2023 NRL Finals General Discussion thread *Spoilers*

The appointed officials did not decide the result but they certainly blew out the margin and made sure the better side won.They are supposedly impartial but often don't appear to be,decisions always seem to go the favoured teams way

I was thinking at the start of the semis that they should just skip it and have a best of three between Panthers and Broncos.

Broncos are the most fun side to watch since the 2005 Tigers. I hope not, but I suspect Panthers will turn the GF into a grind.

Their engine room is ridiculous. Flegler, Haas
& Carrigan, they're machines, big and mobile
Yep against Fish, Leota and Yeo who assassinated Parras pack in the 2022 GF.
Great matchups all over the park.

I was thinking at the start of the semis that they should just skip it and have a best of three between Panthers and Broncos.

Broncos are the most fun side to watch since the 2005 Tigers. I hope not, but I suspect Panthers will turn the GF into a grind.
funny,Penrith Broncs n ESTABLISHMENT,winnerwinner top 3?

The appointed officials did not decide the result but they certainly blew out the margin and made sure the better side won.They are supposedly impartial but often don't appear to be,decisions always seem to go the favoured teams way

The refereeing these days, since the bunker has been brought in, appears to have confused things, not "bettered" outcomes by eliminating howlers etc.

In former days, the referee and the touchies were in total control of decisions, in the moment, on the run, and their mix of experience and instinct allowed the players and fans an understanding of what's what. Maybe not always perfect, but tolerable.

Now, with the system of the referees and the bunker, there appears to me, at least, that the referees hold back, yet rely on the bunker (whether by design or by a lack of confidence in their decisions), and there's not a balance in the control on field.

Some things work, some of the time; and some things are consistent, but again not all the time.

Players, coaches and (sure as eggs) we fans are left scratching our heads with what we're being dished up from Round 1 till right now approaching the grand final.

Things have not improved - in fact, by any measure, things are worse.

The weekly farcial attempts by Annesley to explain mistakes are generally weighted to protect the officials. Some errors are not even covered at all.

Officials lack confidence.
The bunker lacks confidence (just look at how many times something is replayed, and replayed).

Are the officials trying to rule to the letter of the law, or to the flow of a game that they are seemingly wanting to manufacture?

Gee wizz, footy is a simple game.
With rules.
And balls.
It's about time someone had the balls to simplify how the rules are applied, fairly and consistently for players and fans alike, and then, by some miracle, we might all get on with enjoying the greatest game of all.

Last edited:

Everyone is expecting them to do that.
It would be an awesome GF if they based their game on full out attack.

The refereeing these days, since the bunker has been brought in, appears to have confused things, not "bettered" outcomes by eliminating howlers etc.

In former days, the referee and the touchies were in total control of decisions, in the moment, on the run, and their mix of experience and instinct allowed the players and fans an understanding of what's what. Maybe not always perfect, but tolerable.

Now, with the system of the referees and the bunker, there appears to me, at least, that the referees hold back, yet rely on the bunker (whether by design or by a lack of confidence in their decisions), and there's not a balance in the control on field.

Some things work, some of the time; and some things are consistent, but again not all the time.

Players, coaches and (sure as eggs) we fans are left scratching our heads with what we're being dished up from Round 1 till right now approaching the grand final.

Things have not improved - in fact, by any measure, things are worse.

The weekly farcial attempts by Annesley to explain mistakes are generally weighted to protect the officials. Some errors are not even covered at all.

Officials lack confidence.
The bunker lacks confidence (just loo at how many times something is replayed, and replayed).

Are the officials trying to rule to the letter of the law, or to the flow of a game that they are seemingly wanting to manufacture?

Gee wizz, footy is a simple game.
With rules.
And balls.
It's about time someone had the balls to simplify how the rules are applied, fairly and consistently for players and fans alike, and then, by some miracle, we might all get on with enjoying the greatest game of all.
consistency across the board wouldnt hurt,life aint fair,yet sport should b simpler 2 adjudicate

Everyone is expecting them to do that.
It would be an awesome GF if they based their game on full out attack.
If the Broncs can get in front by a decent margin then the Panthers will be forced to play footy. A big if, though.

Broncos have long been hated but they are so much fun to watch that I can't hate this team. They even seem like a decent bunch of blokes and they don't showboat their religion like the Panthers crew.

Embarrassing and predictable refereeing.

Hard to watch.
Forward passes are killing the game , Yes Walsh pass didn’t change the out come but it was the worst forward pass this year , min 2 to 3 mtr then the last pass / very next pass in the section of play was also forward , they need grid lines. That moves up and down the field place it on the ball carrier and if it goes forward , pull it up , yes it will mean loads of stoppages but only for a short time as coaches will make sure teams start to pass correctly , backwards , forward pass should mean a turn over of possession , this will fix this blatant cheating that is happening , Dummy half plays are now almost flat or forward every time

I've been saying this for a few years now, Nathan Cleary is the Super Golden Immortal.
He is a new category of immortal, to list him with the other immortal's wouldn't do justice to his superiority.
I disagree.

Nathan Cleary is a good player, yet he can't hold a spoon to Cameron Smith (if not immortal, surely one in waiting) or Andrew Johns yet.

If NSW became dominant under Cleary, different story. It hasn't.

Cleary may become an Immortal. But he isn't "super golden", definately not yet. Not in the same league as Thurston, Cam Smith, Greg Ingles, Andrew Johns, etc.

This has to be the lowest standard comp. ever.
2 decent teams and the rest aren't NRL finals standard. (It'd be 3 if Souths didn't implode.)

I disagree.

Nathan Cleary is a good player, yet he can't hold a spoon to Cameron Smith (if not immortal, surely one in waiting) or Andrew Johns yet.

If NSW became dominant under Cleary, different story. It hasn't.

Cleary may become an Immortal. But he isn't "super golden", definately not yet. Not in the same league as Thurston, Cam Smith, Greg Ingles, Andrew Johns, etc.
I only count club games where Nathan is allowed to be Nathan.
I don't count channel 9 exhibition games playing for a coach who wouldn't know if his arse was on fire. A man who starts Liam Martin and Cam Murray on the bench.
In club footy it's Nathan and Cam Smith, the rest are playing a different low level game.

Latest posts

Members online

Back