Detailed Trial Report

@Flippedy said:
@fergiefurr said:
Hey all,

So tonight I was a massive nerd and did my best to take stats while I watched the game. Obviously these won't be dead accurate but will hopefully give those who missed it a bit of an insight.

Saints won 20-10

Penalties saints 10-7\. Tigers received 1 penalty second half.

Quarter 1:

1\. Heleta - game stats 13 runs, 113m
2\. Nofa - game stats 8 runs, 60, 3 offloads, 1 try
3\. Chee-Kam - game stats 11 runs, 80ms, 1 offload, 1 try assist 1 error
4\. Kev - game stats 3 runs for 15m
5\. Suli - 9 runs, 68m, 1 offload
6\. Littlejohn - 1 run, 12m, 1 try assist, 2 missed tackles
7\. Hunt - 3 runs, 8m, 2 missed tackles
8\. T. Grant - 8 runs, 68m, 1 offload, 2 missed tackles
9\. Mcillwrick - 3 runs, 39m, 1 error
10\. Ava - 5 runs, 47m, 1 missed tackle
11\. Sue - 4 runs, 33m, 1 error, 1 offload, 1 missed tackle
12\. Lawrence - 5 runs, 33m
13\. Taylor - 4 runs, 32m, 1 offload, 1 error, 1 missed tackle

This 13 played the full 20\. I felt our forwards dominated theirs fairly easily but we had no cohesion in the halves/backs. The try was after we'd had a pretty poor set on their line. McIllwrick went the short side to MCK who got a great offload to Heleta who simple drew the winger to give to Suli to dive over in the corner. Hunt converted from the sideline. Saints used the ball more then us and looked crisper in attack. They had us shot on the right twice but poor final passes left tries begging. Hunt missed a bad tackled on Mann but he was well covered by Lawrence and MCK who forced the ball loose in a dangerous situation.

Quarter 2:

Same team except Rankin for Suli, Marshall king for McIllwrick and aloiai came on for Ava halfway through.

Debelin was sin binned early for striking, we scored next set after Littlejohn put a nice cross field chip for Nofa in the corner. Rankin missed by a mile from the sideline. Rankin spilled the ball on a kick return, saints luckily drop it next set. In the 38th minute saints somehow get their left centre on the outside of Nofa from a simple shift and score. Our right defence is a complete shambles. I don't know who's fault it is but even a second rate dragons outfit was making breaks down it. From the ensuing set saints throw the ball around on halfway, have a few offloads, shift from right to left and Field crosses next to the posts as halftime sounds. He hit the posts and we go to the break up by 2.

Quarter 3:

Completely different team.

1\. Heleta
2\. Mata'afa - 5 runs, 41m
3.idris - 6 runs, 77m,
4\. Suli
5\. Nofa
6\. Rankin - 9 runs, 71m, 2 errors
7\. Marshallking - 1 run, 10m, 3 missed tackles
8\. J. Grant - 6 runs, 54m
9\. Little john
10\. Eisenhuth - 1 run, 10m
11\. Sironen - 4 runs, 21m, 3 missed tackles
12\. Masters - 5 runs, 32m, 1 error, 1 missed tackle
13\. Aloiai - 5 runs, 32m

From here on in it was a very dull affair. Saints were camped at our end. We had 1 set in saints 20 and rankin dropped it cold 3rd tackle. I didn't see one shift all quarter. Saints still had a lot of their main squad on like Sims, Ah Mau, Mann, Mccrone, Lafai, de Belin, McInness. The only real highlight was Idris first hit up where he made 15m. Our guys tried hard the whole game but it was a shambles from here. Eisenhuth went off with what looked like a leg injury after 10mins and was replaced by LoLo. It didn't seem serious. Our goal line defence and particularly scramble was pretty good. Nofa and Mata'afa both made last ditch tackles to save tries.

