Coaches Corner

Old news... From The Mole:

SHEENS RECRUITS OLD FRIEND

Former Raiders coach David Furner has signed on to join Tim Sheens' staff at the Tigers for next season.

Furner is regarded among the best assistant coaches in the game, having worked at the Knights and Bulldogs over the past two seasons.

Sheens and Furner are extremely close - the veteran coach brought Furner into first grade as a player in the early 1990s and then had him as an assistant when he coached the Kangaroos a decade ago.

Furner, whose father Don was the inaugural Raiders coach in 1982, also coached Canberra from 2009 to 2013.

I hope he achieves better results here than he has at his last 2 clubs,the Sheens old mates club continues to gain pace if not ability

Old news... From The Mole:
SHEENS RECRUITS OLD FRIEND

Former Raiders coach David Furner has signed on to join Tim Sheens' staff at the Tigers for next season.

Furner is regarded among the best assistant coaches in the game, having worked at the Knights and Bulldogs over the past two seasons.

Sheens and Furner are extremely close - the veteran coach brought Furner into first grade as a player in the early 1990s and then had him as an assistant when he coached the Kangaroos a decade ago.

Furner, whose father Don was the inaugural Raiders coach in 1982, also coached Canberra from 2009 to 2013.
I guess the idea is he will be assistant when Benji is head coach. Pretty much having an expierenced head coach to still guide him.

Furner will basically be head coach next year.

Sheensy can now do his head of football role, whilst doing media and not have to say - our head coach is Furner. As we would of obliterated in the media if he was announced as a HC after the Ciraldo debacle.

I look forward to watching the tigers every year mate no matter what happens.
There's too much Black, Gold and White blood running thru my veins not too.
I'm not expecting too much at this stage for next year.
Unless of course Shifty has done some recruiting that we don't know of.
He says that some players are going....we have no troops left so we need more.
What will happen. Are we going to hang in there until 24 hoping a bag of cash will snag someone good and pray that our 21 year old will deliver.
Maybe 2 wooden spoons are better for tossing salad than 1.
Roster, roster, roster, oh deary me 😿
I didn't realise WT or even BT had gold as an official colour.
I thought it was closer black and orange.
But I suppose black and orange doesnt fold doesnt sound as good Eh?

Last edited:
Drop our commitment to the area represented by one of the founding clubs of WTs - Wests Magpies?
Seems like you trying to stir up some good ol us v them with your mention of ...drop our commitment blah blah blah Wests Magpies.
Would you like to deny that?

Seems like you trying to stir up some good ol us v them with your mention of ...drop our commitment blah blah blah Wests Magpies.
Would you like to deny that?
Read the full context of the exchange before you post.

I didn-t realise WT or even BT had gold as an official colour.
I thought it was closer black and orange.
But I suppose black and orange doesnt fold doesnt sound as good Eh?
Most people refer to tigers in the wild as gold not orange dont they. Taditional colours of the magpies are black and white not grey and white?
I'm not a fan of changing jerseys every year because we need an identity.
Marketing annoys me.
I recognise the green machine out of all the jerseys as recognisable but even they have experimented over the years.

Where are we all without hope.
Don’t we hope Albo is a success , don’t we hope we can slow down global warming, don’t we hope the economy bounces back, don’t we hope for better wages and conditions, don’t we hope our kids turn out ok, don’t we hope we don’t get really sick.
Why not hope for some major improvement by our footy club via some new coaches . We’ve had quite a few who haven’t worked but these guys, I believe, have a different agenda.
You sound like a fairly practical kind of guy, which not a bad thing, but try not to be cynical and rain on others hopes.
Me, I want to believe but have some doubts about certain aspects , but really hope I’m wrong and we all reap the benefits.
I need my football team to be somewhat successful to help me get through all of the above 🤣

I hope he achieves better results here than he has at his last 2 clubs,the Sheens old mates club continues to gain pace if not ability
you usually employ your old mates as they are less likely to stab you in the back.
and I do say less likely as I know some old mates that will stab you in the back so the theory is you dont trust anyone when they are out of sight.
there are to many two faced people out there.

you usually employ your old mates as they are less likely to stab you in the back.
and I do say less likely as I know some old mates that will stab you in the back so the theory is you dont trust anyone when they are out of sight.
there are to many two faced people out there.

Football clubs are the perfect breeding ground for back stabbers

I’d only agree to be the coach if I could get the board and CEO to agree to match payments as their new remuneration structure like how players used to get paid back in the day. Obviously can’t do it with the players due to the Salary cap structure but I’d bet the decision making out of the administration would improve overnight.

Back