Daine Laurie #237

Just looking at the stats for Laurie

he forgets he is a full back and lets high balls bounce instead of attacking them. the forwards get their arms free and no full back in sight.
I remember exactly early 2nd half a bomb coming down 5m from our line Laurie and a couple of other tigers just watched it .Tigers reject Sam McIntyre picked it up and scored and it was a bad one but only one he didn't go for .It was a bad error but one error
Weve lost 6 in a row he only played first 2

he is not the dynamic fullback needed to get to the semis. too much in and out of game, does not hover around looking for opportunities. Check out Heath Mason's game last Sunday... already positionally far superior.

A couple of comments have been removed,
Please refrain from making generalising statements about different ethnic backgrounds.

I'm not sure what the objective of the Wests Tigers Indigenous Pathways program was but even the Australian Education system include cultural responsive frameworks (and other resources) to guide Educators teaching ATSI and ESL students.
It's not uncommon or diffucult to understand people from different backgrounds have different barriers.
IMO this is more than helpful when facilitating the educational needs of students and it should not be frowned upon or criticised.
Educators are unable to apply certain strategies without these inclusive and responsive pedagogies. Therefore, I'd say the aim is pretty much the same and there is absolutely nothing wrong with helping a kid fulfil their potential by catering to their individual needs.

Is that all?
Plenty of fullbacks let the floaters bounce
Do we coach for it.

Brett Hodgson used to let balls bounce a lot and maybe Laurie got it off him.

Laurie's skills at fullback were wrong. That is a drop to reggie's for 2-3 weeks get those skills back.

^Yet Laurie appears to have taken it hard, was on the "outer" and not able to deal with this. Yes that is on him, yes that is on the coaching staff as well.

Laurie needed to fix some basics at fullback.

Do we coach for it.

Brett Hodgson used to let balls bounce a lot and maybe Laurie got it off him.

Laurie's skills at fullback were wrong. That is a drop to reggie's for 2-3 weeks get those skills back.

^Yet Laurie appears to have taken it hard, was on the "outer" and not able to deal with this. Yes that is on him, yes that is on the coaching staff as well.

Laurie needed to fix some basics at fullback.

No good dragging his bottom lip.

He was offered a 1 year only extension under where he's currently at, Has basically been able to sign for another club for the best part of 6 months (With no takers) And has now been dropped to reserve grade.
After Staines last game, and Bula been bigged up all offseason and able to play in 2 weeks....
It doesn't look great for him.
Maybe it's not only Sheens and half the posters here that don't see a future with Daine at Fullback?
Reality don't consider feelings sometimes....

Just looking at the stats for Laurie
Rd 1 run 219 m 1 try 1 line break 1 line break assist
Rd 2 run 191 m 6 tackle breaks
Rd 3 he's dropped ?
What exactly happened there ?
By the way those same stats show Talau as doing bugger all Rd 1 ,2
He stopped catching the ball on the full?

I don't know Laurie or what he is thinking but if a young guy is voted players player of the year 6 months ago and now judging by this forum everyone thinks you are almost the worst player maybe it might do your head in . What then happens is apathy and poor performance
I believe he must have not performed that well not because of the comments on this forum which I feel just follow the like or dislike pattern regardless but Tim and co wouldn't drop the players player 6 months later for no good reason
Last year many games he tried his guts out .Can he be salvaged ?
Sometimes guts gets confused with ability...

To me he tries really hard, but drops the ball too much as a fullback and isn't quick enough either. He'd make a better halfback IMO, but then he's in the line defensively and I'm not sure he'd handle that.

Sprinkle in some stupid social media posts that completely lack awareness, and my conclusion is that he's not good enough to stay in the rebuild.

Sometimes guts gets confused with ability...
After Staines pretty good performance marred by one horrible drop of a parra drop out .
Note im not holding that against him unlike when Laurie let the Titans bomb bounce
I'm happy that we've found our fullback in Staines so for gods sake leave him there let him grow into the position and stop moving him around !
Regarding Laurie we've got our FB but I feel he's got some instinctive footy skills and wonder if he could be used in the half's

I have no doubt that's the case,and quite honestly his own behaviour has shown a complete lack of any conviction or commitment to our club.
He thinks and acts like hes a superstar in waiting..and if he was we mite indeed have more flexibility and tolerance ..but atm hes a VERY fringe first grader with significant flaws in his game.which need substantial development
His attitude towards WTs suggest hes not really worth investing in
I can remember the glowing 🥰 endorsement on here from Our Club re Laurie when he was signed.
Unfortunately, imo he hasn't lived up to that reputation :( for whatever reason.

I think any young spine player is going to struggle in this team at the moment
Certainly true for the past couple years, but I think the team this year presents a prime opportunity for a kid to come in a just play to their strengths.
Staines has shown the way, play simple footy at speed and good things will happen, and Tupou is showing us what a young fella with natural ability should be able to do off the back of that type of play.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back