Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers

@coivtny said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476540) said:
@gallagher said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476536) said:
If they sack Madge and have to pay him out $750k they will employ a cheap rookie.

I really doubt that. They mightn't choose the right coach to our way of thinking but I don't think money will be a key factor in their thinking.

Well over $1mill will be spent on Madge and Mbye to go away. I'm not sure we're that flushed.

@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476441) said:
@magpies1963 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476428) said:
@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475591) said:
@strongee said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475586) said:
So, is Madge gone ? Or have we seen reason and realised the guy needs assistants born this side of 1970 ? Not being ageist , but the super coach worked this out a long time ago . You need guys , who’ve played with and against modern tactics . Plus it immediately stops players making excuses like “what would you know” .

Who are the smartest assistants / up and coming coaches , who could make the difference ?
Does anyone have any ideas ? There’s the Penrith Cabal types , but is there a Demetriou type , grinding away coaching Shellharbour cutters ?

Madge doesn't want those sort of assistants, hence why we have the assistants we have.

That's a big statement cochise. But do you have the facts to support it?

He selected his assistants.
Could've done a lot better IMO.

(Ben Gardiner aside, but he doesn't have as much involvement with first grade)

G'day @Demps...thanks for that info, but do we really know that Madge was the only person to throw his hat into the ring for his assistants.
But the original statement from @cochise was "Madge doesnt want those sort of assistants" and I asked "do you have facts to support it"?
Reason why I am asking is... there has been talk on here about Madge being afraid of being stabbed in the back again.
I reckon with the strength of character that would be needed to be an NRL coach, it would be highly unlikely for Madge to hang on to those past feelings for so long.
Therefore I also feel it would be highly unlikely that Madge would put his own personal feelings in front of Whats Good For Our Team.

@magpies1963 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476555) said:
@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476441) said:
@magpies1963 said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476428) said:
@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475591) said:
@strongee said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1475586) said:
So, is Madge gone ? Or have we seen reason and realised the guy needs assistants born this side of 1970 ? Not being ageist , but the super coach worked this out a long time ago . You need guys , who’ve played with and against modern tactics . Plus it immediately stops players making excuses like “what would you know” .

Who are the smartest assistants / up and coming coaches , who could make the difference ?
Does anyone have any ideas ? There’s the Penrith Cabal types , but is there a Demetriou type , grinding away coaching Shellharbour cutters ?

Madge doesn't want those sort of assistants, hence why we have the assistants we have.

That's a big statement cochise. But do you have the facts to support it?

He selected his assistants.
Could've done a lot better IMO.

(Ben Gardiner aside, but he doesn't have as much involvement with first grade)

G'day @Demps...thanks for that info, but do we really know that Madge was the only person to throw his hat into the ring for his assistants.
But the original statement from @cochise was "Madge doesnt want those sort of assistants" and I asked "do you have facts to support it"?
Reason why I am asking is... there has been talk on here about Madge being afraid of being stabbed in the back again.
I reckon with the strength of character that would be needed to be an NRL coach, it would be highly unlikely for Madge to hang on to those past feelings for so long.
Therefore I also feel it would be highly unlikely that Madge would put his own personal feelings in front of Whats Good For Our Team.

I always felt like he hired those jokers because they were his friends.
Looking out for his boys type thing, as he used them at south's also till the club stepped in and made the hard calls and sacked them.
Then Siebold rolled in and wanted his job and got him iced.

No denying Madge showed some passion throughout his time at the Tigers, or at least the doco would lead us to believe that.... however results speak for themselves.

I don't know what the right outcome should or could be... but it's been very evident some better assistants have been needed over Madges tenure.

@gallagher said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476546) said:
If they sack Madge and have to pay him out $750k they will employ a cheap rookie.

I really doubt that. They mightn't choose the right coach to our way of thinking but I don't think money will be a key factor in their thinking.

Well over $1mill will be spent on Madge and Mbye to go away. I'm not sure we're that flushed.

Madge's farewell cost won't come out of the Players' Cap.