Quarter 4:

1\. Rankin
2\. Suli
3\. Idris
4\. MCK
5\. Mafa
6\. Masters (yep that's how seriously we took it)
7\. Little john
8\. Tatola - 5 runs, 41m, 1 error, 1 missed tackle
9\. McIllwrick
10\. LoLo - 6 runs, 55m, 1 error
11\. Sironen
12\. Aloiai
13\. J.Grant

I really wish I left before this started. Again we tried but saints were camped at our end. The highlight was probably a hilarious kick that JLJ put up that went about 10m backwards that saints somehow didn't score off. They scored off a grubber with about 10 to go. Basically with masters playing 5/8 you know how seriously we took this. Bad part was Suli went off with a leg injury that looked worse then Eisenhuths and was replaced by Heleta. Saints again had a pretty strong team on the park.
\
\
Overall I wouldn't be worried about the result at all. Both forward packs at the start were reasonably strong and we dominated theirs. We just didn't have the backs to make the most of it. Helena is safe and I'd be happy with him filling in if Teddy is out. T.grant and Ava were both great. I'll be very surprised if Idris is in the team for round 1\. He was very hard to pull down and safe in defence but he looked out on his feet after 10 mins. He only played left centre. Lastly I know it's been done to death but rankin was beyond terrible. He dropped the ball twice and in general was just horrible in every position. I would rather Tatola on the wing then him, he can't be near the team if we are to challenge for the 8.

Thanks for that summary Fergie - sounds like the team in the first quarter performed the best.

What I really don't understand is Taylor's persistence to keep playing Rankin. He was originally named on the bench for this trial, but ends up playing 3 of the 4 quarters and quite badly by the sound of it! He played all of the nines as well - surely we've all seen enough of him by now to know that he just isn't up to NRL standard. I mean how many chances does he get? I would like to see more of Hunt or Heleta but they are never given anywhere near the opportunity to show what they have compared to Rankin - it's really frustrating!

You just know that he will end up somewhere in the first grade squad come round one and it will be a bloody travesty.

The simple answer to your question is the coach has no idea, and he plays favourites, accountability is a word he uses a lot without knowing the meaning

@InBenjiWeTrust said:
except Sue and Aloiai, our 2nd rowers run at best 5 m per hit, simply not good enough.

After taking stats last Night it really made me realise how decieving they can be. A lot of our second rowers hit ups were getting the ball 3-4m from the defensive line 2 wide, so obviously their stats aren't going to be as high as props who get it one out off the dummyhalf when the defence is still back 10m.

Thanks for the report fergusmaximus. Hopefully Suli and Eisenhuth just need a bit of ice and rest on their legs.

@jadtiger said:
Thanks for the good summary we appear to have the same issues as last year with the same 2 anchors.Hopefully Rankin and Kevie play reggies all year because first graders they are not.

Rankin should not ever play FG again, Kev may have some value on the wing.
As someone here said, if Rankin is in the side come Round 1 it'll be a joke.

Thanks fergiefurr, All the best for 2017 and let's hope that we can get rid of Rankin, re-sign the big 4 and finally break the finals drought!

What I don't understand about JT's logic is he takes Brooks to a Mickey Mouse Tournament in Auckland that he openly described as having no desire in doing well but in the 13 a side game like a trial where Brooks needs to go into the Season with confidence and a bit of form…..he doesn't use him :unamused:
You can't cotton wool your players.

Brilliant report fergie cheers.

@foreveratiger said:
What I don't understand about JT's logic is he takes Brooks to a Mickey Mouse Tournament in Auckland that he openly described as having no desire in doing well but in the 13 a side game like a trial where Brooks needs to go into the Season with confidence and a bit of form…..he doesn't use him :unamused:

Apparently had a tight hamstring, was scheduled to play.

