Ava - Sharks -[Official]...

Milky

![]()

Matt Logue‏ @mattlogue7 15m15 minutes ago
More
As reported first by @BuzzRothfield, I'm hearing @Cronulla_Sharks are closing in on the signature of @WestsTigers forward Ava Seumanufagai.
\
\
Possibly clearing space for Packer.

@ said:
More
As reported first by @BuzzRothfield, I'm hearing @Cronulla_Sharks are closing in on the signature of @WestsTigers forward Ava Seumanufagai.
\
\

Ah, the Tiger Sharks retirement home

I would actually miss him more than i would miss woods. Starting to come good.

Be a shame to lose him, but we will be a strong side with or without him in '18.

@ said:
Be a shame to lose him, but we will be a strong side with or without him in '18.

Yep agree but I suppose this is the definition of "putting a broom" through the joint.

I like the guy. But really, I want these blokes to own the middle and he has never done that.

Ivan obviously knows what he wants from his front rowers so if not re-signed I guess that Ava does not fit into that category or the Sharks offered him considerably more than the Tigers.

I think its not that we don't want him but the Sharks want him more and he wants out. Also I think he is in Isaac Moses's stable and he seems hell bent on getting his troops out of Concord

He's a good guy Ava, does the right things consistently, don't think he will hit major heights but I always thought of him as a great compliment to higher impact/output props. I'm surprised in some ways, I always thought Ava would keep that role with us.

Maybe he has higher ambitions for himself? Sharkies tend to play big backrowers as props. Fifita and Latimore are the only fair-dinkum props they have right now.

As TopTiger notes, maybe Ava isn't of the mold Cleary wants, or his offer from us is not matching Sharks. One thing I like, if Sharks are paying more than us, a confidence now for Tigers to let players go and look for replacements better suited to our available budget / need. The value game, as SG has been repeatedly drumming.

ALSO really keen to know what Cleary thinks about the next line guys like Felise, Tatola, Mikaele. Felise is contracted until end 2018, Tatola end of this year. Maybe some of them are in line for being promoted.

Tim Grant, how does he fit into all of this? Word was he was exploring his options and Cleary was the one who dumped him from Penrith.

He's a worker. You need a balance of workers and impact players in your pack. Woods, Grant, Felise and Ava are all workers. Ava is a solid no frills prop. Every side needs a player like that on like 200k. If he wants more than that you can replace him.

On the off chance we keep Woods, he'll be back to the bench anyway. If we can land Packer his loss his canceled out.

If Ava and Woods leave we are going to need at least two more competent props.

@ said:
On the off chance we keep Woods, he'll be back to the bench anyway. If we can land Packer his loss his canceled out.

I've got this mental image of Woods ultimately deciding he wants to stay at Tigers, one of his mates Grubby signing on, Dogs promising Graham they won't release him, and suddenly Tigers find themselves with a 2018 prop rotation of Woods-Matulino-Packer-Felise.

I do wonder, doing a lot of wondering lately, if Bulldogs are watching the backlash against the Reynolds move and rethinking their recruitment v retention strategy. If bringing in Woods forces Graham out, or if the other rumour is true, that Dogs really wanted Tedesco and were prepared to bring Woods to make it happen… maybe Dogs say "look, the deal is still there, but if you want to re-explore your options w the Tigers we understand".

Problem for Dogs is they already have a bucket of money tied up in their forwards; Tigers do not.

@ said:
More
\
\

I would prefer to have Ava in our team than Packer. Ava has more upside as well.
The only thing the "squat and cough" bloke has over Ava is aggression. Otherwise Ava is the better player IMO.

@ said:
@ said:
More
\
\

I would prefer to have Ava in our team than Packer. Ava has more upside as well.
The only thing the "squat and cough" bloke has over Ava is aggression. Otherwise Ava is the better player IMO.

Maybe that's exactly your point.

When was the last time you saw a Wests Tiger charge full-tilt into the opposition line like a Ruben Wiki hitup? Ambling up can get the job done half the time, doesn't worry the opposition at the try line and doesn't put fear into them.

Even blokes like Darius Boyd take more aggressive hitups than most of our blokes.

@ said:

GNR if ever there was a perfect time for Woods & Tedesco to re-sign it would be right now.

They would say how pleased they are with Cleary over the last few weeks and what an exciting roster the club is putting together moving forward. They would put their contract dilly dallying down to what they've always said … how strong is the team going to be?

I've accepted that they are leaving.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
More
\
\

Maybe that's exactly your point.

When was the last time you saw a Wests Tiger charge full-tilt into the opposition line like a Ruben Wiki hitup? Ambling up can get the job done half the time, doesn't worry the opposition at the try line and doesn't put fear into them.

Even blokes like Darius Boyd take more aggressive hitups than most of our blokes.

Not sure that players actually fear opposition players running at them at pace TBH. They are more likely to be worried about a bloke with a step at the line or deft offload.
Not sold on Packer, but if Ava has the desire to leave then so be it. One positive with Packer at our club we would save on watering the training paddock if soiling himself on-field is still part of his routine.

Latest posts

Members online

Back