@426tlgerland said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476533) said:
I’m under the impression Flanagan did not know players were getting injected with that gear and stopped it straight away , weather that’s true or not I don’t know , but I’m sure he copped it for not knowing as he was in charge , if he was requesting the players to get those shots I think his punishment would have been a bit more harsh , , anyway time will tell who comes in if the rumours of Madge departing are true , but time is not on our side we need a call made and get on with the business of preparing and purchasing players for a competitive side next season

He was head coach, it was his responsibility to know.

They’re gonna need to sell some hats
Joke of a club

My opinion.
I really like Madge and supported him the whole way through.
Then I saw the documentary and the players don’t even make eye contact with him when he addresses them.
Then, thinking about the rumours of players not wanting to join the club because of Madge.
Personally I would love to play for a guy like him. The problem is it seems a majority of our players and prospective new players don’t.
Then of course this - we really haven’t improved at all since he has been here.
He is a Premiership winning coach but perhaps the game has changed too much for his once effective style of coaching.
I think we need a change.
Again, I really like the bloke but I doubt we will improve under him.

I wanted Ciraldo all along. Mainly because of him being a defensive expert, young coach with fresh ideas etc.

Now I am worried that maybe it is too risky putting a young, relatively inexperienced coach in charge.

The more I think about Flanagan the more I like tge idea. Obviously a good coach who it looks like has the respect of his former players.
Also comes across as a bloke who won’t take any crap.

Id be happy with either of these guys.
I don’t want anyone else. Especially Paul Green

Id rather @MAGPIES1963 and @Jedi_Tiger as co-coaches than have Flanagan.

If they change the coach it wouldn’t make any difference who it is, unless his name is Wayne Bennett.
Maybe?

I have massive concerns around the direction we are moving in.

I think Madge has been a major disappointment, and do not object to him being moved on.

I do have problems on a couple of fronts:
- you do not make this move unless you have a clear plan moving forward. Who are we looking at, or is there as decision that anyone is better?
- given the ever expanding role that Sheens seems to be taking on, who would come here? Would you take responsibility for outcomes that you do not have control over? I can't see Flanagan or Ciraldo coming here to be the 2IC behind Sheens.

My preferences get Ciraldo or Woolf in.

Keep Green, Wane & McNamara a long way away.

Short term is a problem. I would like to lock in James Maloney in some sort of role . Pay him heaps and give him a pathway .Can't be too hard to get a coaching ticket. He likes the $$$$ as well.

@newtown said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476571) said:

Madge's farewell cost won't come out of the Players' Cap.

That's right, but it could affect how much we're paying the next guy.

Pascoe plans to replace him with a postage stamp. He’s good with money like that.

@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476593) said:
Id rather @MAGPIES1963 and @Jedi_Tiger as co-coaches than have Flanagan

Haha too good Cochise
Nofoaluma first bloke picked in my team :p

@jedi_tiger said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476672) said:
@cochise said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476593) said:
Id rather @MAGPIES1963 and @Jedi_Tiger as co-coaches than have Flanagan

Haha too good Cochise
Nofoaluma first bloke picked in my team :p

Sacked on the first day...

That must be a first. ❤

Well I have heard a rumour

Supposedly Ciraldo said NO

That is funny ...real funny ...up there with the Bellamy NO

@happy_tiger said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476680) said:

The narrative of the year....

We go for Ciraldo (Latrell, JAC)
He says no

We go back to Flannagan,
He's offended and moved on. (TPJ)

And we end up with Paul Green.
(Maumalo, Pauga, Gildart)

💔

@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476684) said:

He says no

We go back to Flannagan,

?

You watch .....we will end up with either Wane or Woolf

And that might be me done ....me reckons

It may be up there. It may be also be premature to say that Ciraldo has what it takes to be a top level coach like Bellamy.

He is totally unproven at this stage. Plenty of these guys cant handle the responsibility of the top job.

@happy_tiger said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476687) said:
@demps said in [Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers](/post/1476684) said:

He says no

We go back to Flannagan,

?

You watch .....we will end up with either Wane or Woolf

And that might be me done ....me reckons

Sounds like we'll take what we can get.
Just like when it comes to recruiting players.
Dark times ahead.

Latest posts

Members online

Back