Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@happy_tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066386) said:
@Russell said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066384) said:
@ElleryHanley said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066339) said:
@TigerTiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066307) said:
@ElleryHanley It's nice that all the players know who will win the GF. You hear about these players leaving their club and joining another because they want to win a GF, doesn't that just scream to you that the comp isn't fair and on a level playing field? Even the players know it, openly express it.

The NRL does not police it, that is why.

They need a free agency / trade / draft like the AFL....NBA......NFL.....

Every code with a salary cap has all those things.

Caps do not work without all the components.

Which is why we have this mess.

Don't agree on a draft myself.

The RLPA will never let it happen

Glad to hear it.

The Romans had a draft system BC - it was called slavery (buy the one you want).

G'day @Mccarry: re your "I heard he confronted Robinson"...sounds to me like it's another rumour, that you have chosen to believe.
As @diedpretty said "there is no definitive answer out there".

This is not just to you personally, but to all our forumers...why don't we give Matterson a break from the criticism until we DO hear something definitive.
And when that time comes, if there is a need for non-supportive comment, I will put my 2 bobs worth in then.
Have a great day :fa-smile-o:

G'day @PrattenParkMagpie: thanks for your post as it certainly helped to put a smile not only my face, but I'm sure a lot of others as well.
Have a great day P.P.Magpie.:fa-smile-o: :smile: :smiley: :fa-smile-o:

@ElleryHanley It's nice that all the players know who will win the GF. You hear about these players leaving their club and joining another because they want to win a GF, doesn't that just scream to you that the comp isn't fair and on a level playing field? Even the players know it, openly express it.

Fair enough, but the system does not work without one. The NRL literally just copied the salary cap from US sports but then left out the key parts: drafts and trades.

On its own, it does not work. Players can simply sulk their way out, young prospects you spend years developing can simply up and leave with zero compensation....

It is why we have the mess we have and why teams like the Rorters and Storm, who together produce barely a single junior player, sit back and just take what they want. There is no price to pay to just sit there and take off other clubs.

Clubs like us and Parra produce tons of kids...then have to balance the books trying to keep them all.

Roosters and Storm produce none and then use all their money to grab the top few kids from other teams.

A draft prevents them doing that.

Works in every other code.

@Russell said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066395) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066386) said:

The RLPA will never let it happen

Glad to hear it.

The Romans had a draft system BC - it was called slavery (buy the one you want).

The roosters still buy the ones they want, we have been doing it wrong all these years:smile:

G'day @tigerbalm: how did you know I AM an older poster? :relaxed:
But I am not, never have been nor will I ever be American X.
I have been to the U.S.A. though and I :hearts: the place.
Have a great day, see Yuh :fa-smile-o:

@ElleryHanley It’s the only real way forward . Even if it’s like the AFL draft , where it’s basically free agency except that if you are under contract and want to change teams , trades are required of either the rookie draft picks or the supplemental draft . It’s a bad model to have teams running junior development anyway.
That’s why bush footy and juniors has zero investment , because clubs only care about the 30 man squad .
You give it all back to the NRL , and have a draft , and the clubs themselves become far more sustainable , and I bet bush footy would get a much needed cash injection , as revenue created by junior footy goes back into it .

@Strongee said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066429) said:
bet bush footy would get a much needed cash injection , as revenue created by junior footy goes back into it .

Doubt that there are more than a few junior clubs that have more than a pair of notes to rub together after their running costs are taken out and it was even worse locally before the NSW gov started the Active Kids initiative. Virtually every cent is already reinvested into gear etc, of which many are still short of.

I love how you most mate. You are so respectful and warm in how you write. We can all learn a thing or two from you.

@Mccarry said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066440) said:
@MAGPIES1963 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066400) said:
@Russell :point_up: :fa-smile-o: :sweat_smile said:
I love how you most mate. You are so respectful and warm in how you write. We can all learn a thing or two from you.

You mustn't have seen all his posts.

@ElleryHanley said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066402) said:

Fair enough, but the system does not work without one. The NRL literally just copied the salary cap from US sports but then left out the key parts: drafts and trades.

On its own, it does not work. Players can simply sulk their way out, young prospects you spend years developing can simply up and leave with zero compensation....

It is why we have the mess we have and why teams like the Rorters and Storm, who together produce barely a single junior player, sit back and just take what they want. There is no price to pay to just sit there and take off other clubs.

Clubs like us and Parra produce tons of kids...then have to balance the books trying to keep them all.

Roosters and Storm produce none and then use all their money to grab the top few kids from other teams.

A draft prevents them doing that.

Works in every other code.

How about the system the way it is.

If you want to break the contract (that you the player, signed), you can but you have to sit out the remaining period with the remainder of the contract money withheld and put into the clubs junior league. At the end of the contract period (i.e. when the sit out period is concluded) the player is at liberty to sign with a new club but not before.

Players would think twice about who the signed with, how long they sign for and whether they would break the contract (that they signed).

I have thought the exact same thing. The current state of player contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Players leaving early, clubs trying to offload players (just like we are). The NRL contract system needs an overhaul and id love to see the dodgy player managers scrapped from our game. Clubs search for who they want and challenge for them when the contracted players are up for a new deal. An independent legal firm oversees the contracts and represents the player impartially and under the same scope (No matter who you are).

I know most will pick this idea apart, but just spitballing an idea that is fairer then the current situation.

@Tcat said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066481) said:
I have thought the exact same thing. The current state of player contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Players leaving early, clubs trying to offload players (just like we are). The NRL contract system needs an overhaul and id love to see the dodgy player managers scrapped from our game. Clubs search for who they want and challenge for them when the contracted players are up for a new deal. An independent legal firm oversees the contracts and represents the player impartially and under the same scope (No matter who you are).

I know most will pick this idea apart, but just spitballing an idea that is fairer then the current situation.

The NRL need to get their **** together and tell the RLPA to shove it up their you-know-what. They've been trying to do something about contracts and trade windows for a couple of years now, but the RLPA interfere every single time.

@hammertime said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066448) said:
@Mccarry said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066440) said:
@MAGPIES1963 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066400) said:
@Russell :point_up: :fa-smile-o: :sweat_smile said:

You mustn't have seen all his posts.

Just don't write anything about Wests.

@Kazoo-Kid said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066484) said:
@Tcat said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066481) said:

The NRL need to get their **** together and tell the RLPA to shove it up their you-know-what. They've been trying to do something about contracts and trade windows for a couple of years now, but the RLPA interfere every single time.

Hoping the new boss of the commission can sort this contract mess out..but not holding my breath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back