Halves

It's not their responsibility to direct the play in the opposition 20 which we have ample of, it's Brooks. It's also Brooks responsibility to do the kicking, at least I thought it was seeing as how he is a 10 year veteran, but 90 percent of that was left to Wakeham who is in and out of reserve grade. He is a cat, he's been ducking his responsibilities to this team for years, if it wasn't for the Tigers he never would have played 100 games let alone 10 years of N.R.L. No other club would have put up with his uselessness. He is an absolute passenger.
He’s not a controlling 7 never has been and never will be, so it’s a mystery as to why every coach we have seems ti want him ti be the type of player his is not.
Ball running off the back of structured play is his only real strength, much more suited ti a 6 in the modern day game.
I believe with a classy 7 and 1 LB could fill the blanks as a 6, but Wakeham and Laurie could do that equally as well for a tenth of the price.

That's probably right but there's bugger all good halves in the comp right now. You keep the decent ones you have. Hastings is above average , Brooks is below average in my opinion.
It's like the coach, you sack him if you have a better one lined up.
We replaced Hastings with Wakeham and Madge with a bunch of [This word has been automatically removed]tards.
Accurate

Our halves have halve a brain
🧠😂

Brooks is an athlete but couldn't ice a cupcake!

Wakeham should be aiming to play hooker elsewhere long-term and use Jeremy Marshall-King as his inspiration and role model to get there the hard way

AND the fake footballer Doueihi has a frontal lobotomy issue (and scarily his body is more broken than his meagre brain)!

Doueihi is a 12 point handicap by himself - hence we lost by 6 without him (with a 4 point moron Ranga Ref handicap)!

Jahream at fullback is a keeper - showed more on debut than Daine or Doueihi have even shown!!

The 'problem' at the Tigers goes beyond any one individual player. The consistent drone of Brooks-bashing is completely overlooking some of the other glaring needs- some mentioned in here, and some actually backing up things Tim Sheens has been saying.

Firstly- this "Hastings would have us winning 4 games" narrative is pure speculation. When he was with the Tigers, he did a lot of pointing, yelling, interviewing & talking up the playing group. He also did a lot of losing. And he's slow, can't kick & has a history of not fitting any team's plans long term. Hastings was a flier that Madge took because he didn't have players to direct his team around the park. Luke Brooks is the more talented player, but is playing dumb. Wakeham is a back-up & should be treated as such when discussing the issues the club faces. Doueihi is the most 'talented' player in the halves, but he's an athletic player, not an organiser, and probably a bad fit with Brooks (somewhat similar in that they are both not organisers). We can only hope that Laurie can show something as a 5/8 or Halfback. But he's going to need time.

For those saying that Sheens didn't realise we had an issue at 6/7, as has been brought up, he chased HARD for both Moses & Munster, and has obviously reached out to Mitchell Pearce. All off-season there were rumours that Sheens was chasing George Williams. Sheens has only recently said that he is looking for an 'experienced half'. This tells me that the coaches are well aware we are short in the halves.

As some have briefly touched on, we also lack any real 'difference makers' at 1 through to 5, although Bula looked decent in game 1. To'a, Naden, Staines, Tupou, Talau, Kepeoa & Nofa....are all decent players. But certainly not players that the opposition defence slide an extra defender over for. Young Feledy in reserves looks like he might be decent. What we have is young, developing centres, wingers & fullbacks. None that are recognised as star players, and maybe none likely to be star players. But with the heavy investment in forwards last off season, the coaches clearly wanted to see who, if any, of these guys stood up. Seems likely that Tupou & Bula are going to become long term options, and potentially good players. Will any of the others develop? Maybe. But I'd suggest that there might be more investment in these areas next off season.

My biggest question regarding the off season is why did they let Jock Madden go so easily? Of all the players that 'might' have made a difference to our fortunes, I think he might have been the one to actually advance us further. Not saying he's going to be great, but when you see the Sean O'Sullivan's of the world succeeding, or the sudden desire to sign untested players like Volkman etc, surely the safer & more obvious solution was giving Madden a shot?

Some of the suggested "solutions" that will 'definately mean we won 4 games this year' such as Connor Tracey, Trindall etc..... these guys are reserve grade players. You can't guarentee anything with them. That said, Trindall in particular, is neither an organising player, or a particularly good general field kicker of the ball. I'd be willing to look at Daine Laurie and argue the talent is not that different.

I know some people laugh at Kurt Falls, but he actually fits the 'style' required a lot better. Personally, I like Blake Taafe, stuck behind 2 outstanding players in Latrell & Cody as well as behind Ilias. He's unlikely to be in First grade any time soon at Souths & he plays that direct attack better than what we have. Combine him with a player like Falls, Laurie or even an Aiden Sezar & you probably get 'effective' play from your halves. MAYBE....Luke Brooks. Maybe.

I realise this is a long post, but what this says to me is...this is a long-term fix. 5 year plan, etc. When you are the last pup at the food bowl, you have to search through the scraps. That's where the Tigers are right now. Best thing to do is lock up the good talent, sift through players every year, and develop the young players.

