Daine Laurie #237

I like and agree your analysis for me AD could be a good center not a fullback but needing his kicking game must be 5/8 academic now anyway
Naden was a winger at Penrith and Dogs
Agree Brooks is not a halfback because he is a hesitant decision maker but he can run ,tackle and is fast .These are attributes of a center
We recruited and fixed up our forwards but our backline sucks
Naden is predominantly a centre.
Source - https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/brent-naden/positions.html

No good dragging his bottom lip.

He was offered a 1 year only extension under where he's currently at, Has basically been able to sign for another club for the best part of 6 months (With no takers) And has now been dropped to reserve grade.
After Staines last game, and Bula been bigged up all offseason and able to play in 2 weeks....
It doesn't look great for him.
Maybe it's not only Sheens and half the posters here that don't see a future with Daine at Fullback?
Reality don't consider feelings sometimes....
Look, don't get me wrong. Laurie is never going to be a permanent fullback and I am unsure if he realises this.

Positions are up for grabs. It's attitude management. The coaching staff should be working with a player on a drop in performance. "hey Laurie, your costing us meters at the back. Fix this." yet he hasn't seen the message as this.

I wish I was lived closer to the team so I could get a feel for what is going on, so my comments are based more on hearsay than fact.

Gus, has stated on many occasions prior to now that Daino was in the Penrith system as a 6 but was stuck behind guys like Luai so was moved to Fullback.

Sheens has stated that Laurie trained in the halves and fullback all off season. AD was seen as the half we needed and Wakeham was bought in a as depth late in the off season. Wakeham has been selected over Laurie in the halves again this week. To me this is a good indication of how the coaching staff have assessed his ability as a half to date.

Either Gus or Shenji are wrong in their assessment of Daino. Given we have already tried the Wakeham experiment I'm not sure why Laurie isn't starting at 5/8 with Wakeham or Simpkin on the bench.

I would like to see Daino given a chance at 5/8. For those that have seen him train there what is your assessment of his fit for the position?

I wish I was lived closer to the team so I could get a feel for what is going on, so my comments are based more on hearsay than fact.

Gus, has stated on many occasions prior to now that Daino was in the Penrith system as a 6 but was stuck behind guys like Luai so was moved to Fullback.

Sheens has stated that Laurie trained in the halves and fullback all off season. AD was seen as the half we needed and Wakeham was bought in a as depth late in the off season. Wakeham has been selected over Laurie in the halves again this week. To me this is a good indication of how the coaching staff have assessed his ability as a half to date.

Either Gus or Shenji are wrong in their assessment of Daino. Given we have already tried the Wakeham experiment I'm not sure why Laurie isn't starting at 5/8 with Wakeham or Simpkin on the bench.

I would like to see Daino given a chance at 5/8. For those that have seen him train there what is your assessment of his fit for the position?

Have also seen Gus comments
- I heard it as he'd come the them as a 6, Should have been developed as a 6 - While conceding he hadn't been (At Penrith)
He's basically been a fullback since 2017-2018...
Fair stretch to think he'll make a come back to the halves or even fill in there at NRL level now.... Obviously, There's players that do it (On their ear) But they're levels beyond Daine in talent.

Worth noting Brendan Hands was the Half in Lauries age group coming through at the Panthers
- Now playing at Hooker for the Eels.

Sheens ego won't see him put Daine at 6 just in case it's succesful and proves Gus right and someone else wrong

Which is a shame because I've long thought of him as a 6. Problem is you put him at 6, and you have the Sheens wet dream of two five eighths on the field.

Last edited:
Well I think those of us who wanted to see DL trialled at 6 will get our wish. Better to do it in Reggie’s till we can see if it’s positive or not.
Another good reason to watch the 2s on Sunday. Look forward to any feedback from people attending the game.
Speaking of which what are the crowd estimates out there , I’ll say around 12,000.

Well I think those of us who wanted to see DL trialled at 6 will get our wish. Better to do it in Reggie’s till we can see if it’s positive or not.
Another good reason to watch the 2s on Sunday. Look forward to any feedback from people attending the game.
Speaking of which what are the crowd estimates out there , I’ll say around 12,000.
I still think the Manly game is better suited to LO and Canberra, Dogs and Penrith should be CS games, for crowd numbers. Seems like common sense but we don’t excel in that department.

No idea what the crowd will be but I know that in the equivalent round last year there was a touch over 10k but the most disappointing part of it was that I think Manly supporters out numbered us.

I found that to be extraordinary because Manly supporters are not renowned for travelling, and I would have thought that would apply even more so to travelling to the Fibro infested South Western regions.

I find it hard to believe that there would be large numbers of Manly supporters in the South West.

In any case I hope we can get a decent roll up of Wests Tigers supporters out to Cambo with 3 grades on show starting from 11:50 on Sunday morning which isn't a common occurrence these days.

While on the subject of the early game, there is one thing that has pissed me off for a long time now and that is the fact that the gates don't open until 5 minutes before kick off and this seem to be the case for a long time when there are 3 grades played and this seems to have been the case going back to the under 20's and now Flegg.

By the time you get there and get your bags and things checked by security, get through the gate and go to your seats, you've missed 10 minutes of the game.

I know there are not a huge number of people turn up early but to me that shows disrespect to the young talent running around when it would not be a big deal to open the gates 10 or 15 minutes earlier.

Well that got that one off my chest at least.

My main issue to start with would be his kicking game.

I do want to see Daino at 5/8 and I don't know that Wakeham offers more then a good reserve half. (please PLEASE do not mention Will Smith...). I mean as a signing that I saw NOTHING in, and as many others pointed out, there were better people waiting. Wakeham has been better then expected. Still not the solution at 5/8.

Daine Laurie can cross the line and we need back line speed. Daine has a height disadvantage and put him at Fullback he will not win the high ball, slightly better at Wing but still an issue. 5/8 he has a chance at bedding down a solid position, likewise at Centre.

The choice is his. He can be a first grader but no more temper tantrums.

Latest posts

Members online

Back