Who would you guys like as our defensive coach next year

liltiger

Hi all another pre October offseason for us long suffering tiger fans. Really disappointed with yesterday with so much to play for I was hoping for a better performance, but overall I'm stoked with how our season went I guess because of our improvement on the ladder and seeing the development of Moses and teddy in particular and the team as a whole has left me confident with a few decent signings in the right positions we will raise our game to another level. The most important signing we have to make is for Kidwells replacement. A good defensive coach will help heaps all year it was our defense that was our problem. Who would you guys like to take over the defensive coaching role at the tigers. For me I'd love to have Steve Folks back.
Btw sorry if a similar thread has already been started I couldn't seem to find it.

Tommy or Blocker. The motto would be "they can't run without heads".
Hard to say really, Gillmeister or Jason Hetherington would be a good start.
Defensive coaches aren't miracle workers though when all is said and done- players' individually need to have that hunger and tenacity in defence. All the fancy words and speeches in the world mean jack if a player doesn't want to rip in. We as a club seem to prefer the fancy, pretty stuff over the blood n thunder approach.

Someone that will kick butt and get this group working as a team in defence ,this rubbish dished up this year has to stop ..I do not care who it is the philosophy this club has re defence has to change and there is 6 months to change it!

Holbrook In The Frame
Posted: 14 April, 2016 by The 7th Tackle
\
\
Out-of-work Ivan Cleary is widely regarded as the next NRL coach in waiting, should any club decide to wield the axe in the near future. But don’t discount Roosters assistant Justin Holbrook.

The former Knights, Panthers and Roosters playmaker has caught the attention of several rival clubs – and we’re not referring to the obvious: Wests Tigers or New Zealand.

Firstly, he went extremely close to beating Nathan Brown for the Newcastle job last year. We’ve even heard the Knights were poised to appoint him until the Roosters insisted that Holbrook fulfill his contract at Bondi Junction.

In short, the Chooks were fed-up with releasing assistant coaches after Paul Green and Jason Taylor were poached in previous years. Holbrook is a Canterbury junior who learned the coaching ropes at Belmore.

We’re tipping he’ll come right into calculations should the Bulldogs not strike a new deal with Des Hasler, who comes off contract at the end of next season.

Andrew Gee could also help with some TPA's I hear that he has some brown paper bags left over.

It's more of a mental thing than a technique thing imo. Most of our boys just don't want to go to war. So I say bring in military drill sargeants.

From Brumbies Website

Peter Ryan | Defence Coach

Dubbed with a “holistic” coaching approach from Head Coach Stephen Larkham, Peter Ryan has been a welcome addition to the Brumbies coaching staff during the 2015 preseason. Ryan self-addresses his coaching style in a similar manner, suggesting that “intensive” would be the most accurate term to apply to his methods.

Ryan’s playing career launched with the Brisbane Broncos from 1989 through 1999\. He was a part of four grand finals winning teams in Brisbane, and played a key role on the ’93 and ’97 squads. He also played State of Origin in 1997 and 1998\. Ryan then brought his talents to the Brumbies, playing in two grand finals in 2001 and 2002, and was a vital component of the ‘01 premiers against the Sharks. While he most often took the field as a #8, his natural and preferred position, he occasionally found himself lined up as a blindside flanker throughout his career.

Following his playing days, Ryan returned to Brisbane as an Assistant Coach with the Broncos for five seasons. He then moved on to the North Queensland Cowboys for three years as an Assistant, and later created his own mining supplies company in Queensland before coming to Canberra.

Rhino might have found himself in a much different position had it not been for the persistence of his older sister. She worked at a Travelodge in Brisbane, and frequently endorsed her brother’s on field abilities to State of Origin coach Wayne Bennett. This resulted in the signing of Ryan’s first contract with the Broncos in 1989, and Ryan’s career trajectory hasn’t slowed since.

We dont need a "yes" man we need someone with the authority to tell the players how to tackle and hold defensive positions as others have said Ryan or Folkes would be good.What worries me is we could get another scapegoat for JT to sacrifice.

Give someone young a chance, someone with fresh eyes and a young mind who isn't afraid to try new and innovative things, bring new ideas to this archaic stagnant club.

Yes, it certainly appears Andrew Webster has already been signed to replace Kidwell, so not much point throwing other names around.

Back