Favourite Leichhardt Oval moment

@2041 said:
@Tiger Watto said:
The Watts game was awesome, as was the Titans game where Prince complained to the ref about sending Friend off with Gibbs…

But my favourite game was definitely the Storm Salary Cap Scandal game... The Crowd gave it to them all game, even my wife!

There was a bloke at that game wearing a top had with celery sticks taped all round it and carrying a giant wooden spoon. If memory serves he got up on the scorebox at one stage. We bumped into him at the Red Lion after. He was a bit of a looper in all honesty.

He was right near us on the hill… Had the orange leather balmain jacket on also.

Crazy Bloke, but he had fun!

@2041 said:
A few of mine:
- Beating the Cowboys in the rain in 2013 after seven consecutive losses. We had next to nothing all night and jagged it with a Nofo try on 78\. Barely 5,000, but just a really emotional night. It kind of felt like we couldn't get any lower as a team and a fan base, and that those of us who were still there kind of earned it. Also I gave heaps to Robert Lui before a kick off and the ground was so empty I know he heard.
- The two amazing tries created by Simona against Melbourne the same year. The one finished by Ayshford is the best try I have ever seen. In the rain, pace and through hands. Unbelievable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IildDyAahHE
- Beau Ryan grubbering for himself to win at the death against the Raiders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqtR4vda_OQ
- Gidley dropping the ball cold when lined up to pop over a dead simple golden point field goal, and the bloke next to me breaking the silence by shouting "have a look Gidley you mug". He definitely heard that, too.
- Lawrence icing the game v the Storm. Jeez what a player he could have been. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCNah9KMWhI
- For about two or three games in either 2010 or 2011 there were a bunch of blokes who always stood near us, who pulled out brass instruments at some stage in the game. They only had three songs: Eye of the Tiger, Rocky's Training Theme and Tequila (aka "Fifita"). But a real laugh when the sun's out, you're winning and on the cans.
- The pass on about 1.40 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295tF57HUzY

Love the random crowd moments!

Someone else who wrote about the "celery cap", brilliant too!

But I have one like the cowboys game you mentioned. Saturday night heavy rain, tiny crowd, mudslide on the hill. Really not a memorable game, except for one bloke near us on the hill.

For some reason the roosters wore a different jersey, the bottom bit was identical to their shorts. There was one guy near us yelling out to SKD all night "pull your pants up, pull your pants up!" Loved it, although it probably doesn't translate well to paper.

He also kept yelling out to Utai. "Matt…" Long pause "Matt Utai....Stand up!".
Ok Beer might have made it funnier than it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQi2s4rbaA4

@innsaneink said:
I understand the love for LO for many….it has been a place close to their hearts for many many years...its established, the supporters are established, Balmain was established....it one reason the media paint WTs as Balmain sometimes imo....but thats another story

I havent felt the emotions of a ground for a long long time, as an old Lidcombe era Magpie....it all ended in 1987...the specialness of a ground to call your own...the Magpies have always been nomads, going from Concord to Ashfiied to Lidcombe and Cambo...but Lidcombe was my special place, like cambo is to others here nad leichhardt is too.
I hope its never taken away from you....Ive lost that specialness, been taken away...a lot of it has, part of your love for the game goes when its gone
Enjoy sunday, dunno yet if I'll be there...go Wests Tigers!!! :sign: :sign: :sign:

My dad was a Lidcombe Oval Wests supporter too Ink. Beautifully put, mate. An old family friend who used to play in the front row for the Roosters used to tell me he hated playing against Balmain at LO - especially in the rain. Apparently some of the old ducks used to tape needles to the ends of their umbrellas, and when the opposition players came up the tunnel at half time and full time, used to jab their umbrellas at them! Hilarious! And yeah, Laurie Nichols was one of my favourite memories as well - what a lunatic, God bless him!

I'm not sure if anyone has said it, and it is somewhat of a moot point, but one the best Leichhardt moments was always the walk back to the Leagues Club after a victory.

Watching Adults act like kids in jubilation of a win, and watching the kids beaming with joy and absorbing a special moment to one day tell friends and family "I was there that day" made the walk one of the greatest memories you can never forget.

@innsaneink said:
I understand the love for LO for many….it has been a place close to their hearts for many many years...its established, the supporters are established, Balmain was established....it one reason the media paint WTs as Balmain sometimes imo....but thats another story

I havent felt the emotions of a ground for a long long time, as an old Lidcombe era Magpie....it all ended in 1987...the specialness of a ground to call your own...the Magpies have always been nomads, going from Concord to Ashfiied to Lidcombe and Cambo...but Lidcombe was my special place, like cambo is to others here nad leichhardt is too.
I hope its never taken away from you....Ive lost that specialness, been taken away...a lot of it has, part of your love for the game goes when its gone
Enjoy sunday, dunno yet if I'll be there...go Wests Tigers!!! :sign: :sign: :sign:

Brilliantly put ink , i totally understand your pain.

Well said Ink.
Also I wonder if Tigergran ever spiked a Rooster?
My father told me that my Grandma use to use her umbrella as a bit of a weapon at the footy. The rest of the family would sit on the other side of the ground, because she would go a bit nuts on the red and opposition.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4_

All the talk of sledging the opposition brings me to another favourite Leichardt moment.

Round 20 2011 and we're playing the Roosters. I was broke that weekend, but my brother and I searched the house, collected the change pile from the laundry and all the shrapnel from under the sofa and had just enough for two tickets up on the hill. Walked up to the gate and someone offered me a couple of tickets half price, seems his mates decided to go to to the Rugby instead. Sorted, now we had money left over for chips.

