What to do with Grubby?

@ said:
Don't know if anyone notice but he attempted a couple leg trips

No.. I didn't notice

I agree with others on his defence… Really getting stuck in... Love his enthusiasm & he will only improve with time.
What a fantastic win for your debut with your new club
Onya grub!

@ said:
@ said:
To be honest I was a bit shocked yesterday when he came on…he looks nothing like he did at the Dogs...and I thought Tui looked slow
Hes no dummyhalf ...the squad really is unbalanced
Cleary is under pressure to play him as our marquee
I just hope he improves and gets match fitness quickly

The more you post the more I think your either JT or a family member of his. Cleary and pressure is something that doesn’t exist. Nofa and tui have both been dropped and they are our highest paid outsde backs. Obviously Ivan sees something in reynnolds and thinks he has to be in our to 17\. It’s his first game back, he needs match fitness and once he gets it we will get our money’s worth. You harped on about our attack and look how well it’s going. Must be getting hard for you.

Settle down ….. for goodness sake everyone has an opinion on this site worth considering.
As far Reynolds ... he will fit in well enough and it’s a long season.
For yesterday he did well for the level of match fitness he had.

He looked so happy when he came on and tried his best. When his stint was finished he was totally buggered which you would expect. More games, more fitness and he will improve.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
To be honest I was a bit shocked yesterday when he came on…he looks nothing like he did at the Dogs...and I thought Tui looked slow

The more you post the more I think your either JT or a family member of his. Cleary and pressure is something that doesn’t exist. Nofa and tui have both been dropped and they are our highest paid outsde backs. Obviously Ivan sees something in reynnolds and thinks he has to be in our to 17\. It’s his first game back, he needs match fitness and once he gets it we will get our money’s worth. You harped on about our attack and look how well it’s going. Must be getting hard for you.

Settle down ….. for goodness sake everyone has an opinion on this site worth considering.

Don’t get your knickers in a knot mate, you need to settle down. I was responding to a post that said our squad is unbalanced and that Cleary was under pressure to play Reynolds. Which is my opinion, is that okay?

@ said:

I know I saw 1 of them and thought gee that’s his bad habit rearing. But in all honesty I think he needs a couple of games in ISP to get match fitness. As Eliajah is due back and would warrant at least a bench spot.

@ said:
@ said:

I know I saw 1 of them and thought gee that’s his bad habit rearing. But in all honesty I think he needs a couple of games in ISP to get match fitness. As Eliajah is due back and would warrant at least a bench spot.

Didn't see any attempted leg trips myself. Would he be that stupid?

@ said:
What concerned me about benji yesterday was I believe he actually took away from Luke's game. Luke was on fire early then Benji started getting it too much and we looked legless as a result. He had 4 very poor last tackle options. His only good last tackle options were his bombs, which were great. Poor pass over the sideline was a shocker.

Great 2 tries, great defence, great bombs….all very good. But let's not pretend the poor wasn't really poor. His 2 grubbers straight into Manly players turning the ball over, passing to Lawrence on a short blind to kick, throwing the ball the Esarn on a short blind to kick, these are last tackle options that should have went to Brooks. That's the problem with Benji, if he does a couple of good things, he then takes the ball too much. Give it to Brooks 70% of the time please on the last.

I'm not trying to bag Benji, I'm very happy he's here and very happy with what he has done. But there are signs there that worry me. I think Brooks taking even more control and Reynolds sitting back getting the ball when Luke wants him to get it would be a better balance. Just my opinion.

Some valid points but Benji is a legend. Truth is like all champions his poor comes at times which are less important whereas his good moments come at key times.
I feel he adds to Brooks because he dosent take away any of confidence while making Brooks feel he has a reliable back stop. He was signed to do this without playing and we got a bonus. At the moment if Reynolds partnered Brooks they both may try to out do the other so it wouldn't work as well. Reynolds is great just in the squad. His moment will come. On the bench for now for me.

The club is blessed in having a player such as Reynolds who, when fit, can come off the bench and enthuse the team with his attitude and energetic tackling irrespective of which position he is required to take over.

I can't see Reynolds doing any better than Benji is at 6\. Benji is going great and the balance with Brooks is getting better each game. You can't change a winning team, even if Reynolds is on big bucks (McQueen still in reggies).

