Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476352) said:
@telltails said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476350) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476343) said:
@telltails said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476342) said:
@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476320) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476318) said:
@426tlgerland said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476309) said:
Shane Flanagan for me , he is first grade NRL level coach , was very well liked by his players at sharks, won a comp , had them competitive year on year , , he’s still around the game , knows plenty of nrl level players , and is very smart operator , also comes over well in his view of games alongside Cronk who I think both have very good footy brains , smarts will always out perform muscle , just my opinion

He had the Sharks playing a tough and smart style of footy when he coached. I know he is still well thought of in the Shire. If you read about him, he reviewed the strengths of his players and devised a game plan to suit.

He's the best available.
Unless a rookie is the thoughts...

Our team for the most part acts like rookies.
Bet Ciraldo will love being one of the boys.
Remind him of his playing days.

But there's a job to do.
We need some one that is ready to do the job.

No nonsense flanno please.

Gallen Lewis Ennis Fifita Graham Maloney Barba Holmes in career best form - that's what brought Flannagan and the Sharks success and attracted other players to the club. There is no one in our squad even close to the quality of those players. The quick fix is not going to happen and he will face the same challenges as Maguire. Rosters make and break coaches.

So the fact they were in career best form has nothing to do with Flanagan? There are quite a few egos in that group which seems to confirm Flanagan is a very good person manager, something we need at WTs.

It demonstrates the huge difference in the ability of the squad he would be taking on, much like the situation for Maguire.
Every argument you make for Flannagan could be matched to Maguire however the big problem that you wont address and is a barrier for both - is the lack of quality in the current playing squad, and a club that historically can't attract quality players.
Two problems that neither of those coaches faced at their previous clubs when they achieved success.

Read the Hooper article and he writes words to the effect that the Club has been informed in no uncertain terms why it has difficulty recruiting players.

I don't have to read anything Hooper writes to know that we as a club have not been able to recruit players for years.

@aceshigh said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475882) said:
Madge should be the one for mine , why would anyone want to come here when at any time the club shifts the goal posts , its time this club had the balls to stand up for what they believe in and get rid of these clowns who wanna run the footy team instead of doing their jobs in the office

Who are these clowns from the office trying to run the footy team? Do you mean the CEO whose job is to oversee the whole organisation and be across all aspects of the club or do you mean the Head of Football whose role is explained through his title.
I see many deficiencies at Wests Tigers but admin meddling in football isn’t one of them. I know for a fact that the football department were given everything they requested this year. No resource request was turned down.

@telltails said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476353) said:
Shane Flanagan for me , he is first grade NRL level coach , was very well liked by his players at sharks, won a comp , had them competitive year on year , , he’s still around the game , knows plenty of nrl level players , and is very smart operator , also comes over well in his view of games alongside Cronk who I think both have very good footy brains , smarts will always out perform muscle , just my opinion

He had the Sharks playing a tough and smart style of footy when he coached. I know he is still well thought of in the Shire. If you read about him, he reviewed the strengths of his players and devised a game plan to suit.

He's the best available.

But there's a job to do.

Gallen Lewis Ennis Fifita Graham Maloney Barba Holmes in career best form - that's what brought Flannagan and the Sharks success and attracted other players to the club. There is no one in our squad even close to the quality of those players. The quick fix is not going to happen and he will face the same challenges as Maguire. Rosters make and break coaches.

So the fact they were in career best form has nothing to do with Flanagan? There are quite a few egos in that group which seems to confirm Flanagan is a very good person manager, something we need at WTs.

It demonstrates the huge difference in the ability of the squad he would be taking on, much like the situation for Maguire.
Every argument you make for Flannagan could be matched to Maguire however the big problem that you wont address and is a barrier for both - is the lack of quality in the current playing squad, and a club that historically can't attract quality players.
Two problems that neither of those coaches faced at their previous clubs when they achieved success.

Read the Hooper article and he writes words to the effect that the Club has been informed in no uncertain terms why it has difficulty recruiting players.

I don't have to read anything Hooper writes to know that we as a club have not been able to recruit players for years.

As I wrote on the other thread, if the club wanted to know why players don't come to WTs wouldn't discussions with player managers take place?

I think it has always been Flanagan on the board's wish list. As I have previously stated I would be shocked if Ciraldo joins the club. As much as I don't think getting rid of Madge is the answer unfortunately I have been addicted to this club since 1989 and I will continue to support whoever is in charge.' Just hope they get rid of Nofo and Brooks.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476358) said:
@telltails said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476353) said:

He's the best available.

But there's a job to do.

As I wrote on the other thread, if the club wanted to know why players don't come to WTs wouldn't discussions with player managers take place?

I don't know. All I do know is we can't buy them and in recent times we have trouble retaining them too - and that has all been happening prior to Maguire. I see it as a club issue which is a far bigger problem than a coach issue because it makes more people accountable.

@terry-t-nuts said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476362) said:
I think it has always been Flanagan on the board's wish list. As I have previously stated I would be shocked if Ciraldo joins the club. As much as I don't think getting rid of Madge is the answer unfortunately I have been addicted to this club since 1989 and I will continue to support whoever is in charge.' Just hope they get rid of Nofo and Brooks.

Madge should be the coach, sacking the coach now is ridicules.
The definition of stupidity is to continue doing the same thing and expecting a different out come.

@twentyforty said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476346) said:
@tiger_heart said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476340) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476338) said:
Riccio saying on SEN Madge could be sacked as early as today

Yeah, heard that too...Dead man walking, apparently.

In light of that, I guess the plan is to have Sheens fulfil his original job as floater and caretake until a replacement is found?
Can anyone remain in doubt about how we have become a bottom of the ladder side?
I think the question in my mind is..why didn’t we pick up the spoon in 21? Were the Bulldogs that much better than us at board incompetence?