Wasn't a huge crowd that night, and the Tigers were running towards the Barnes stand, so we stood on the fence as the Tigers served up a series of repeat sets, keeping Easts pinned in their own 20\. There was an old bloke giving them heaps, and they were backed up on their own line so you know they could hear him. "You're useless Minichello" "You cost us the Origin you c***". He kept giving it to Minnie the whole half, when he wasn't calling out Todd Carney "You played better on the p1ss Carney" And so it went. Imagine defending a series of dropouts with that in your ear, that's Leichardt.

Moved up the other end in the second half, and towards the end of the game as Easts were getting beaten a lone voice from the hill called out "There's a bus leaving for Goulburn tonight". Still my favourite sledge ever.

Beat Easts by 7 points, gave it to Todd Carney all night, and my brother found $20 on Balmain Rd coming home so we almost broke even.

I remember one time in 96 a friends dad was the Cowboys assistant coach and invited us to the game. We sat on the bench of the Cowboys and James lagiloa scored a try in the corner to seal the game. I jumped up in the air and was going crazy. The friends dad wasn't too impressed haha. Think we won 18-8\. That Cowboys team had a 16/17 year old Scott prince in it.

I was there for pretty much all the games where everybody has had their memories. That night we beat Melbourne in the wet a couple of years back the hill was empty and I pretty much ran from one end of the hill to the other when Simona made that break. I also remember an older fella yelling out tiger wall until he had no voice left

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

@tigerdude said:
I remember one time in 96 a friends dad was the Cowboys assistant coach and invited us to the game. We sat on the bench of the Cowboys and James lagiloa scored a try in the corner to seal the game. I jumped up in the air and was going crazy. The friends dad wasn't too impressed haha. Think we won 18-8\. That Cowboys team had a 16/17 year old Scott prince in it.

I was there for pretty much all the games where everybody has had their memories. That night we beat Melbourne in the wet a couple of years back the hill was empty and I pretty much ran from one end of the hill to the other when Simona made that break. I also remember an older fella yelling out tiger wall until he had no voice left

Sorry it was 98 and the score was 18-0 just sussed it out

During the Robert Lui period there was a guy on the hill who used to yell out "Kick him in the head" all afternoon. Anyone else remember that?

TigerWatto,I have a fond memory of the walk from LO to the leagues club myself many,many moons ago and some will remember the old Panasonic Cup games,weds night,one game the Tigers played Parra in a final and got beat by lots,can't remember the score but it was big,the walk is long enough without having being beaten….

In a way the traditional grounds must somehow remain and host a game or two,only because a lot of history and heritage were from these grounds and they should be there for the young ones to understand where we come from.....it is sad but they will eventually go....I feel for Ink and his fellow friends and supporters because I'm old enough to remember Lidcombe Oval being an icon of the great Western Suburbs Magpies...very good memories of it as well....
Ink,don't dispear,I and others understand how you feel,but remember we can all unite under the one banner Wests Tigers...we are all brothers and sisters,like you we feel the pain as well....cheers brother.....

@innsaneink said:

Ink - i still find myself going to Lidcome Oval from time to time to relive the memories of yesteryear.

_Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3_

My one experience of Lidcombe Oval was watching the Magpies absolutely give it to the Tigers - 62-5! Stephen Knight smashed our centres to pieces. Glenn Capelin, the Tigers left winger scored the final try 3 minutes from the end, and some wag yelled out "C'mon Tigers, you can win it from here"! My old man loved it though! Shame he didn't get to see the new joint venture. His love for his mighty maggies was another reason I was O.K with the merger with Wests. Couldn't have stood it if we'd gone with Parra.

Lidcombe oval was my ground to.
Mum took me to my first ever game there as an 11yo in May 78 against Manly,that infamous game. We won that and all home matches that year and the minor premiership and got rorted out of a comp. The passion the realness of footy generally you really thought you had something. And it wasn"t just Wests it was all clubs the grounds the history, grounds and jumpers didn't change clubs "didn't" get kicked out and then the rorts the changes we and Newtown got kicked out etc.

Everything else was a hard act to follow from then on.

@2041 said:
- For about two or three games in either 2010 or 2011 there were a bunch of blokes who always stood near us, who pulled out brass instruments at some stage in the game. They only had three songs: Eye of the Tiger, Rocky's Training Theme and Tequila (aka "Fifita"). But a real laugh when the sun's out, you're winning and on the cans.

I remember those blokes playing some songs back at the Orange Grove after a game. The crowd was loving it, but they got kicked out after a while.

I was standing on the hill with my son the day that Robbie flattened Grub Watts, after that scrum blow up my son asked "when is the next scrum going to be" he loved it.

@AmericanHistoryX said:
@Geo. said:
Plenty of spots in Callum Park…

i remember that place also Geo - - it was taboo -

Hey X,is that where they make you wear funny jackets and have pads all over the wall..

The breeding ground for Rabbitoh supporters…

@TrueTiger said:
@AmericanHistoryX said:
@Geo. said:
Plenty of spots in Callum Park…

i remember that place also Geo - - it was taboo -

Hey X,is that where they make you wear funny jackets and have pads all over the wall..

The breeding ground for Rabbitoh supporters…

When I first started going to the footy as a kid we would always challenge each other to cut through Callan Park Mental Hospital.
There were stories about hearing screams and crazy people chasing after you - but I never heard or spotted anybody.
But, then I was running about a million miles an hour lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Back