The 'problem' at the Tigers goes beyond any one individual player. The consistent drone of Brooks-bashing is completely overlooking some of the other glaring needs- some mentioned in here, and some actually backing up things Tim Sheens has been saying.

Firstly- this "Hastings would have us winning 4 games" narrative is pure speculation. When he was with the Tigers, he did a lot of pointing, yelling, interviewing & talking up the playing group. He also did a lot of losing. And he's slow, can't kick & has a history of not fitting any team's plans long term. Hastings was a flier that Madge took because he didn't have players to direct his team around the park. Luke Brooks is the more talented player, but is playing dumb. Wakeham is a back-up & should be treated as such when discussing the issues the club faces. Doueihi is the most 'talented' player in the halves, but he's an athletic player, not an organiser, and probably a bad fit with Brooks (somewhat similar in that they are both not organisers). We can only hope that Laurie can show something as a 5/8 or Halfback. But he's going to need time.

For those saying that Sheens didn't realise we had an issue at 6/7, as has been brought up, he chased HARD for both Moses & Munster, and has obviously reached out to Mitchell Pearce. All off-season there were rumours that Sheens was chasing George Williams. Sheens has only recently said that he is looking for an 'experienced half'. This tells me that the coaches are well aware we are short in the halves.

As some have briefly touched on, we also lack any real 'difference makers' at 1 through to 5, although Bula looked decent in game 1. To'a, Naden, Staines, Tupou, Talau, Kepeoa & Nofa....are all decent players. But certainly not players that the opposition defence slide an extra defender over for. Young Feledy in reserves looks like he might be decent. What we have is young, developing centres, wingers & fullbacks. None that are recognised as star players, and maybe none likely to be star players. But with the heavy investment in forwards last off season, the coaches clearly wanted to see who, if any, of these guys stood up. Seems likely that Tupou & Bula are going to become long term options, and potentially good players. Will any of the others develop? Maybe. But I'd suggest that there might be more investment in these areas next off season.

My biggest question regarding the off season is why did they let Jock Madden go so easily? Of all the players that 'might' have made a difference to our fortunes, I think he might have been the one to actually advance us further. Not saying he's going to be great, but when you see the Sean O'Sullivan's of the world succeeding, or the sudden desire to sign untested players like Volkman etc, surely the safer & more obvious solution was giving Madden a shot?

Some of the suggested "solutions" that will 'definately mean we won 4 games this year' such as Connor Tracey, Trindall etc..... these guys are reserve grade players. You can't guarentee anything with them. That said, Trindall in particular, is neither an organising player, or a particularly good general field kicker of the ball. I'd be willing to look at Daine Laurie and argue the talent is not that different.

I know some people laugh at Kurt Falls, but he actually fits the 'style' required a lot better. Personally, I like Blake Taafe, stuck behind 2 outstanding players in Latrell & Cody as well as behind Ilias. He's unlikely to be in First grade any time soon at Souths & he plays that direct attack better than what we have. Combine him with a player like Falls, Laurie or even an Aiden Sezar & you probably get 'effective' play from your halves. MAYBE....Luke Brooks. Maybe.

I realise this is a long post, but what this says to me is...this is a long-term fix. 5 year plan, etc. When you are the last pup at the food bowl, you have to search through the scraps. That's where the Tigers are right now. Best thing to do is lock up the good talent, sift through players every year, and develop the young players.
Great post mate 👍

Brooks is an athlete but couldn't ice a cupcake!

Wakeham should be aiming to play hooker elsewhere long-term and use Jeremy Marshall-King as his inspiration and role model to get there the hard way

AND the fake footballer Doueihi has a frontal lobotomy issue (and scarily his body is more broken than his meagre brain)!

Doueihi is a 12 point handicap by himself - hence we lost by 6 without him (with a 4 point moron Ranga Ref handicap)!

Jahream at fullback is a keeper - showed more on debut than Daine or Doueihi have even shown!!
Cup Cake the ranga ref is doing a fine job ,thank you very much

sorryto throw your words back at you,BUT,Brookes is talented but plays dumb,thats why the camp is split,does it look like he has honed his skills from his debut,which was by far his best game ever.Im dumbfounded also why they let Madden go,

sorryto throw your words back at you,BUT,Brookes is talented but plays dumb,thats why the camp is split,does it look like he has honed his skills from his debut,which was by far his best game ever.Im dumbfounded also why they let Madden go,
I'm not defending Brooks. Just saying he's a more talented player than Hastings. Something has gone wildly wrong in his development. Not sure who you point the finger at, but for such a talented player, there has been a serious breakdown in his teaching. I'm not sure if it's the end of the line for him or not, but I think he's hit a brick wall that he currently cannot work around.

At this stage, Kyle Flanagan is a better #7.

