Alcohol

Alcohol is a drug just like any other.
The sooner they ban it and legalise pot and make it mandatory that everyone smoke it when they get home from work the nicer the world will be.
My old man never came home stoned and beat the shit out of his wife and kid, but I remember when he’d come home and we’d look out the window to see how drunk he was getting out the cab, if he was abusing the cabbie it was run and hide time.
And he wasn’t even the worst. Some of mums other f/wits could brown right cruel. One half way house we lived in this other alcoholic mother used to kick me down a flight of stairs from behind. I didn’t even know what was happening until mum caught her doing it.
Alcohol is just another drug.

I know that this "consensus" relates to your medical relatives; ie, it is not necessarily your opinion, but can I just say that the proposition that any amount of alcohol is detrimental to one's health is complete BS.

There has been decades of studies that have shown that moderate alcohol consumption is beneficial to health, particularly red wine. These are not just epidemiological studies but also clinical trials testing red wine like a pharmaceutical drug which demonstrated that moderate daily intakes are beneficial.

So, if someone suggests to me that any amount of alcohol will damage my health, I will simply say show me the evidence!
Again, I am not a doctor, but I understand the thinking to be that, yes as you say some alcohols like red wine do have certain health benefits.
However those benefits do not directly negate the potential increase to risk of disease that alcohol presents.
It's all about risk appetite, just because drinking will increase you risk of cancer, heart disease, brain disease etc.. does not mean that you will definitely experience it. Just the same as pure abstinence from everything does not guarantee perfect health for 100 years, it's all luck of the draw.
My opinion is if you enjoy having a wine or two at night and you believe it's good for you, then have at it.

Reactions: BZN
My old man was a country doctor in a one horse town, smoked 60 cigs a day and drank probably at least six schooners a day. When he was not at the RSL he was working and worked probably 15 hours a day seven days a week. Gave up the smokes on his 65 birthday but kept the grog going to he pulled stumps at 87. Funny thing he never ever looked drunk even after a big session

Bother you live once and time is your most valuable asset my sister and her husband worked 35 years paying off a mortgage in french mortgage translates to death contract I believe

You live once do it properly i put 10K on Solana at $15 soon I will sell and be off on another adventure
In English it means it allows me to make a shit load of money on property I can sell off and retire early.

The sooner they ban it and legalise pot
and make it mandatory that everyone smoke it when they get home from work the nicer the world will be.
My old man never came home stoned and beat the shit out of his wife and kid, but I remember when he’d come home and we’d look out the window to see how drunk he was getting out the cab, if he was abusing the cabbie it was run and hide time.
And he wasn’t even the worst. Some of mums other f/wits could brown right cruel. One half way house we lived in this other alcoholic mother used to kick me down a flight of stairs from behind. I didn’t even know what was happening until mum caught her doing it.
The sooner they ban it and legalise pot

That almost makes sense. :unsure:

Seriously though mate, coming from someone that's never tried pot in their life, I have no idea why they don't just tax weed and have it sold just like tobacco, at the end of the day that's all the government really cares about, taxing the people. Piss and smokes are only around as the government is making a killing off them. If they actually cared about the governed ones health like all these campaigns pretend they do, they would simply ban alcohol and tobacco. They have laws for bike helmets and seatbelts for 'citizens safety' If they cared about health issues, smokes and alcohol would have been banned decades ago, but so would sugar. So I have no idea how there can be any argument around today about weed not being legal. Cue the Tipper Gore, pearl clutching gateway drug pundits.

The sooner they ban it and legalise pot and make it mandatory that everyone smoke it when they get home from work the nicer the world will be.
That's a horrible account, mate. There's many with similar stories no doubt.

In my opinion, that's a reflection of a weak individual.

Weed, alcohol, whatever; people with self control don't engage in these behaviours. I don't think it is a reflection of the compound.

The sooner people start blaming the person and not the vehicle, the better.

I enjoy both, in moderation. But there was a time, like most, when I was younger, when I didn't have the self-control to know my limits and have gotten into blues at the local, barneys with mates, etc.

I think that with age comes a bit of maturity. You would hope anyway.

Young people should be educated far heavier and be monitored much more closely in their consumption and older people should simply 'know better'. If they don't, they should be judged very, very harshly.

