Detailed Trial Report

@foreveratiger said:
@innsaneink said:
@foreveratiger said:
@Harvey said:
Apparently had a tight hamstring, was scheduled to play.

Well fair enough but if he got that injury in the 9's? In a tournament JT had no desire in doing well? Well the Coach is clueless as the 13 a side is what matters.

You have to send so many senior players…you cannot send a squad of reggies/20s players

You should quit now

I'm aware you have to send so many senior players and he did that.

Quit what?

Quit trying to lay blame at JT for what's occurred.
You might find another excuse if you try hard enough

Don't need to offer any excuse ink. If he had no intention of using Brooks don't take him just use Rankin and JLJ as it doesn't mean anything anyway.

Results on the field will define JT this year if he feels resting his senior players or just playing them limited minutes in trials his call….his the one chasing a new contract.

@TrueTiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@foreveratiger said:
What I don't understand about JT's logic is he takes Brooks to a Mickey Mouse Tournament in Auckland that he openly described as having no desire in doing well but in the 13 a side game like a trial where Brooks needs to go into the Season with confidence and a bit of form…..he doesn't use him :unamused:
You can't cotton wool your players.

Brilliant report fergie cheers.

Finally a bit of common sense on the Forum

Apart from SC ,JadTiger , Ink and myself a lot on here need to take their nectarine ,white and black sunnies off

These blokes need as much game time together they can get

Happy,just for a moment step back from the keyboard and have a think about the depth players and young guys that are in the top squad,Taylor has to see what he has to replace his key players with through the year if injuries,suspensions etc fall on us..
Its well and good to contract a kid for 1.3 mill but at least give him a hit out and see what he can do,onceTaylor fields his top 17 we will know more on how they are going,having said that,the halves,teddy etc should be right to go, the hooking role is the most important selection at the moment and Taylor has a hard decision to make along that line.
As for as much game time together,our top players have had plenty of time together,its the new players that have to show us what they have got to offer before that get plenty of game time first…

Side note......Brooks was sent to the nines exactly for the reason of getting confidence,to control a game and team,as we know he hasn't shown anywhere near as much controlling the games as Moses has...

TT , who hard would it be to organize another two trials ( as we have in the past mind you ) for the for the fringe ISC and NYC players to play in …...

The main play in the main trials and the others in another trial

Even perhaps take the games to regional areas , good PR

@2041 said:
@happy tiger said:
I know I've done this to death , but we lose a quality player in the 9's and its the end of the world , but we lose Suli to a leg injury in a trial and that's OK

Its a mad , mad world we live in

A trial is necessary preparation for the season. The nines is totally unnecessary and isn't preparation for the season.

If you don't do training and trials you go into round one with a bunch of out of shape , rusty players. If you don't do nines you go into the season as you would have been anyway.

Injuries in trials are an unfortunate consequence of required preparation. Injuries in nines are a foolish consequence of players risking themselves for no useful purpose.

And our main squad will play one trial

Will be ample time no doubt to see how our new defensive structures work in true game time conditions and get our players match fit

You better hope it is or our season could be over by Rd 6 - 8

@TrueTiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@foreveratiger said:
What I don't understand about JT's logic is he takes Brooks to a Mickey Mouse Tournament in Auckland that he openly described as having no desire in doing well but in the 13 a side game like a trial where Brooks needs to go into the Season with confidence and a bit of form…..he doesn't use him :unamused:

Apart from SC ,JadTiger , Ink and myself a lot on here need to take their nectarine ,white and black sunnies off

Happy,just for a moment step back from the keyboard and have a think about the depth players and young guys that are in the top squad,Taylor has to see what he has to replace his key players with through the year if injuries,suspensions etc fall on us..
Its well and good to contract a kid for 1.3 mill but at least give him a hit out and see what he can do,onceTaylor fields his top 17 we will know more on how they are going,having said that,the halves,teddy etc should be right to go, the hooking role is the most important selection at the moment and Taylor has a hard decision to make along that line.
As for as much game time together,our top players have had plenty of time together,its the new players that have to show us what they have got to offer before that get plenty of game time first…

Side note......Brooks was sent to the nines exactly for the reason of getting confidence,to control a game and team,as we know he hasn't shown anywhere near as much controlling the games as Moses has...

I can't agree with all your thoughts here TT.

Realistically out of the following players that played on the Weekend how many will actually get a run in 1st Grade albeit a massive injury ravaged year: Suli, Mafa, Masters, Littlejohn, Tatela, Lolo, Sironen, Eisenhuith, Marshall-King…..
We can't afford the luxury of wasting a trial and cotton wool some players for Round 1, they need some trial form to go into Round 1.
Brooks couldn't have a run cause he was taken to Auckland and played in a tournament that had no significance and picked up a hamstring strain.

We have major defensive issues and have the luxury of playing players that realistically won't see 1st Grade this year.....waste of a trial.

I agree with your Brooks assessment.

@The Bard said:
Hunt provides good balance in the halves with his sharp zesty explorations with the ball, and Heleta was safe, well positioned, and ran some good lines in attack. I think this bodes well for the teams depth and NSW Cup side.

