That's no barometer on future performance.

Exactly, as pointed out by FT, they don't necessarily help. Cricket and NFL helmets help but even those can't totally eliminate the brain from rockin 🤪

Latest posts

Back