Coach GOAT

@fade-to-black said in [Coach GOAT](/post/1521023) said:
@geo said in [Coach GOAT](/post/1521016) said:
Royce Simmonds

Royce could lay out a witches hat like nobody else. He was the Van Gogh of traffic cone artistry.

Royce has to be regarded as an immortal after having a retirement village named after him.

Bennett is the GOAT.
Dominant at club level for decades.
Great Origin record.
Great Test record for 3 countries.
If his fullback wasn’t such a filthy grub, he would have won another premiership in 2021.
Bellyache has been great but doesn’t often get his teams up for the big games.
Robbo is the dark horse but has a long way to go to catch the master.

A few posts have bellache as the Coach GOAT.
Let's see how he goes for the rest of the season without a lot of these stars.
I believe he will get them back to playing finals type footy.
Noffa is an astute signing and should cover Papenhowsyafather well.

Hypothetical:
If WT and Tim Sheens, by some stretch of the imagination, were to go on to win the 2023 title, would this feat make him coach GOAT?
Considering his successes at different clubs?

Just reading who would be considered the greatest coach in the modern era on Foxsports.
They believe it's between
Wayne Bennett 62.5% wins
Craig Bellamy 70%
Trent Robertson 65%
Have a look at other stats if your interested.
The thing that caught my eye was Bennetts wins were lower than Bellamys.
I knew Bennett had lean time at Newcastle (2012-14 with 45% wins).
Every other club he's coached he's enjoyed over 60% success rate.
Considering the players he had at his disposal, why a poor record there.
Here's a few of the notibles:
Danny Buderus, Sims boys
Darius Boyd, Timana Tahu
Kurt Gidley, Willie Mason
James McManus, Dane Gaga
David Gower.....
So many more other good players if you look into it.
I wonder why, with all these good players and an open cheque book from Tinkler, did they only manage 12th out of 16 in his final year??
I'm leaning to towards Bellamy because he seems to get the best out of lesser players with strict discipline and well organised regime.
Any thoughts, do you have a different coach worth considering?
Has Sheens got good stats from Canberra and WT grand finals?
Happy New Year CC.
I agree re Bellamy, can take mediocre talent and improve them, mainly their headspace.
I like the story about giving new recruits some time on the tools so they fully appreciate the opportunity they have.
Simple but oh so effective.

Happy New Year CC.
I agree re Bellamy, can take mediocre talent and improve them, mainly their headspace.
I like the story about giving new recruits some time on the tools so they fully appreciate the opportunity they have.
Simple but oh so effective.
Happy NY to you too Browny.
Yep, good points. The plus for me is the high standards never seem to drop under Bellyaches watch.
Whilst Tim has had success at Raiders, Pathers and Tigers, there have been drops in standards.
A win next year would elevate him dramatically IMO.

Great stuff.
Old time GOATs like Gibbo and Wazza Ryan should not be forgotten in the discussion.
I remember once Blocker saying that Ryan had a plan for everything and everybody. Even at the team BBQs.
And of course the laconic Gibson was a man manager par excellence.
They made guys like Steve Sharp and Kevin Hardwick an important part of their teams. Both fairly limited player wise but knew and played their roles well and well above their weight.
To me there is two main types of coaching:
1. Maximising the really good players and
2. Getting lesser players to develop as part of the total unit.
Two entirely different coaching techniques but the good uns can do it. Sheens in that spot this year .

I think when the article was first published it hinted it was post Gibson's day but the term GOAT shouldn't apply hey.
If you were to go back to the days of captain coaches you would have to say Norm Provan did all right.
Someone mentioned early that most NRL successful coaches cheated the cap. He's probably right.
Maybe that's the tigers downfall, we don't cheat...well we did get a slap on the wrist once that I know of and paid a small fine.
Those bloody nautilus machines that Jack introduced to his team when he came back from the states were hard yacka. I managed to use them on a tour of the AIS...they work your muscles both in contraction and extention.. phew!

Back