Zesty? Not a word I'm accustomed to hearing in footy commentary. Any "tangy" performances?
:laughing:

@foreveratiger said:
@Harvey said:
@foreveratiger said:

Well fair enough but if he got that injury in the 9's? In a tournament JT had no desire in doing well? Well the Coach is clueless as the 13 a side is what matters.

You have to include a top 5 player in your 9's squad - I suppose you could argue that ET is in the top 5 but i'm guessing the coaching staff concluded Brooks needed the run. He was selected in the trial but withdrew due to a minor injury. Hardly cotton wooling him. It seems you want to have it both ways -

@diedpretty said:
@foreveratiger said:
@Harvey said:
@foreveratiger said:

You have to include a top 5 player in your 9's squad - I suppose you could argue that ET is in the top 5 but i'm guessing the coaching staff concluded Brooks needed the run. He was selected in the trial but withdrew due to a minor injury. Hardly cotton wooling him. It seems you want to have it both ways -

I don't.
Don't need to give Brooks a run in the 9's when there is no interest in doing well.
Who judges that Brooks is in our Top 5? :laughing: what a gee up, in the potential category yeah top 5

@foreveratiger said:
@diedpretty said:
@foreveratiger said:
@Harvey said:

Who judges that Brooks is in our Top 5? :laughing: what a gee up, in the potential category yeah top 5

His pay packet does.

@foreveratiger said:
@TrueTiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@foreveratiger said:

I can't agree with all your thoughts here TT.

Realistically out of the following players that played on the Weekend how many will actually get a run in 1st Grade albeit a massive injury ravaged year: Suli, Mafa, Masters, Littlejohn, Tatela, Lolo, Sironen, Eisenhuith, Marshall-King…..
We can't afford the luxury of wasting a trial and cotton wool some players for Round 1, they need some trial form to go into Round 1.
Brooks couldn't have a run cause he was taken to Auckland and played in a tournament that had no significance and picked up a hamstring strain.

We have major defensive issues and have the luxury of playing players that realistically won't see 1st Grade this year.....waste of a trial.

I agree with your Brooks assessment.

FT,we both have valid points,and if the trial games are as people say an important part of the NRL,then why don't the coaches pick say top 20 players out of the squad and have 2/3 trials per preseason utilising all of the top 17 and changing the other couple of players as needed??
I personally would go back to the old days and play your possibles and probables at training,then pick your top 17 and give them 2/3 trials,these guys are paid to play the game and its their job,as for injuries,they can happen anytime,the fitter the player the less chance of an injury but they happen anytime…..
At least I can converse with you FT and have a say without fear of condemnation...

Happy is reminding me of Reverand Lovejoy running down the street as the comet was hurtling towards Springfield.

All I know is basically our trial v cowboys will be a fair indication of what team we will trot out v Souths round 1.

@jirskyr said:
@The Bard said:
Hunt provides good balance in the halves with his sharp zesty explorations with the ball, and Heleta was safe, well positioned, and ran some good lines in attack. I think this bodes well for the teams depth and NSW Cup side.

Zesty? Not a word I'm accustomed to hearing in footy commentary. Any "tangy" performances?
:laughing:

An attempt at creative writing, it was another way of saying energetic - I admit it can be a bit hit and miss.

As for "tangy", the dictionary definition says "a pungent odor", so that's an easy one - Jordan Rankin's performance was very tangy!!

@ricksen said:
@Tiger Tim said:
The thing i took out of the trial was attitude. Jack De Belin hits one of our forwards and not one of them does anything. Our forwards are still not aggressive enough and other teams know this and walk all over us. Where is the mongrel.

We were defending at the time, won a penalty and JDB got sent to the bin for 10\. I'd welcome our players copping knocks all night if that were the result.

And we still couldn't score any points against 12 men! Oh no :eek:pen_mouth: .

It is as bad as most say :roll

@Tiger Come Lately said:
@ricksen said:
@Tiger Tim said:
The thing i took out of the trial was attitude. Jack De Belin hits one of our forwards and not one of them does anything. Our forwards are still not aggressive enough and other teams know this and walk all over us. Where is the mongrel.

We were defending at the time, won a penalty and JDB got sent to the bin for 10\. I'd welcome our players copping knocks all night if that were the result.

Nofoaluma scored 2min after De Belin was sent to the bin…

@Geo. said:
@Tiger Come Lately said:
@ricksen said:
@Tiger Tim said:

Nofoaluma scored 2min after De Belin was sent to the bin…

So we only managed to score 10 points and 4 of them were against 12 men. Phew that's better. :smiley:

My comments were in jest.

@ricksen said:
@Tiger Tim said:

I disagree. Trials are a time for making a statement for how your going to approach the rest of the year. Letting a forward like De Belin smack you in the mouth and not standing up for yourself would have every other forward pack shaking their heads. Great, we get a penalty and De Belin goes to the bin but without standing up for yourself they keep pushing us around. We had 5 games last year against the Roosters, Bulldogs and Raiders all of whom have big aggressive packs and the combined score was 212 to 60.

We need more toughness and a few hard heads.

Back