Charlie Staines #262

Watching him, gives me some concerns for Turuva. Not hard to look like a million bucks on the end of their backline, and it’s not hard to look like puss on the end of ours.
Luai bothers me a bit as well tbh..outside the Panthers system and culture
But both are goers and will add not just talent,but resolve and commitment
we need guys like this....Api needs help

It looked like he was too scared to get hurt to me.
I agree, thought I was finally going to see what we've heard about him, his blistering speed.
He was off and running with nobody in front of him, ? But he saw a player on his inside left coming his way, so he takes evasive measures, puts the brakes on instead of just running making himself an easy target, and of course he gets gently tackled,
And his attempted tackle when Dolphins scored first try was atrocious. Drop him, and give anyone else a shot at it.

A below average first grader IMO. Good teams can carry one person of his output in their backline, problem is we have 3 (Naden, Alaimalo & him with Olam the only one who is average/above average).

Tries hard, know what you're going to get from him.

Like so many players in our team, it's not him that's the problem but what he is surrounded by. Put him back in the Panthers and they still probably win the comp.

Naden though is legitimately the problem - too dumb, not enough upside to overcome the stupid plays pretty much every game. Would rather Faatape - at least has a crack and doesn't come up with the moronic moments every second game.

Staines is okay, our backline is terrible. I'd love us to have some quality wingers but I still think he's our best. At least he seems to play with effort. I think if he's a marquee signing we could be lamenting him but he's an average player on a basic salary playing pretty average on a team that exposes all his weaknesses.

Staines is okay, our backline is terrible. I'd love us to have some quality wingers but I still think he's our best. At least he seems to play with effort. I think if he's a marquee signing we could be lamenting him but he's an average player on a basic salary playing pretty average on a team that exposes all his weaknesses.
Effort? Must be watching different games. Its almost like hes scared of tackling/ getting hit. Makes no metres in attack, defence is ordinary. The sooner he gies the better

I have a lot of respect for Warren Smith. Personally find him to be the best lead commentator in the game, and has been for 20 years. However……….His call of Staines at the end when Staines got some space, and I quote “Here’s Charlie Staines. Watch him go” was one of the most tone deaf calls I have ever heard. As if he’s AKP. There would not be a slower winger in the comp. Combine that with the fact he’d be no taller than 5’6 or 7, he has virtually nothing going for him. If anything, just shows what a team Penrith are that they can carry a player like him and make him look half decent. Again, idk what it’s going to mean for Turuva next year, but Staines performance this year is pretty sobering when thinking about it.

He’s no star but the best winger we have right now. This is not a compliment btw. We have no good wingers.

He’d be okay IMO if he’s centre partner was not a complete trainwreck.

Naden, Kepaoa, Papali’i (apart from last week), Bateman, To’a, Sullivan are all bigger problems than Staines.

Luai bothers me a bit as well tbh..outside the Panthers system and culture
But both are goers and will add not just talent,but resolve and commitment
we need guys like this....Api needs help
Luai's performances outside the panthers system tend to surprise people in a good way. I never quite understand it. I have seen others say this and I agree that the panthers system just doesn't suit his style

Back