Gus' idea about concentrating on South West Sydney

@ said:
Bring on the new stadium at Parramatta all games out of there ,Campbelltown is a mirage in the desert of Sydney..the preoccupation with juniors is a joke this is the responsibility of the NSWRL not a club .
The Weststigers are an inner city organisation get use to it they will never relocate to Campbelltown,the central position of Concord in the city is a huge bargaining tool to sell to perspective players ..if you live in Sydney you Know the problems and time it takes to commute around .
Why should our club be the training base for junior talent so other clubs can poach them when the time is right ,it is time our club got smart !
As I have already posted previously clubs will be culled in Sydney over the next decade and this will happen because there will not be enough money to support them the media free to air organisations are doing it tough now . You can not play permanently out of a sub standard stadium that Campbelltown offers ,I firmly believe that the opportunity of playing out of Parramatta stadium and hopefully a centre of excellence at Concord will cement the club for the future as I fear playing out of three grounds and having no permanent base will seal the fate of this club within a decade .Juniors …this thinking is thinking of the past time to move with the times ,PHIL Gould has an agenda he has put all his eggs in one basket and his comments reflect this maybe he should concentrate on his own club !

Agree with everything in this post.

rugby league is dying in MacArthur. Wests Tigers and the NRL are to blame. The AFL has moved in and now it is only a matter of time. Tv and greed have killed the goose.

@ said:
rugby league is dying in MacArthur. Wests Tigers and the NRL are to blame. The AFL has moved in and now it is only a matter of time. Tv and greed have killed the goose.

The NRL missed an opportunity to establish a new playing arena and training facility at Oran Park.

@ said:
So do Panthers have trouble attracting players based on the fact that they are a long way from Sydney?

I bet it's been a deciding factor for players on more than one occasion before.

@ said:

No I'd suggest whoever runs the juniors out there is to blame. It's a disaster.

@ said:
@ said:
Bring on the new stadium at Parramatta all games out of there ,Campbelltown is a mirage in the desert of Sydney..the preoccupation with juniors is a joke this is the responsibility of the NSWRL not a club .
The Weststigers are an inner city organisation get use to it they will never relocate to Campbelltown,the central position of Concord in the city is a huge bargaining tool to sell to perspective players ..if you live in Sydney you Know the problems and time it takes to commute around .
Why should our club be the training base for junior talent so other clubs can poach them when the time is right ,it is time our club got smart !
As I have already posted previously clubs will be culled in Sydney over the next decade and this will happen because there will not be enough money to support them the media free to air organisations are doing it tough now . You can not play permanently out of a sub standard stadium that Campbelltown offers ,I firmly believe that the opportunity of playing out of Parramatta stadium and hopefully a centre of excellence at Concord will cement the club for the future as I fear playing out of three grounds and having no permanent base will seal the fate of this club within a decade .Juniors …this thinking is thinking of the past time to move with the times ,PHIL Gould has an agenda he has put all his eggs in one basket and his comments reflect this maybe he should concentrate on his own club !

Agree with everything in this post.

With the cap and tpa's having created a gap between the have's and have nots in the nrl there is no incentive for clubs like weststigers to develop juniors, juniors that are pilfered by clubs like roorters, dogs storm sharks etc with no recompense at all to western sydney clubs
The nrl talk of level playing fields and an even competition when this is so far from reality its laughable
Meanwhile kids are turning more and more to oz rules and soccer in suppposed league heartlands
The horse has bolted nrl and the gate is closed

@ said:
Phil Gould said after the game on Friday night that the Tigers should abandon inner Sydney and put all their effort into SW Sydney, the growth area of Sydney.
I'm from the Balmain side of the JV, and it would not bother me if it's the best thing for the club.
I know this will open a can of worms, and will most probably fire up the forum.
Your thoughts.

Ive been saying that for years….we arent Balmain or Wests anymore....we need to concerntrate on one area...we could have done with someone like gus on board years ago instead of the muppets we have at the moment

I'm an old ex-Balmain guy and I used to think that Campbelltown was Wests Tigers future. I imagined it as a stand alone area for us to completely develop, juniors wise and home base wise as opposed to multiple home grounds.

These days you can't count on councils to build and maintain home stadiums, it's just too expensive. The state government has also committed to their own stadia plan all but abandoning the suburban grounds.

However, after Pascoes plan for a COE in the Concord area I now think that Campbelltown is a complete waste of time, effort and money. Yes, we are traditionally both former inner west clubs and so it seems, will remain that way forever.

Has anyone got an update on the COE? Is it wishful thinking still?
Somewhere I read our proposal was driving by Gladys Berejiklian with government support???

Found this on League unlimited.
I hope you are all aware that the Tigers submitted a blueprint to the state government (led by Gladys Berejiklian) to transform Concord Oval into a $57m centre of excellence. The new site would have a shopping centre, a Tigers museum and owuld be our main training base. So these outdated facilities will soon be a thing of the past. What an exciting time to be a Tigers fan!