Well let’s make that call today then. Can’t let the Madge saga go on any further. We are being bashed in the media.

@enmoretiger-0 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476365) said:
@terry-t-nuts said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476362) said:

Madge should be the coach, sacking the coach now is ridicules.
The definition of stupidity is to continue doing the same thing and expecting a different out come.

Seriously not understanding your point. You are saying we should keep Madge, but stupidity is continuing doing the same thing and expecting a different out come? How do these two things go together?

Sorry @cochise

I'm all in on Flannagan.
I think he's more what we need than Ciraldo.

I'm sure he'll bring some decent assistants with him too.

Defence coach : Paul Gallen.
In a Tigers polo.
Never would i have thought....

@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476382) said:
Sorry @cochise

I'm all in on Flannagan.

In a Tigers polo.

I can't be ok with risking the health of young people to win football games

@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476400) said:
Sorry @cochise

I'm all in on Flannagan.

In a Tigers polo.

That's not OK, in general.
However I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

The Polls closed but if it comes down to Madge being moved on in Favour of Sheens.
By that I mean over the past 3 years Madge being a senior coach has been a Coach, Coaching director, pathways manager etc, I don’t think anyone can deny that Madge hasn’t been focusing solely on the ‘coaching’ of the football squad. He has been the biggest contributor in trying to reshape the Wests Tigers on the playing paddock for the future.

So as mentioned it seems that Sheens will take on all the roles above except the head coach job.

Now call me crazy but I really only see one coach that can work with Sheens and can work with this club and that is Todd Payten.
I know he is still contracted for two more seasons and unfortunately since Ivan Cleary did the dirty on us the rules of approaching a coach mid contract have changed which makes this all the more difficult.

It’s been mentioned that we need an identity. People fans, media a like want to see Wests Tigers return to Wests Tigers football?

What is that? Well I can only assume it is Tim Sheens’ philosophy of coaching.

I always saw Payten being our coaching successor, Brought to the club in 2004 by Sheens to quote “add a bit of nous amongst the hard running forwards”. He was integral to not only 2005 as a mid 20 yo but also in 2010 and 2011 as a 30 year old. Payten was like our coach on the field. Funny considering that Sheens was also a front row forward known for being too smart to be part of the front row forwards club.

Payten had Lvl 2 coaching qualifications before retirement and as a result jumped straight in to coaching our 20s in 2012 and 2013. Premiers in 2012 and a top 6 place again in 2013. Joining Potters coaching staff we know what was rumoured in 2014 around the time of everything falling apart for potter but what was really confirmed? He was outed as a white ant and supposedly on the outer of club but still applied for the Head Coach role at the end.
What can’t be denied though is our attack was pretty scintillating in 2014 with our young spine and our defence wasn’t too bad either. I wonder who it was that was responsible for that because straight from the horses mouth of our Captain was that “Potter couldn’t coach”. Could it be that Payten was actually a victim of the playing group by having a bunch of players quickly identifying whom was tactically responsible for the in game strategies in 2014?

It’s often said that the club has always allowed the players to rule the roost in this club.

Well I disagree if the players had their way, Payten would of been made head coach instead of Jason Taylor.

The appointment of Jason Taylor was our board saying to the playing group ‘Get in line’ we are in charge.

I don’t feel we have recovered ever since…

@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476402) said:
Sorry @cochise

I'm all in on Flannagan.

In a Tigers polo.

In my opinion it is not worth the risk and I will find it extremely difficult to support him as coach. Would rather keep madge

@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476412) said:
Sorry @cochise

I'm all in on Flannagan.

In a Tigers polo.

In my opinion it is not worth the risk and I will find it extremely difficult to support him as coach. Would rather keep madge

Just to clarify, your issue is with the use of peptides?
That's what you believe caused harm to the young people?

@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475591) said:
@strongee said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475586) said:
So, is Madge gone ? Or have we seen reason and realised the guy needs assistants born this side of 1970 ? Not being ageist , but the super coach worked this out a long time ago . You need guys , who’ve played with and against modern tactics . Plus it immediately stops players making excuses like “what would you know” .

Who are the smartest assistants / up and coming coaches , who could make the difference ?
Does anyone have any ideas ? There’s the Penrith Cabal types , but is there a Demetriou type , grinding away coaching Shellharbour cutters ?

Madge doesn't want those sort of assistants, hence why we have the assistants we have.

That's a big statement cochise. But do you have the facts to support it?

I'd be happy with
Payten and Sheens helping
Morris and Sheens helping
Crialdo and Sheens helping
Not interested in
Flannagan
Maguire
Green

@magpies1963 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476428) said:
@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475591) said:
@strongee said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475586) said:
So, is Madge gone ? Or have we seen reason and realised the guy needs assistants born this side of 1970 ? Not being ageist , but the super coach worked this out a long time ago . You need guys , who’ve played with and against modern tactics . Plus it immediately stops players making excuses like “what would you know” .

Who are the smartest assistants / up and coming coaches , who could make the difference ?
Does anyone have any ideas ? There’s the Penrith Cabal types , but is there a Demetriou type , grinding away coaching Shellharbour cutters ?

Madge doesn't want those sort of assistants, hence why we have the assistants we have.

That's a big statement cochise. But do you have the facts to support it?

He selected his assistants.
Could've done a lot better IMO.

(Ben Gardiner aside, but he doesn't have as much involvement with first grade)

@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476417) said:
@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476412) said:
Sorry @cochise

I'm all in on Flannagan.

In a Tigers polo.

Just to clarify, your issue is with the use of peptides?
That's what you believe caused harm to the young people?

No one knows what they were injected with.

Members online

Back