Bench hooker for the next few weeks. Liddle could play 80 but Josh giving him a spell will only keep him fresh for when he comes back on late.

I think Reynolds will have to accept this position for this season and as long as the team doesn't suffer when he comes on at dummy half, then keep him there to spell Liddle. If we do suffer from this interchange then its ISP for Reynolds unless injuries hit.

Reynolds ruck defence was great. He proved and made some metres out of DH. Yes his execution suffered as his fatigue kicked in but that will not last.
Excellent replacement for Liddle atm. 14 next week for sure imo.
Also, Benji and Brooks were outstanding. Always going to have some errors when you’re playing instinctively

I may be wrong but wasn't the team always going to have this scenario, just the other way around?? J.Rey at 6 and Benji coming off the bench (which were all assumptions I gather). Nice problem to have.

Reynolds has not played consistent footy for an age he will need time. He looked real nervous to me. New club lots of expectation and a team that has been going great guns without him.
It will take time to see how best fits, and there is a possibility that it may be behind those already there.

Very Happy with the team effort against Manly
I would keep the same team with Grub on the bench
He seamed a little slow yesterday and needs the match fitness and I think easing him back is a good option off the bench
May pay to keep Taylor out for another week to make sure he has fully recovered
As i mentioned earlier I thought Tommy Turbo may be coming back to early from injury and that didn't work out to well for them
We don,t want to make the same mistake
Taylor is to valuable to our team to risk if not at 100%

Wouldn't change anything, keep it as is. JR coming off the bench.

From that game he needs to be playing ISP in the short term. He was completely buggered after playing just 20 mins.

Liddle was also out injured for 8 months and had far fewer problems with fitness on return. Grub also played and trained most of the preseason where Liddle didn't.

Maybe getting a good 60-80 mins in ISP for a week or two will help him get up to speed?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Don’t get your knickers in a knot mate, you need to settle down. I was responding to a post that said our squad is unbalanced and that Cleary was under pressure to play Reynolds. Which is my opinion, is that okay?

And my opinion is the squads unbalanced and there's pressure on the coach to play our highest paid new recruit.

Which also doesn't mean I don't want him in the team.

Stating your opinion is fine but there is no need to bring JT into it every single time…. He has nothing to do with this topic and people are getting Jack of it... Play a different tune for once... Move forward for Christ's sake

@ said:
From that game he needs to be playing ISP in the short term. He was completely buggered after playing just 20 mins.

Liddle was also out injured for 8 months and had far fewer problems with fitness on return. Grub also played and trained most of the preseason where Liddle didn't.

Maybe getting a good 60-80 mins in ISP for a week or two will help him get up to speed?

20-30 minutes of full NRL intensity is probably not that far off 60-80 minutes at ISP where the intensity drops markedly after 20 minutes anyway. As bench hooker we probably only want 20-30 minutes out of him anyway because the longer he's on the more time Liddle is off. I'd keep it as is, his attitude is likely to be a positive for the NRL side with Packer out in the short term.

Grubby to continue on the bench and play a role at hooker or the halves depending on how the game is going….

I must admit though Liddle was on fire yesterday as was Benji and Brooks...so it will be hard to take any 3 off for a rest....

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

And my opinion is the squads unbalanced and there's pressure on the coach to play our highest paid new recruit.

Which also doesn't mean I don't want him in the team.

Stating your opinion is fine but there is no need to bring JT into it every single time…. He has nothing to do with this topic and people are getting Jack of it... Play a different tune for once... Move forward for Christ's sake

When you stop implying people have multiple accounts to back up opinions that differ to yours then I’m happy to bring up JT. Don’t play the moral high ground only when it suits you.

Back on topic we have had a hooker on the bench for every game and we are 5-1\. Unbalanced?? I don’t think so. While Reynolds is not match fit, he could play any position in our backline so adds cover there plus plays hooker which makes our squad more balanced. As for pressure to play Reynolds?? From who is this pressure being applied. He didn’t feel pressure to drop Nofa or lolohea , so why would that change wiTh Reynolds.

He has to just keep playing that role off the bench and see where we're at in a few weeks.

To be brutally honest and no disrespect to him but right now we don't really need him, that's a sign of how good we're going right there.
We bought the heart and soul of another NRL club he was our major recruit and he can't make the team.
That's just the reality of how we're going at the moment.

Back