@foreveratiger said:

You also don't want to play players carrying a minor injury in trials especially hammies they can be tricky…

@Harvey said:
@foreveratiger said:

Well fair enough but if he got that injury in the 9's? In a tournament JT had no desire in doing well? Well the Coach is clueless as the 13 a side is what matters.

@tigerbenji said:
Was there & i left after the third quarter, Couldnt take any more.

:laughing: gee it's been 5 Months since you've seen our team play and your over it already.

Let's hope that JT steps it up a bit next weekend cause we really need some trial form with our combinations going into Round 1.

@Tiger Tim said:
The thing i took out of the trial was attitude. Jack De Belin hits one of our forwards and not one of them does anything. Our forwards are still not aggressive enough and other teams know this and walk all over us. Where is the mongrel.

We were defending at the time, won a penalty and JDB got sent to the bin for 10\. I'd welcome our players copping knocks all night if that were the result.

@foreveratiger said:

Finally a bit of common sense on the Forum

Apart from SC ,JadTiger , Ink and myself a lot on here need to take their nectarine ,white and black sunnies off

These blokes need as much game time together they can get

@foreveratiger said:
@Harvey said:
@foreveratiger said:

Well fair enough but if he got that injury in the 9's? In a tournament JT had no desire in doing well? Well the Coach is clueless as the 13 a side is what matters.

You have to send so many senior players…you cannot send a squad of reggies/20s players

You should quit now

Our right side defence at wing and centre is still as poor as ever. Ball handling from these two is equally poor, Moses was not there but the defence was still diabolical. Moses looked strong in defence with more competent players (Beale at centre and the right winger) to his right. What does this say about the ability of these two players to improve and also the coaching?

@innsaneink said:
@foreveratiger said:
@Harvey said:
@foreveratiger said:

You have to send so many senior players…you cannot send a squad of reggies/20s players

You should quit now

I'm aware you have to send so many senior players and he did that.

Quit what?

@happy tiger said:
@foreveratiger said:

Finally a bit of common sense on the Forum

Apart from SC ,JadTiger , Ink and myself a lot on here need to take their nectarine ,white and black sunnies off

These blokes need as much game time together they can get

Happy,just for a moment step back from the keyboard and have a think about the depth players and young guys that are in the top squad,Taylor has to see what he has to replace his key players with through the year if injuries,suspensions etc fall on us..
Its well and good to contract a kid for 1.3 mill but at least give him a hit out and see what he can do,onceTaylor fields his top 17 we will know more on how they are going,having said that,the halves,teddy etc should be right to go, the hooking role is the most important selection at the moment and Taylor has a hard decision to make along that line.
As for as much game time together,our top players have had plenty of time together,its the new players that have to show us what they have got to offer before that get plenty of game time first…

Side note......Brooks was sent to the nines exactly for the reason of getting confidence,to control a game and team,as we know he hasn't shown anywhere near as much controlling the games as Moses has...

Brooks Sent to control the team yet didn't play the first game 6min in the second and 14min in the third..

Was he using Jedi mind control.. :confused:

@Geo. said:
Brooks Sent to control the team yet didn't play the first game 6min in the second and 14min in the third..

Was he using Jedi mind control.. :confused:

Don't know what he was using,but even though he is a top player and had to go,it was the opportunity to use him for that job and gain confidence….I'm not on the coaching staff so I wouldn't know why he wasn't utilised,it was a great chance for him to show us how much better he may be this year...

@happy tiger said:
I know I've done this to death , but we lose a quality player in the 9's and its the end of the world , but we lose Suli to a leg injury in a trial and that's OK

Its a mad , mad world we live in

A trial is necessary preparation for the season. The nines is totally unnecessary and isn't preparation for the season.

If you don't do training and trials you go into round one with a bunch of out of shape , rusty players. If you don't do nines you go into the season as you would have been anyway.

Injuries in trials are an unfortunate consequence of required preparation. Injuries in nines are a foolish consequence of players risking themselves for no useful purpose.

Latest posts

Members online

Back