Woods Misses out - Tim grant picked.

I have no problem with Tim Grant's selection- he's a player that I have good wraps on. That Woods misses out to him is not a bad thing. Grant & Tamou give NSW some pretty impressive, mobile front rowers- and I always believe that Origin games are won by field position- so these 2 guys make a lot of sense.

I'm not as impressed by the backrow which is, by now, proven to be no match for the bigger, faster Qld backrow. Glenn Stewart, Greg Bird & Anthony Watmough have never dominated their opposition forwards, and are not getting any younger either. By continually selecting them, we instantly accept that the Qld forwards will have a greater chance at a roll-on. Add to the mix Creagh, Lewis & Merrin as a Prop/2nd Row hybrid, and I'm still unimpressed. Lewis is hard to fault as an individual player, but when surrounded by 5 other guys that play a somewhat similar role, I'm not sure the NSW forwards are 'all they can be'.

Obviously Gallen picks himself. I'd stick with Lewis as the clean-up guy. I'd throw in Chris Houston from Newcastle who has size & can offload. Mateo is the ballplayer the NSW team could use on the fringes after Grant, Tamou & Gallen do the hard work in the middle. Merrin off the bench gives you the Prop/2nd Row hybrid that can assist as players get tired.

Out wide the Blues have no real answers to Hodges & Inglis either- both guys are like extra forwards & attract multiple defenders. The Morris boys are explosive runners, as is Jennings. But physically they can't match up. Obviously we'll all suggest Lawrence as an option at Center- and fair enough too. But Pomeroy from the Sharks should be considered as a 'blunter' to the Qld outside attack. He also has a handy offload on him to help spring a free winger down the side. The Morris boys, Jennings & Uate should be the guys most likely to fight for the wing spots. Dylan Farrell from Souths is an interesting option, however- and I wouldn't be against seeing him in the mix.

Fullback always seems to be a Brett Stewart vs Jarrod Hayne battle. Neither inspires me, but I'd suggest Hayne is the superior player, particularly at Origin level.

It just seems to me that the Blues are in a selection rut & always seem to fall back to the same guys every year. And every year, we watch them outmuscled, outskilled & outplayed by the Qld side. Change is not always a bad thing.

Like most, its sad for both kg and woods, but secretly happy they play this friday.
It might have come down to mongrol not talent and nothing else.
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Deep down winning a premiership together means more to these guys then a SOO jersey…
They will no missing out gives them a better chance to get one step closer...
They are there (rep level)... they just dont have the jumper to prove it....

I think Galloway misses out because…
He is kinda slow,
Sorry guys, GREAT player - love him as a player.
Good defender & all that, Great @ club level
But he doesn't suit the fast paced origin style games.

@Demps said:
He is kinda slow,

This. Don't know why some people are saying Galloway has matches or exceeded Woods recently. Woods is faster, always looks for the offload and his PTB is a lot faster. I still love him though, wouldn't trade anyone in our front row
\
\

Experience counts for a lot in Origin, Keith has been on the big stage for a while and has Test/Origin experience under his belt.

Over the last few months Galloway has been behind Woods by a very small margin, either one would do the job. But if I put my Blues hat on, I'd be backing Galloway over Woods for G2.

if being fast is so important why dont the fast players run more metres then galloway… woods pips him each wk but he also has extra hit ups...
no one drives into the line like galloway... when he runs he may look slow but he is picking his target to drive through...

Galloway is being overshadowed by Woods, but his stats are just as exceptional. If he was at any other club he'd be in

@Demps said:
He is kinda slow,

Unfortunately I agree with you.
I know he only played a few minutes during the last origin series, but he did look a little bit off the pace, just a little.
I think if he was given a few more minutes, it would have done wonders for Keefy, but at origin level you have to be on the pace immediately.

@alex said:
Galloway is being overshadowed by Woods, but his stats are just as exceptional. If he was at any other club he'd be in

Got that right. If he played for Manly or St George he'd have played a few games by now!

I think if QLD win game 2, then Ricky may blood Woods for the 3rd game, give him some exposure to SOO and bring him in next year.

I hope that they get their chance and NSW are still in it for Game 3 as well.

Game Three falls on a week where we have the Bye and we wont miss our players.

I would of gone with Galloway as i think another season wont hurt Woods & will probably make him keener if that is possible, i think both are going very well & they look good @ the moment.

@Spartan117 said:
I hope that they get their chance and NSW are still in it for Game 3 as well.

Game Three falls on a week where we have the Bye and we wont miss our players.

Ooooh thats a good point!!

Game three it is then!
\
\

NSW will name an unchanged side for G3 after we demolish QLD in G2.

Yes if NSW manage to win game 2, there certainly won't be any changes made to the team for game 3, barring injuries of course.

@Ice-Tiger said:
@Demps said:
He is kinda slow,

Unfortunately I agree with you.
I know he only played a few minutes during the last origin series, but he did look a little bit off the pace, just a little.
I think if he was given a few more minutes, it would have done wonders for Keefy, but at origin level you have to be on the pace immediately.

I agree, I know he only got 7 minutes, but in that time he looked a tad slow, which is probably why Ricky took him straight off again. I can't see him getting another crack under Sticky, unless we get hammered with injuries.

I'm glad he's not in there… I wish farah wasn't either. I'm all about the tigers and not nsw.
\
\

Latest posts

Back