Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Balmainbred
You are showinh your age @Balmainbred I would say a lot of people on the Forum would unfortunately not know who Dennis Tutty is.

@ElleryHanley
Do you know the history of the cap. It was introduced with he draft in the 90s. Terry hill didn't want to go to a club that he was picked up on via the draft and took the Then ARL to court and won as it was deemed as a restraint of trade .
If a AFL player decides to take the draft on , irrespective of their union signing off on it , the AFL draft would be banned.

Now I will give my 2 cents why these matto issues and clubs trying to offload players occurring more past 2 years. It's due to Greenturd introducing top 30 squads.
1)Harder to introduce youngsters if top squad is useless and makes it less attractive to develop players as limited spots and opportunities.
2) the higher number of players in top squad counted in main cap (30) means with the larger overall cap , the few top players are on massive overs and does not leave much room to fit remaining 20 plus players in cap , which means clubs constantly offloading underperforming players or players new coaches don't like and also players willing to move around lots more to get average to very good contract money

Been chatting with a guy i know from the Roosters. Apparently Matterson has form with this type of behaviour. He was saying good guy but has a lot of people in his ear.
After chatting to him i went from hating on Matterson to feeling sorry for him. Sounds like he has surrounded himself with the wrong people and just doesn't see it.
I am going to be in the minority, but i do hope he stays and can get himself sorted out.

@Anon-lurker said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066516) said:
If a AFL player decides to take the draft on , irrespective of their union signing off on it , the AFL draft would be banned.

That is not necessarily true, restraints of trade are not automatically illegal. The AFL would obviously argue that the draft is a fair and reasonable restraint of trade, if they can argue that the benefits of the draft to the competition outweigh the restraint of trade it is possible that a court could find it is a fair and reasonable restraint.

@formerguest I agree with what your saying. But there would be millions each club wastes on admin overheads, that outside of a decent scouting system , wouldn't be there anymore .
Or god forbid , the NRL allocates 12 mil to each club and and a further 16mil to run junior footy .

@Tigers_Tale said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066394) said:
@supercoach Well Matterson is also another Cleary signing which appears to have gone sour. If you want to put some blame on research on player signings then there is a target

100 % on Cleary. he was clutching at any good player. Never mind the culture of the club or things like due allegiance in recruiting.

An example is the new Quarterback for the New York Giants. Every single expert said he was drafted too high. Turns out the Giants had really good information on the quality of the person they were recruiting and they ignored the common opinion. They drafted mentality.

If a club like ours isnt recruiting quality people then we will never recruit quality players.

@cochise said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066519) said:
@Anon-lurker said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066516) said:

That is not necessarily true, restraints of trade are not automatically illegal. The AFL would obviously argue that the draft is a fair and reasonable restraint of trade, if they can argue that the benefits of the draft to the competition outweigh the restraint of trade it is possible that a court could find it is a fair and reasonable restraint.

Very similar to De Berlin scenario but one’s obviously has personal/PR facets whilst the other purely about business/finance. I think the draft is a much fairer administration of things... it also doesn’t mean guaranteed success and until we’ve won another GF I’d rather wait !

@Eye_of_the_Tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066517) said:
Been chatting with a guy i know from the Roosters. Apparently Matterson has form with this type of behaviour. He was saying good guy but has a lot of people in his ear.
After chatting to him i went from hating on Matterson to feeling sorry for him. Sounds like he has surrounded himself with the wrong people and just doesn't see it.
I am going to be in the minority, but i do hope he stays and can get himself sorted out.

He's definitely in with the wrong people goggle NRL ORR BROTHERS (Mattos management team)and read their highlights package.

@Elderslie_Tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066515) said:
@Balmainbred
You are showinh your age @Balmainbred I would say a lot of people on the Forum would unfortunately not know who Dennis Tutty is.

I'm pretty sure Dennis played with one of my workmates

@Spacecub
He was graded by Balmain in 1964 @ 17 years of age he is now 73 was the first player to challenge NSWRL free agency in court and won

@Elderslie_Tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066537) said:
@Spacecub
He was graded by Balmain in 1964 @ 17 years of age he is now 73 was the first player to challenge NSWRL free agency in court and won

He actually challenged the restraint of trade that you could only play for your district and the right for players to transfer to another Club..

At the time, clubs were able to prevent any professional player who had played in one of its teams from playing with any other club

And won..

Hooper just said on NRL360, Matto will continue to ask for a release, not salvageable and he will be somewhere else next year. Mentioned parra and titans as the clubs most likely.
Me I would tell parra to stick it, they started this crap

@Geo said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066540) said:
@Spacecub

He actually challenged the restraint of trade that you could only play for your district and the right for players to transfer to another Club..

At the time, clubs were able to prevent any professional player who had played in one of its teams from playing with any other club

And won..

I say who cares if matto goes the guys not a match winner he’s a decent nrl player no ones gunna come to the tigers because matto here let him go

@leftrightout said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066549) said:
@Geo said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066540) said:
@Spacecub

And won..

I say who cares if matto goes the guys not a match winner he’s a decent nrl player no ones gunna come to the tigers because mattos here let him go

@851 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066547) said:
Hooper just said on NRL360, Matto will continue to ask for a release, not salvageable and he will be somewhere else next year. Mentioned parra and titans as the clubs most likely.

I'm really worried that this amature organization will let him go and receive absolutely no advantage

@Elderslie_Tiger
Well its obvious you do to reply, for all the people that do not know who “DENNIS TUTTY” is.
Suggest you google him & his history.

Hard to ask the club for a release whilst your holidaying in the Greek islands.

@Spacecub said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066551) said:

I'm really worried that this amature organization will let him go and receive absolutely no advantage

I have faith in Madge. He at least deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure he will when he returns from his holiday.
Don't expect him to be with us in the new year. Hopefully Maguire and Hartigan keep denying a release unless it benefits us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back