There's nothing funny or appealing about a middle-aged man who is blind drunk and hopefully one day societal pushback will send the same message.

That's a horrible account, mate. There's many with similar stories no doubt.

In my opinion, that's a reflection of a weak individual.

Weed, alcohol, whatever; people with self control don't engage in these behaviours. I don't think it is a reflection of the compound.

The sooner people start blaming the person and not the vehicle, the better.

I enjoy both, in moderation. But there was a time, like most, when I was younger, when I didn't have the self-control to know my limits and have gotten into blues at the local, barneys with mates, etc.

I think that with age comes a bit of maturity. You would hope anyway.

Young people should be educated far heavier and be monitored much more closely in their consumption and older people should simply 'know better'. If they don't, they should be judged very, very harshly.

There's nothing funny or appealing about a middle-aged man who is blind drunk and hopefully one day societal pushback will send the same message.
Thanks mate ill be stealing that line.

Hi Odessa

Yes 14 schooies is a lot, especially in 4 hours. The authorities recommend 10 units or less per week and you had ~22 units in one shift.

A one-off won't do much long-term damage (unless you injure yourself) but a novice cannot drink 14 schooies without collapsing, which is to say you must have had plenty of practice to drink that much that quickly.

I like a drink myself but about 6 schooners over that 4-hour timeframe would easily do me. I would expect ~10 standards in a session would be plenty for most average drinkers my age (44).

My saving grace personally, since I was a young bloke, is I can't drink beyond my means - if I have too much I get ill pretty much straight away, there's very little delay, so I'm incapable of drinking myself into oblivion.

Also for a bit of maths - 14 schooners (assuming 4.5% ABV beer) in 4 hours puts your blood alcohol (BAC) around 0.33%, so almost 7 times the legal limit for driving. 0.40% BAC is considered very and immediately dangerous. It would take you approx 24 hours to break down the alcohol and return to 0% ABV.

At that level it's also obviously not good for your body and has serious long-term implications.

Just a general question I had 14 schooners at the local tonight in a 4 hour time frame someone told me that's alot my reply was I was just getting started I only stoped because I was going out for a late dinner what's the normal amount for people ?

P.S And I only had schooners because they don't sell pints
That's a ridiculously huge amount. Even if you were 18 and enjoying getting on the piss for the first time, or at a wedding, that's still a massive amount of alcohol as Tiger SJ pointed out.

If you consume that much regularly you'd want to get some time in an addiction centre and try wean your way off it for your health's sake.

It's one beer per year for me.
I'm not a born again drinker or morally opposed to people drinking. People can please themselves.
I've just never liked the taste of alcohol so I don't drink it.
Each to their own by all means.
But to me i don't get 'never liked the taste' argument. There are millions of different flavours and combinations when it comes to drinking alcohol. You've tried them all?? Fair enough one may not like the taste of beer, or wine, or whisky. One may acquire an appreciation over time as one's taste buds develop. But amongst all the different mixers to be had with so many different types of spirits that unless you only ever drink filtered water and eat plain broth then there must be flavours you enjoy

Just a general question I had 14 schooners at the local tonight in a 4 hour time frame someone told me that's alot my reply was I was just getting started I only stoped because I was going out for a late dinner what's the normal amount for people ?

P.S And I only had schooners because they don't sell pints

man that’s like 6L in 4 hours right? That’s a lot of any liquid to get down over 4 hours. Nice.

He said he used to knock over 40 odd litres every 7 days…
I can’t stand the smell of beer and he’s gurgling close to a keg each week!

• Sad
I’m really fixated on 3L a day but it’s a struggle when you’re not being active and just working. Doing 6L in 4 hours is impressive. With some dedication and perseverance, I’ll get there.
Are you suggesting that you are going to try to drink 6L of water in 4 hours?

If so, that could be dangerous. Depending on the person, our kidneys can excrete between 0.8L - 1L of water per hour.

If we exceed that limit over time then it can result in water intoxication, significant dilution of our electrolytes, particularly sodium, and severe side effects and ultimately, death.

Prof Tim Noakes wrote a book on the subject called: Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports.

On the other hand, if your not planning to attempt 6L of water in 4 hours, then please disregard the above.

Back