Another Phil Rothfield Gem

diedpretty

Tigers owe it all to Origin snub Phil Rothfield From: The Daily Telegraph June 22, 2010 12:00AM

"INSTEAD of complaining about NSW selectors snubbing his Tigers players in State of Origin football this year, Australia's Test coach Tim Sheens should be thanking them.
Thanking them for allowing his team to claw its way back into finals contention while others have been decimated by State of Origin commitments.

The Tigers are running third on the competition table because they've been at full strength with fresh players for the last month of the competition while other clubs like the Dragons (7), Storm (5), and Cowboys (4) have been gutted with so many senior players on Origin duty in Brisbane last week.

Sheens should also remember the NSW team was picked on May 17 - just 24 hours after the Tigers were slaughtered 50-10 by the Rabbitohs at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Fringe players like Robbie Farah, Chris Heighington, Keith Galloway, Chris Lawrence and possibly Lote Tuqiri were never going to be chosen after that shocker of a performance.
\
\
Since then, the Tigers have had a soft draw and played themselves back into form and finals contention with games against the Knights, Warriors, Bulldogs and Raiders - clubs all well below them on the table.

The next month will provide the real test of their premiership aspirations with matches against the Dragons (away) on Friday night, followed up by the Broncos (away), Titans (home) and Manly (away).

They've also got the Storm, Panthers and Rabbitohs in the last five rounds before the semis.

The Tigers' golden run over the last month with all senior players on deck again raises questions about the fairness and evenness of the NRL competition.

Even strugglers Canberra (3) and the Sharks (2) have had to play without their big guns or have them back up after Origin games while the Tigers, running third, have trained together every week, enjoyed a bye, stayed fresh and won four on the trot.

The NRL is always carrying on about its stringent salary cap rules that keep the premiership on a level playing field.

Then the very same organisation allows some clubs like the Tigers a soft six-week period in the middle of the competition while others are getting hammered and losing millions of dollars of their salary cap talent to NSW and Queensland.

Surely the game has become professional enough in 2010 to realise Origin has become a big enough event to stand alone on three weekends.

To hell with complaints from the television networks about losing the programming for three weeks because they'll still get as many games to telecast over the full season.

Having Origin played over six weeks also takes too much away from the premiership, which basically becomes the second-tier competition while all the focus and media attention is on interstate rivalries.

Teams like the Tigers shouldn't be getting a rails run while the Raiders could miss the finals by one win or the Dragons miss the minor premiership by one win because of all their State of Origin duties.

It's simply not fair.

He's right. I've said for years that Origin should be a stand alone three week live-in comp where the boys play on Friday nights and then return straight back into camp to prepare for next fridays game.

Durin this period we could have scheduled test matches between Nz and the islanders - Tonga, Samoa, PNG. The rest of the comp gets three weeks off or maybe they could play a tri series of city v country to keep them in the picture to step-in and replace injured players in origin

What ever the result, this setup at the moment is not only unfair but it's also producing some terrible games of football.

@stryker said:
He's right. I've said for years that Origin should be a stand alone three week live-in comp where the boys play on Friday nights and then return straight back into camp to prepare for next fridays game.

Durin this period we could have scheduled test matches between Nz and the islanders - Tonga, Samoa, PNG. The rest of the comp gets three weeks off or maybe they could play a tri series of city v country to keep them in the picture to step-in and replace injured players in origin

What ever the result, this setup at the moment is not only unfair but it's also producing some terrible games of football.

Agreed - but to say the NRL is treating us less harshly than all other sides and thats the only reason we sit in 3rd is a bit of a stretch - even for Rothfield.

He's wrong.

We actually enjoyed 2 byes.

Somebody mail him a box of tissues.

Can't wait to see the comments to that 1, providing of course they aren't all vetted out.

@stryker said:

Can't disagree with that last sentence.

That game last night (Parra v Knights) was the worst game I can recall seeing in 40 years of following Rugby League.

Ha …Parra and the Knights were at full strength.....No Origin players missing.....

Rothfield is not a journalist.....He's a ........

@diedpretty said:
The Tigers are running third on the competition table because they've been at full strength with fresh players for the last month of the competition while other clubs like the Dragons (7), Storm (5), and Cowboys (4) have been gutted with so many senior players on Origin duty in Brisbane last week.

What an idiot.

Melbourne could have no players in Origin, they are still not making the finals. Same goes for the Cowboys.

@diedpretty said:
Even strugglers Canberra (3) and the Sharks (2) have had to play without their big guns or have them back up after Origin games while the Tigers, running third, have trained together every week, enjoyed a bye, stayed fresh and won four on the trot.

Sharks are not struggling to make the finals, they are struggling not to get the spoon.

This guy needs to wake up.

Just because they aren't missing doesn't mean that the sides preparation and the players own personal form aren't affected.
The fact remains that origin really disrupts the competition.

Make no mistake this is not an article about Origin and its fairness or merit.

This is an article to have a dig at Tim Sheens and it is no coincidence that he is having another swipe at the Dragons in another article. His two pet hates playing each other

Totally agreed Smeg! This was my response to his article that I sent to him. Doubt that they'll publish it…..

So the Tigers-Tele war thickens. Drummed up articles like this against the Tigers is why Tele journo's aren't welcome in Tigers dressing rooms after their games. Keep inflating players who perform ineptly for NSW State of Origin, that's all the Tele is good for.

For me ORIGIN is insignifigant compared to a Premiership.

The article is hit and miss.

PS What else is Coach sheens going to say publically….

@Chris said:
Totally agreed Smeg! This was my response to his article that I sent to him. Doubt that they'll publish it…..

So the Tigers-Tele war thickens. Drummed up articles like this against the Tigers is why Tele journo's aren't welcome in Tigers dressing rooms after their games. Keep inflating players who perform ineptly for NSW State of Origin, that's all the Tele is good for.

lol. You hit the nail on the head Chris. I really hope they publish that, but I don't like your chances.

@Chris said:

Quote response:

"YOU'RE A GIBBERERERERERERER. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY BLOG."

I know it doesn't take much intelligence to resort to name calling, but the guy is a pork chop.

@stryker said:
The fact remains that origin really disrupts the competition.

I agree, Origin should be played in the off-season. That article was just him having a go at the Tigers though.

Rothfield is just confirming what a joke Origin is … that the few teams coming last (forget Melbourne) had several more players in Origin than the 3rd placed Tigers ...

Cowboys - Thurston, Scott, O'Donnell
Bulldogs - Hannant, Kimmorley, Idris, Ennis
Sharks - Gallen, Barret
Raiders - Monaghan, Shillington, TLL
Knights - Gidley

Watching Ennis's boring performance in game 1 and 2 compared to Farah's strong creative game against the Raiders ... I just can't understand how the hell Ennis was picked?!?!?! Kimmorley makes him look good.

Can't with Kimmorley beside him, can't win without Kimmorley beside him… I think we know what the common denominator is there don't we?

Members online

Back