If this is the case I think CQ is right you could almost guarantee that we will remain an inner west base.
But as many mentioned It appears the clubs plan is to become a strong Sydney club that recruits the Best players from anywhere available and develops them into first graders to play for Wests Tigers and doesn't want or care about focusing on 3 junior bases, (macarthur, Balmain/inner west and Keebra park.

@ said:
Has anyone got an update on the COE? Is it wishful thinking still?
Somewhere I read our proposal was driving by Gladys Berejiklian with government support???

Found this on League unlimited.
I hope you are all aware that the Tigers submitted a blueprint to the state government (led by Gladys Berejiklian) to transform Concord Oval into a $57m centre of excellence. The new site would have a shopping centre, a Tigers museum and owuld be our main training base. So these outdated facilities will soon be a thing of the past. What an exciting time to be a Tigers fan!

If this is the case I think CQ is right you could almost guarantee that we will remain an inner west base.
But as many mentioned It appears the clubs plan is to become a strong Sydney club that recruits the Best players from anywhere available and develops them into first graders to play for Wests Tigers and doesn't want or care about focusing on 3 junior bases, (macarthur, Balmain/inner west and Keebra park.

Well Keebra Park is already gone and the way our U20s are performing i don't think there is too much effort being put in to development in the other 2 areas. Is it possible that with the upcoming demise of U20s, WT have made a decision to overhaul their whole on field department. Cut back on junior development, attempting to appease the Macarthur region by having the magpies as the ISP next year with Wests Ashfield predominantly looking after WT and Wests Campbelltown looking after the magpies. I don't know but it just seems that way to me. As for playing out of Campbelltown i see no problem having it as a home ground and still having all your training and administration facilities at Concord. That way all these latte drinking stars that we will supposedly miss out on will only have to travel to campbelltown a maximum 12 times a year.

Was thinking the same re the Magpies and the ISP I wonder though if our 18-30 players will be stuck playing at Campbelltown in the same team or we will look at more than the one feeder club to help develop our depth.
The other thing is if they are managed by a different entity would the full first grade squad all be training together?

We have four players, a fullback, utility half, half and hooker selected in the MCC side to compete in the Schoolboys carnival. All are from Holy Cross Ryde and Balmain SG Ball. Alex Seyfarth played NSW U18s and is from Balmain SG Ball so there is some junior development happening. However, we do need external recruits from QLD and NZ.

As a club identity our clubs emerged 2000 and in that time stuff all has really been done to grow the club in the Macarthur district and that in its self is a real shame on both parts.the Macarthur region will be home to 500000 people by 2036 and with Stage 1 of the Airport expected to be complete in 2026 i belive there is more than one reason why the West Tigers should not give up on this area.

Within the Campbelltown district and Camden area there are active people from Souths, Roosters,Bulldogs,Storm looking at our Juniors why has our board allowed this to happen over the last 12yrs without doing anything concrete to stem it at least.And i believ this happens also in the Balmain area as well.

@ said:
Was thinking the same re the Magpies and the ISP I wonder though if our 18-30 players will be stuck playing at Campbelltown in the same team or we will look at more than the one feeder club to help develop our depth.
The other thing is if they are managed by a different entity would the full first grade squad all be training together?

I would imagine the squad of 30 will always train together - on game day 18 - 30 will play for which ever feeder clubs we have. From what i understand next year the ISP team and the U20s play at the same ground and same day so it would be an option to have them play all home games at Campbelltown and NRL to continue with whats in place now.

And so it begins tomorrow in the telegraph….rothfield writes one Sydney team has to go...no guesses as to who it will be if and when it happens.

The sooner NRL Franchises realise they are the Big Show and stop wasting money on specific junior development areas or non-relevant competitions based on Traditions, the sooner they will flourish. History and Traditions simply cloud the game from growing at the elite level. Those areas are for the CRL, NSWRL & QRL to operate and run like they have since 1908.

We need more franchises operating like the Melbourne Model. They are a franchise operating in one of the least RL areas, but are the most successful club over the past 15 years. Yes there talent is grown and nurtured within the regions they are playing junior football, but they use the whole of NSW and Queensland, plus other state competitions as their 'Development Area'.

I suppose they see themselves as a National Franchise, instead of a Local Team?!

@ said:
And so it begins tomorrow in the telegraph….rothfield writes one Sydney team has to go...no guesses as to who it will be if and when it happens.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/phil-rothfield/sydney-cant-continue-to-support-nine-nrl-clubs-one-of-them-has-to-go/news-story/acc75bc3829727275d6645b8bd3e1d69

Here is the article for what its worth - and my comment to Slothfield.

How about you get your facts straight - Wests Tigers never borrowed money from the NRL - the loan was to Balmain to cover their share of the JV costs - Wests Ashfield had previously offered to cover Balmains costs but they refused and took the loan from the NRL. When they were unable to repay the loan Wests Ashfield covered the debt with the NRL hence getting 100% ownership of Wests Tigers - Wests Ashfield magnanimously gave Balmain a 25% share but no voting rights. But hey Phil why let facts get in the way of your papers weekly Wests Tigers bashing.

What a surprise.. Slothfield nominates the Tigers to go. I nominate the sharks to move out of Sydney.

Back