I'm not defending Brooks. Just saying he's a more talented player than Hastings. Something has gone wildly wrong in his development. Not sure who you point the finger at, but for such a talented player, there has been a serious breakdown in his teaching. I'm not sure if it's the end of the line for him or not, but I think he's hit a brick wall that he currently cannot work around.

what would you rather have,wasted pedigree,or a mongrel dog with fight beside you,i just think Brookes never achieved his dreams or had the talent to see him past combined high school knock outs,yet we hitched our wagon to him,o well,next year hopefully ,but not here

I hate to rave on about our loss today ...it being 0/7 as it stands for 2023,but lets look at it from an honest view point...we did play much better than the previous 6 games from the perspective that the team was playing as a unit,having said that our new recruits were also responsible for the loss NOT just Brooks ,although he seems to lack any football knowledge that a 7 should be capable of at this level for the amount of years he has been given at this club.however,I noticed that my main man Bateman made some dumb errors for a guy of his experience,and the young guys like Topau on the wing caved under pressure a couple of times because he is still learning ,Bula will be a demon at the back in years to come ...So my main point of arguement is,if we find a decent 7 to LEAD this team around for say 4 years then the finals will be a lot closer than we are atm...
The experienced guys will eventually teach the youth what NRL is all about,they will eventually combine to be a very good outfit with a yearning for victory and a lift up from doom and gloom to a stable threat week in week out...
I really dont care anymore,Im worn out after years of garbage,not just from the team but mainly from the club directors and football want to bes...
I wanted to attend the Ambush today,but I had to work to about 2am this morning and didnt make it.but my support for Cochise wont wane,I think his work is terrific and will eventually gain some well deserved accolades...
I will continue to support the WTs as long as I have to,I just wont be as excited when game time comes around,there are far more important things in life than worrying about a sport that I love and have played only to be disheartened week in week out.
I wish all of you diehard WTs members,supporters and fans the very best this year,I work in hospitality,a popular hotel in the Southern Highlands and I keep getting shit from other teams fans week in week out and I just dont need the crap because our great club cant get their act together...When the nepotism and jobs for the boys is eradicated and the place becomes a professional organisation I may become interested again,but until then best of luck you champion forum members...

I agree with much of what you say, especially about Madden. Behind our improved pack, he might have excelled this year. Yes, we have to pick up the scraps but I don't agree about Tracey being a reserve grader. I think he's a first grader stuck in the queue behind the incumbents and I'd stick him straight into five eighth. I saw Laurie in KOE Cup yesterday and he was handy in the halves but nowhere near ready to be our first grade saviour.

As mentioned in another thread.

Successful sports teams pay their Game Winners the big bucks.

Without a great quarterback,u ain't winning many games.

Our million dollar player can't make decisions and doesn't deserve to be resigned even on half the price.

He’s not a controlling 7 never has been and never will be, so it’s a mystery as to why every coach we have seems ti want him ti be the type of player his is not.
Ball running off the back of structured play is his only real strength, much more suited ti a 6 in the modern day game.
I believe with a classy 7 and 1 LB could fill the blanks as a 6, but Wakeham and Laurie could do that equally as well for a tenth of the price.
I've thought about this and I seriously believe he is being protected by someone on the board. I can't believe that several coaches could not see what has been pretty obvious for a while now.

With Jock, he was off contract and would of only stayed if guaranteed a spot.

He been with squad for ages and was happy to learn off other players.

Keep an eye on Jock this week will most likely be playing

I've seen some more ridiculous calls in this thread...

"Move Api to 7 and Brooks to 6"
Are you aware we've made changes to accommodate Brooks every year and none of them made any difference? We're just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. Luke Brooks has steered this ship into the ice berg and the sinking continues.

"Luke Brooks played awesome!"
The commentators didn't think so.
Luke Brooks is a passenger for the majority of the game then finally decides to do something and messes it up. The halves were not involved last night and Luke Brooks definitely didn't play awesome.

"Jackson Hastings isn't doing much better in Newcastle"
results speak for themselves. They have wins on the board. They really challenged Penrith and it went down to golden point - wonder how we will go against them next week 😂😂

Moses did an interview recently where he reflected upon his and Luke’s playing relationship over the years. In it he admitted he did most of the heavy lifting and Luke played eyes up.
Our club tried to change a Cheetah into a Lion. A lot of fans have been saying this for nearly a decade now.
GET HIM A CONTROLLING HALFBACK TO PLAY ALONGSIDE!

Laurie has to be in for Wakeham who is not NRL level. Sheens is so stubborn & obviously does not want Laurie at the club anymore like he did not want Hastings there once Jackson challenged him to be halfback & not a lock he was our best option in the halves by far & the media should give it to Sheens for that reason.

what would you rather have,wasted pedigree,or a mongrel dog with fight beside you,i just think Brookes never achieved his dreams or had the talent to see him past combined high school knock outs,yet we hitched our wagon to him,o well,next year hopefully ,but not here
Hastings is yet to be anyone's long term answer at #7. Mongrel dog or not, why has every team moved him on so quickly?

Back