Forward stocks look promising

swag_tiger

With our forwards of Aloaia, Clark, Matterson, Mikaele, Garner, Huth and Twal running the show i believe our forward stocks are looking very promising for the further. Don't know if there are any ones coming though the lower grades but maybe some people on here would know. Do you guys think our forward pack has shown potential?

Our forward pack is going great. I'd love another gun prop. Someone like Hass would be perfect.

MIddle forwards:- Aloiai, Mikaele & Matterson. These guys are potentially all great. Matterson is an outright star.
Edge fowards:- Garner, Chee-Kam & Lawrence. There is a lot of line breaking ability there.
Back-ups:- Clarke, Eisenhuth, Twal. They are all solid. They aren't top performers or potentially great but they are decent.

@Earl said in [Forward stocks look promising](/post/1043477) said:
Our forward pack is going great. I'd love another gun prop. Someone like Hass would be perfect.

MIddle forwards:- Aloiai, Mikaele & Matterson. These guys are potentially all great. Matterson is an outright star.
Edge fowards:- Garner, Chee-Kam & Lawrence. There is a lot of line breaking ability there.
Back-ups:- Clarke, Eisenhuth, Twal. They are all solid. They aren't top performers or potentially great but they are decent.

I am not overly happy with our edge forwards. Everyone here knows that I have huge raps on Garner, but Cheeks and Lawrence aren't topnotch in my opinion. Another edge forward and an angry prop, and I reckon we would be very competitive in the forwards.

@Earl
Twal isn’t a back up, he been plying off the bench due to rotation he is still considered one of our best

@yeti would love to get marsters into a backrow rotation at some stage. Think he adds something different and his footwork and size would cause heaps of problems closer to the middle. It would suit our gameplan of moving the ball around against the bigger packs. But garner and mck seem to suit this as well.

We just need some pace out wide, bc momo is a viable centre option but too slow for winger. Over the last few weeks we have created plenty of opportunities on his side but he always needs to cut back in due to lack of pace. Mybe at 1 and thompson back to the wing would potentially solve this but we have been there....

At least unlike in previous years we have some depth and flexibility. Everyone seems fit and confidence is growing.

We need a 120kg angry prop with a bit of leg speed. Apart from Aloiai there is not lot a pain potential.

@larry2005 said in [Forward stocks look promising](/post/1043487) said:
@yeti would love to get marsters into a backrow rotation at some stage. Think he adds something different and his footwork and size would cause heaps of problems closer to the middle. It would suit our gameplan of moving the ball around against the bigger packs. But garner and mck seem to suit this as well.

We just need some pace out wide, bc momo is a viable centre option but too slow for winger. Over the last few weeks we have created plenty of opportunities on his side but he always needs to cut back in due to lack of pace. Mybe at 1 and thompson back to the wing would potentially solve this but we have been there....

At least unlike in previous years we have some depth and flexibility. Everyone seems fit and confidence is growing.

Slightly off topic but you brought up the point Momo always comes back in because he is too slow.

Personally think that is for two reasons, one because he is not a winger but a centre and secondly if Mbye ran straight and drew his opposing centre and put the opposing winger in two minds or made him commit, Momo would have a lot more room. Mbye needs to straighten the attack like a good centre does. That is where the fault lies in my opinion.

Well ATM they have improved in showing up once in every 6th week til one in 3..

Magic 8 ball points to YES..

Didn't Marsters play U20's in the back row?

I reckon if we had a chance at signing a gun centre, you'd have to consider switching him to the back row - especially now that Lawrence's contract won't be renewed (i think this is correct :thinking_face: ).

Has the strength and speed to slot into Lawrences role for the team. Not convinced on the defence yet, but maybe defending one in, he'll be better.

@weststigers that is correct, he did play in the back row majority of his juniors growing up, and played centres a couple of times in state cup... then played for the Cook Islands as a centre and that’s how we ended up here. Would like to see him play in the back row.

A few weeks ago they weren’t up to first grade standard. Funny what a couple of wins does.

@GNR4LIFE I think the jury is still out and the next 5 weeks will give Madge and the rest of us, better idea as to where we are at with the forward stocks and what we need to improve the top 30 squad for next year.

@Russell said in [Forward stocks look promising](/post/1043492) said:

Slightly off topic but you brought up the point Momo always comes back in because he is too slow.

Personally think that is for two reasons, one because he is not a winger but a centre and secondly if Mbye ran straight and drew his opposing centre and put the opposing winger in two minds or made him commit, Momo would have a lot more room. Mbye needs to straighten the attack like a good centre does. That is where the fault lies in my opinion.

Yeah I agree about Mbye. He holds it up but it just looks like he’s putting a move on without actually trying to sell it so the defence keep right on sliding and all he does is cost Momirovski time and space. If he’s going to hold it up he needs to wait until he gets the defenders to bite.
I suspect Momorovski tracks in because he doesn’t want to get taken into touch & given the speed of the cover defence coming across (that Mbye doesn’t slow) his best bet is to cut in and wrong foot them anyway (like he did on Thursday).

@Nelson said in [Forward stocks look promising](/post/1043500) said:
@Russell said in [Forward stocks look promising](/post/1043492) said:

Yeah I agree about Mbye. He holds it up but it just looks like he’s putting a move on without actually trying to sell it so the defence keep right on sliding and all he does is cost Momirovski time and space. If he’s going to hold it up he needs to wait until he gets the defenders to bite.
I suspect Momorovski tracks in because he doesn’t want to get taken into touch & given the speed of the cover defence coming across (that Mbye doesn’t slow) his best bet is to cut in and wrong foot them anyway (like he did on Thursday).

Agree totally Nelson - feel sorry for wingers that have centres that crowd them.

@GNR4LIFE change of gameplan and different forward pack. Still not sold on mck...better on bench

@larry2005 gee we are quick to start saying are forwards stocks are looking good. when we can win 8- out of 10 games and be consistent then maybe people will be able to say yes we have good forwards. on are day yes we are good but we really need two very good props and another matterson type back rower. if we could sign some one like ese ese and a welch, and the young collins from the rooters. and jag a goal kicking outside back we would really have a good team.

Imo it’s the way madge has brought in Clarke and using the bench that has changed this pack from ordinary to goodish

@bptiger i think op is agreeing 'look promising' when a month ago we were readying for a total cleanout. But the die has been cast for et, packer, mats, lawrie, macqueen. If we can replace these with 3-4 genuine first graders we will be a legitimate finals team. I don't think we need to pay overs anymore for has-beens and potential....i can live following a team that contends and improves every week, given the mess cleary left the cap in.

@Jimmy said in [Forward stocks look promising](/post/1043509) said:
Imo it’s the way madge has brought in Clarke and using the bench that has changed this pack from ordinary to goodish

Pity though that Maguire didn't already realise how good starting him worked weeks back, when he brought Clarke in late to cover the ill Aloiai.

Back