Benji's Running Game Has Hit The Skids.

Muffstar

Statistics show Benji Marshall's once great running game has hit the skids in 2013
by: Paul Crawley From: The Daily Telegraph August 09, 2013 12:00AM Increase Text Size
\
\
Benji Marshall's plummeting stats. Source: DailyTelegraph

BENJI Marshall's once famous running game has officially hit the skids.

In the countdown to tonight's wooden spoon shootout against Parramatta, the rugby league world remains divided over Mick Potter's decision not to dump the out-of-form Wests Tigers playmaker to make way for the future. Incredibly, the Tigers will go into tonight's game as $2.40 outsiders. The Eels, who have lost their past 10 games, are the $1.60 favourites.

The Daily Telegraph ran an online poll this week in which 70 per cent of fans voted Benji should have been dropped.

And when you look at data supplied by Fox Sports Stats, it's hard to argue with the fans.

The stats highlight a dramatic drop-off over the past five years in most areas of Benji's game. But perhaps the most worrying statistic relates to his average runs a game since round 15 this year.

Once regarded as the best running playmaker in the game, Benji now ranks among the worst. He is just ahead of Penrith's Luke Walsh, who has never been known to terrorise sides with his breathtaking bursts.

In fact, in the six games since round 15, Benji has only averaged 2.3 runs for 18m.

Last week against the Gold Coast Titans he had two runs for 11m.

To put this in perspective, the only other key playmakers with less average runs are Terry Campese (1.7), Walsh (1.8) and Ben Hunt (2.3).
\
\
Benji Marshall isn't running the ball in 2013\. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Then you line those stats up against these.

John Sutton was averaging 8.5 runs a game for 78m before his injury and the Gold Coast's Albert Kelly has 10.4 runs a game for 85m.

Manly's Kieran Foran averages 4.6 runs for 49m and Daly Cherry-Evans five runs for 49m.

In 2009, Benji was averaging 7.4 runs a game for 77m.
\
\
Benji Marshall gets a hug from Liam Fulton as they walk out for a Wests Tigers training session at Concord Oval. Picture: Gregg Porteous

But as the accompanying graph shows, his game has dropped off dramatically in the years since in just about every crucial area.

Last year he finished the season with 37 linebreak assists and as many try assists.

This year he has made a total of eight linebreak assists and only seven try assists.

Tigers stalwart Liam Fulton backed Benji to finish the year in the top grade, claiming he "deserves his fairytale finish".
\
\
Wests Tigers playmaker Benji Marshall could be dropped in favour of youngster Luke Brooks.

But it won't be a fairytale if the Tigers continue to play like they have for the past month.

They go into tonight's game on the back of four straight losses and the TAB's Glenn Munsie said most of the money was coming for Parra.

"We are getting a little bit of money for the Wests Tigers but how would you like to be going into a game against a side that has lost 10 in a row and they are $1.85 to $1.60," Munsie said.

"And Parramatta have firmed every hour."

League great Gorden Tallis said on Triple M this week: "His focus is not on rugby league. I think it is showing.

"I have heard the stat get thrown out a couple of times, two runs for 11m (against Gold Coast last week).

"Benji Marshall at his best, of course he is in the top 17.

"But they made a tough decision a couple of weeks ago that they were going to back their youth, so you'd probably give him one or two more weeks and if there are performances like that, well, that's when you are going to have to say, 'listen guys, we're going to have to look to the future'.

"I think it is a right to wear an NRL jersey and all those great players who have played for Wests in the old era and the Balmain Tigers, you know, that jersey deserves somebody to go out there and put their body on the line and have a fair dinkum crack."

Peter Sterling said: "I am really torn.

"I understand the call from some people who say his form doesn't warrant him being there and that he is distracted and taking trips when he should be preparing with his teammates.

"But for 10 years he has put his body on the line for the Wests Tigers and with five or six games to go, gee, I'd hate to think he wouldn't finish in the top grade.

"I've got a feeling he will come out against a Parramatta side struggling and I think Benji might just carve them up."

He lost his running game last year when Sheens finally turned him into a non-running halfback. Old news.

"I've got a feeling he will come out against a Parramatta side struggling and I think Benji might just carve them up."

I have read this all year, just change the team. It is not going to happen.

Back