LIVE GAME 2023 Trial 1: Wests Tigers v Warriors

Live Game Discussion
It’s always easy to say “only a trial” but soon we’ll be saying “it’s only the first round”. It’s same old tigers. No one wanted the footy out there and no one took ownership of the game.
Most of them are kids and learning...if our top 17 play like that next week,then we can scream and carry on as much as we like..STAY POSITIVE..

what a load of crap mate , yes agree stats are only part of it but they help turkeys like you at least see who was having a go in a young side , look at our halves compared to theirs
Without the respect, are you related? must be. he is a key positional player, and was missing when was needed late in the tackle count. staying behind the halves in the middle of the field letting someone who couldn't pass stifle the attack, repeatedly. that's not in stats mate. that's in the head.

If we won by 50 I would still say that it means nothing.
Trial form is just that and very really translates to anything when the real stuff kicks off.
So not expecting much and will not be making any assessments / criticism until the cobwebs are blown off and we see the first round result.
Goid night all.

Just saw the highlights, we still look slow and dumb out there. For eg Staines who could be our first choice fullback dived on the warrior players leg when he should have backed his speed and chased him down when the ball was dropped. Very poor reads from no.15, junior Tupou I think?

Just a trial though so as long as no major injury concerns. Good to have the footy on!

Wasn't it Manly that we flogged by 30 to 40 points 2 years ago in a trial and they had about 70% of the 1st side playing they went on to be a game shy of the grand final from memory, our side tonight really was ordinary quite hopeless in most facets but realistically would not resemble anything like our team to be come game 1. Still good signs Steph and a few others and bring on next week for a more accurate indication of where we are and need to get to. Chill pills all round

@KingRobbie has already done something similar, but here's my collective thoughts.

Out of the first grade candidates, there's a few that can hold their heads high. Stefano was immense, as was Pole once he moved to the middle. I thought Kepaoa was probably next best and should certainly start over Talau, who made Williame look like Joseph Manu.

Simpkin should lock down the 14 jersey. When we were on the front foot he looked a far improved footballer than last year. Matamua's second stint was excellent. Needs time in Cup but is definitely the long term 13.

Staines for mine lacks a passing game and his short kicking was poor. nice to see him have a crack but unfortunately he's a fullback from 15 years ago. Bula on the other hand looks a prospect.

can't fault Scolari's efforts but the incessant jamming in when his inside man has the centre covered is something he needs to fix quickly. Jordan Hill looks the likelier prospect out of the two. Peni for mine isn't a first grader. would've loved to have seen Feledy with ball in hand but defensively he was good and he's got a bit of shithousery in his game which I love.

Reilly solid, probably a better centre. Wakeham rocks and diamonds and looks far too erratic to be a backup half. we will miss Madden. Camroux I thought looked decent but need to see more.

Fa'agutu is a little further off than I anticipated. promising signs but I'm not sure he makes firsts this year. James was solid, good player to have on a part time contract but didn't see too much more than that. Fainu on the other hand was atrocious defensively and shouldn't be anywhere near firsts. Seyfarth tries hard but it just does not come off. Hopeful Tumeth has a growth spurt in him, because he has the attitude. not ready for firsts at this stage physically tho. Was pleasantly surprised by Tony Sukkar, he's one to keep an eye on.

Rua's got some work to do. was classy in Cup last year but the injury has put him back months in terms of form and development. Vaihu was barely sighted.

Patience is required for the entire club, from first grade down. the passes won't stick for a little while and players are still learning their roles. we'll revisit at end of season to see how the second team fares in the coming months. positive signs for the majority of the first grade candidates.

I won’t judge 100% yet as I know this was a trial and we didn’t play at full strength. But I still think it was pretty bad to almost concede 50 points during the game. Now we did have some good standouts don’t get me wrong, but we still made poor passes and kicks that went nowhere and our defence was bad.

Some players clearly aren’t ready for first grade yet and some will never make it. But still for a trial game we simply didn’t show up for professional footy this is not good enough.

Some of the bad stuff we did was what resulted in Madge’s sacking. Like I said I know it was a trial and all, but if we play like that again next week, having Sheens being appointed as coach is clearly already going to be a mistake if he couldn’t fix the mistakes that cost Madge his job.

@KingRobbie has already done something similar, but here's my collective thoughts.

Out of the first grade candidates, there's a few that can hold their heads high. Stefano was immense, as was Pole once he moved to the middle. I thought Kepaoa was probably next best and should certainly start over Talau, who made Williame look like Joseph Manu.

Simpkin should lock down the 14 jersey. When we were on the front foot he looked a far improved footballer than last year. Matamua's second stint was excellent. Needs time in Cup but is definitely the long term 13.

Staines for mine lacks a passing game and his short kicking was poor. nice to see him have a crack but unfortunately he's a fullback from 15 years ago. Bula on the other hand looks a prospect.

can't fault Scolari's efforts but the incessant jamming in when his inside man has the centre covered is something he needs to fix quickly. Jordan Hill looks the likelier prospect out of the two. Peni for mine isn't a first grader. would've loved to have seen Feledy with ball in hand but defensively he was good and he's got a bit of shithousery in his game which I love.

Reilly solid, probably a better centre. Wakeham rocks and diamonds and looks far too erratic to be a backup half. we will miss Madden. Camroux I thought looked decent but need to see more.

Fa'agutu is a little further off than I anticipated. promising signs but I'm not sure he makes firsts this year. James was solid, good player to have on a part time contract but didn't see too much more than that. Fainu on the other hand was atrocious defensively and shouldn't be anywhere near firsts. Seyfarth tries hard but it just does not come off. Hopeful Tumeth has a growth spurt in him, because he has the attitude. not ready for firsts at this stage physically tho. Was pleasantly surprised by Tony Sukkar, he's one to keep an eye on.

Rua's got some work to do. was classy in Cup last year but the injury has put him back months in terms of form and development. Vaihu was barely sighted.

Patience is required for the entire club, from first grade down. the passes won't stick for a little while and players are still learning their roles. we'll revisit at end of season to see how the second team fares in the coming months. positive signs for the majority of the first grade candidates.
Very good summary.

Good stuff mate.

Back