Balmain Leagues Club

This is from the wests magpies facebook page.

Some Magpies Supporters may be speculating over the decision by WAL Board and its Members for Wests Ashfield Leagues Club to takeover Balmain Leagues Club Assets and what it may mean moving forward.

- NO change to the name of Wests Ashfield Club or club branding.
-Main change is that Wests Ashfield take in the PROFITABLE Tigers Flemington Markets Club business under its wing.
- Wests Ashfield take ownership of all Poker Machine Licenses from BLC including unused ones from Five Dock & Rozelle.
- No change to Wests Ashfield Board, Directors, Debenture Holders or Memberships
- No change to Wests Tigers name, colours or NRL participation or home venues.
- Wests Ashfield become 90% owners of Wests Tigers
- Wests Tigers Board 9 seats will be:
5 Wests, 3 Independents, 1 Balmain
- Wests Ashfield are NOT responsible for Rozelle property debts. These debts will be wiped as part of this Takeover of BLC.
- any new Rozelle club will only go ahead if approved by State Government dept of Planning (state gov have the final call on use of the land ) If Not, pokie licenses can be taken elsewhere at the call of Wests Ashfield.
- Balmain Football Club still exists (with their own FC board) and will mainly oversee running of Balmain Junior Reps (SG Ball & Harold Matthews)
- Balmain Football Club wont be participating in Senior Rugby League
- Balmain Junior League competition will continue to operate as is today. Still administrated by NSWRL.
- Wests Ashfield will financially support Balmain Junior reps (SGB & HM) + Balmain Junior League (local kids footy) UP TO $350k (on approval of submitted Budget to WAL )
- Wests Ashfield will continue to support Wests Magpies who will continue in Junior Reps (SG Ball & Harold Matthews)
- Wests Magpies WILL continue as is today in the Canterbury Cup NSW
- Wests Ashfield takeover of BLC has NO involvement from Wests Campbelltown Leagues or Ryde Eastwood Leagues
- No change to Wests Tigers Macarthur Junior League (which is mainly funded via Wests Campbelltown) and also administered by NSWRL
- No change to Wests Magpies FC Board structure (still 4 x Wests Ashfield appointed directors and 3 x directors elected from FC membership)
- The Wests Ashfield Business gets to expand geographically into a new market which brings in more revenue to help deliver a secure business future in a challenging licensed club industry.
- That allows Wests Ashfield to continue its charter in Rugby League propagation 🏉

As an out-of-towner, I hope this helps further unite our club. We get no help from anywhere else, seemingly in siege on all other fronts, glad we can strengthen our alliance and identity to fight off the advancing hordes with their chequebooks...

@diedpretty said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1059034) said:
@BalmainJnr said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1059009) said:
@fibrodreaming yeah “the black and gold never fold” and from the team song “here come the tigers wearing black and gold, stout hearted men all fit and bold...”

They had to say gold as nothing rhymes with orange. Well maybe sporange.

"here come the tigers wearing black and orange, stout hearted men except for their sporange. "

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bahaha... Some serious delusion here

@TigerTiger said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1064795) said:
As an out-of-towner, I hope this helps further unite our club. We get no help from anywhere else, seemingly in siege on all other fronts, glad we can strengthen our alliance and identity to fight off the advancing hordes with their chequebooks...

This looks like a WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN for everbody.

@Elderslie_Tiger Is today the day things have turned for the positive, Having a club named the Weststigers and generating income , protecting the playing nursery in the inner city , finally consolidating this could be something really big if handled properly .... on this undertaking well done by the club .
The club moved from Flemington to Olympic Park and play out of the new revamped stadium there 👍that would take BankWest out of the equation interesting .. that precinct needs s club to cater for all that is Olympic Park ! am I dreaming . Ok Barry now to bring home the bacon those political connections ..

Overwhelming support from the members of the Wests and Balmain leagues clubs has ratified their proposed amalgamation, with the Tigers now having only 10 per cent equity in the Wests Tigers NRL joint venture and their licensed premises controlled by the Magpies wealthy Ashfield operation.

Balmain members voted 90-5 on Wednesday night to endorse the amalgamation of the licensed properties of the two foundation football clubs, with a sole dissenter amongst the 220 Magpie members who voted the following night.

Once Balmain members agreed to merge the operations, effectively handing Ashfield control, it was fait accompli that Wests members would support it with a required 75 per cent of the vote.

Long-term Magpies stalwart and Wests Tigers board member Rick Wayde, who moved the motions for the amalgamation, said: ‘‘We’re very heartened by the overwhelming acceptance of the merger of both leagues clubs. It reinforces the progress we are making to create a very viable Wests Tigers."

Under the agreement, Balmain will hand operations of their successful Flemington Markets club to Ashfield while Wests will fund the Tigers junior league expenses of $350,000 a year for five years.

Wests will also pay Balmain’s debt of $3.2 million to the NRL, which is due next year. Members of Balmain will become members of Wests, finally uniting all stakeholders.

Balmain chairman Leslie Glen stressed to members of the Tigers' 1969 premiership team at a recent 50-year reunion that while the licensed clubs had amalgamated, the 111-year old football club still existed, albeit as a source of junior players for the NRL.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/magpies-increase-control-of-wests-tigers-with-leagues-club-merger-20190920-p52teq.html

my question would be that if/when balmain leagues gets up and running again is there an option for the club to buy its stake back?

@OzLuke said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065083) said:
my question would be that if/when balmain leagues gets up and running again is there an option for the club to buy its stake back?

There is no Balmain Leagues Club after this vote!

@cochise said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065084) said:

so the rozelle site? it would just be a club with no attached affiliation to any football?

@OzLuke said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065087) said:

so the rozelle site? it would just be a club with no attached affiliation to any football?

No it would be Branded Wests Tigers and run by Wests Ashfield!

@cochise said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065088) said:

perfect. then we keep our games at LO and all will be well when there's somewhere to go after the game

I'm assuming the Flemington club will be branded Wests Tigers as well... Or have I got that wrong?

@OzLuke said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065089) said:

perfect. then we keep our games at LO and all will be well when there's somewhere to go after the game

It all depends what the State Government decide to do with the site, I do not think it looks good for a club on the site!

@WT2K said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065090) said:

I'm assuming the Flemington club will be branded Wests Tigers as well... Or have I got that wrong?

I am not sure about that, it is now owned and controlled by Wests Ashfield but I have seen nothing in relation to its branding! I think it will probably just keep the Tigers Branding it currently has.

@Snake Nooooooooo......no political connections, local or State.
It was politicians that urged Balmain Leagues to take out loans to buy up properties around the club.
Other politicians kept the development in limbo for years.
More politicians decided a metro station would be built, so the club had to move out, then they changed their mind.

@cochise There is no Balmain branded clubs it finished this week . Flemington will
Be rebranded The Weststigers club , the only Balmain part remaining is there junior league affiliations.

@Snake said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065101) said:
@cochise There is no Balmain branded clubs it finished this week . Flemington will
Be rebranded The Weststigers club , the only Balmain part remaining is there junior league affiliations.

who cares what is is names as long as there's something on the rozelle site, and it all goes towards helping our club and our juniors......

Yeah I'm aware of that just didn't know exactly what was happening with the branding of Flemington

@OzLuke said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065105) said:

who cares what is is names as long as there's something on the rozelle site, and it all goes towards helping our club and our juniors......

I still think it is unlikely there will be a club on the Rozelle site!

Back