Wests Tigers target Johnson - Widdop..

@ said:
Not sure if those numbers are correct have no info on that offer but if that is the case I'd be disappointed if it was that high for Widdop. This is literally his first season shining (and in a contract year may I add) would rather offer Foran 950k and get him.

I get confused when we hear about these offers. How much of the total is under the cap and how much is TPA? The offer for WIddop sounds a little high, but how much, if any, is TPA?

@ said:
I just hope we don't sign a 5/8 at the expense of strengthening the forward pack. Part of Widdop's resurgence has to do with the dominance the Dragons pack are laying up front, they're big, tough, no nonsense and giving him a platform to play off. We need that also if a new number 6 is going to carve up for us.

Exactly.

I would be prepared to play 2017 with a makeshift 5/8 to ensure we have the right pack. I'm still interested to see how ET would go at 6 now we have got McQueen. Our defence would be much improved, just a matter of ET being able to play off Brooks and feed Teddy (hopefully) at the right time.

I would be happy with

8.Woods
9\. McIlwrick/Liddle
10.Matulino
11.Lawrence/MCK
12.McQueen
13.Alioai

7.Brooks
6.Taylor

1.Tedesco

14.Ava
15.MCK/Lawrence

Did anyone hear we have tabled an offer to widdop's managment, 3 years for 2.6 million,I seen a story on "everything rugby league" on FB, dunno how reliable they are

Here is the link
https://goo.gl/VCB18a

@ said:
Did anyone hear we have tabled an offer to widdop's managment, 3 years for 2.6 million,I seen a story on "everything rugby league" on FB, dunno how reliable they are

Here is the link
https://goo.gl/VCB18a

Dragons offered 2.2 mill 3 years. Good offer. Hes worty it because hes a top goalkicker too. Might get him I think.

I think 2.2 over 3 will keep him there. Money is negligible at that level. Puts them in trouble with signing others though so even if we miss out I am glad we forced their hand.

Gus and everyone else is right, these prices are ridiculous, over inflated and players are holding clubs to ransom through their greedy managers

Wish NRL would come out and set award wages !!

Its sickening at whats being offered to players

@ said:
I think 2.2 over 3 will keep him there. Money is negligible at that level. Puts them in trouble with signing others though so even if we miss out I am glad we forced their hand.

That is how I see it too, Widdop stays we target Johnson I say.

@ said:
I just hope we don't sign a 5/8 at the expense of strengthening the forward pack. Part of Widdop's resurgence has to do with the dominance the Dragons pack are laying up front, they're big, tough, no nonsense and giving him a platform to play off. We need that also if a new number 6 is going to carve up for us.

Agreed strengthen our pack and the backs will have a better foundation to work from.At the moment we have a fairly mediocre pack.If we manage to keep Woods/Tedesco our key signings should be in the forwards with one more centre

@ said:

You reckon 400K over 3 years is negligible? Don't ever become my accountant.

@ said:
Are we seriously going to value him at this ridiculous amount just because he is "in form"? Form is temporary. Remember how rubbish he was last year?

Spot on mate. People are wetting themselves over this bloke because he has played 6 decent games this season? RL is madness these days where a bloke plays a handful of good games and suddenly he is "elite" and their asking price shoots through the roof (Think of the hype around Moses after 4-5 good games at the end of last year). It is definitely an era where "great form" is basically 2 good games in a row. Madness.
People seem to also forget that the teams the Dragons have beaten this year are mostly clubs who are in the bottom half of the comp, judgement on how good Widdop and the Dragons team as a whole are should be reserved until they have mixed it with the big guns of the NRL. They have proved nothing so far IMO.
That said, it would be great to have a better than average goalkicker if we were to sign Widdop. Would be the difference between winning or losing an extra 2 or 3 games per season.
Also Widdop being a Pom means we would never have to worry about losing him during the year if he was in good enough form to be considered for Origin. Big bonus.

@ said:
@ said:

Lol 166k pa for 3 years to uproot a young family and move from Gong to one of the most expensive parts of Sydney and rescind captaincy right as the club is finally putting some results on the table. When he is going to be on near to 800k pa anyway. I wouldn't care about the extra money considering all that. I would say we are buckleys.

Neither Johnson or Widdop have shown that they can play behind an average pack. Everyone was saying Widdop was finished last year and Johnson is Benji 2.0\. Funny how just because the Dragons forwards are dominating so far this season that everyone has changed their opinion so quickly. He still can't defend. Johnson isn't worth the $ he's after.
I'd be going after Foran

Widdop is all class - Was great before the Dragons signed him a new halves partner and has been great since he left.
Benjiball ruined his game - There's nothing wrong with Gareth, I would prefer Maloney though…

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Lol 166k pa for 3 years to uproot a young family and move from Gong to one of the most expensive parts of Sydney and rescind captaincy right as the club is finally putting some results on the table. When he is going to be on near to 800k pa anyway. I wouldn't care about the extra money considering all that. I would say we are buckleys.

Thats a crap load of money in anyone's language !!
Does he even live in the gong? Even if he does, he wouldn't need to move.

@ said:
Widdop is all class - Was great before the Dragons signed him a new halves partner and has been great since he left.
Benjiball ruined his game - There's nothing wrong with Gareth, I would prefer Maloney though…

Spot on. He played shit last year because he and benji didnt work.. Like ben hunt and milford. They seem to play solo instead of working together..

@ said:
@ said:
Are we seriously going to value him at this ridiculous amount just because he is "in form"? Form is temporary. Remember how rubbish he was last year?

Spot on mate. People are wetting themselves over this bloke because he has played 6 decent games this season? RL is madness these days where a bloke plays a handful of good games and suddenly he is "elite" and their asking price shoots through the roof (Think of the hype around Moses after 4-5 good games at the end of last year). It is definitely an era where "great form" is basically 2 good games in a row. Madness.
People seem to also forget that the teams the Dragons have beaten this year are mostly clubs who are in the bottom half of the comp, judgement on how good Widdop and the Dragons team as a whole are should be reserved until they have mixed it with the big guns of the NRL. They have proved nothing so far IMO.
That said, it would be great to have a better than average goalkicker if we were to sign Widdop. Would be the difference between winning or losing an extra 2 or 3 games per season.
Also Widdop being a Pom means we would never have to worry about losing him during the year if he was in good enough form to be considered for Origin. Big bonus.

Well you say they haven't beaten anyone.

Rd 1: They thrashed the Panthers by 32 points when nobody gave them a chance, Panthers are known for their attack and Dragons kept them to 10 points.

Rd 2: Lost to the Eels while they were in great form. I don't think any side in the competition could've stopped Parramatta that night and you have to give credit to Parramatta

Rd 3: A real show of character as they held out the reigning premiers for a gutsy 6-point win. Keep in mind the week before Sharks thrashed Canberra by 26 points so they were going into that game in good form and full of confidence.

Rd 4: They beat a Warriors side who were poor but still won by a convincing 14 points.

Rd 5: Good performance from the Dragons, move on

Rd 6: IMO this was theit game of the season so far. Their performance against Manly was superb. They showed how much of a class team they are. It was expected to be a tight match as both sides were going into the match with good form, and Manly were slight favourites. Dragons demolished Manly in their own backyard and Gareth Widdop had one of the best games of the season.

This is were the sides they played are currently ranked on the ladder:

Panthers: 12th
Eels: 13,=12th
Sharks: 3rd
Warriors: 10th, =6th
Manly: 8th, =6th

Latest posts

Back