Human diet + lifestyle

Can you explain more?
The test covers an extensive 92 genes, and 113 SNP’s across the following categories:

• Digestion
  • Energy
  • Hormones
  • Stress & Cognitive Performance
  • Inflammation
  • Athletic Performance
  • DNA Protection & Repair
  • Detoxification
Is Detoxification real? Are you just saying "scan for Genetic weaknesses" aka are you Mongrel Blood!
The body's ability to produce and extract certain nutrients will vary from person to person. This test will give you a road map of sorts to see where you can supplement to make up for your individual weaknesses.

Right now, a supplement is advertised as simply "good for you" with no context. If you are not deficient in that nutrient, then it is not required...rather than supplementation being a crapshoot, you can identify where you will get a pay off through supplementation.

Diet and nutrition should be first investigated as a solution before pharmaceuticals. Particularly with things like depression and anxiety.

Scrolling through this it seems my beer and pizza diet may be doing me no good... but who cares?
Was in the Czech republic many moons ago and my breakfast was beer and pizza for 6 weeks after lifting in the gym for the 3 previous years and being very strict on my diet another like beer for breakfast

Of course, there is nothing "wrong" with keto/gloconeogenisis but as an adjunct. the easiest, safest and lowest cost (metabolically) pathway is carbohydrate->ATP->ADP->Glucose, remembering that my initial point that Odessa pushed back on was that someone says you should avoid carbohydrate because "your body converts it to sugar" is ridiculous. Its a critical part of mitochondrial energy production which impacts literally every process in your body. You NEED carbohydrate.

Also deposits more fat in the liver for future keto...so win/win.
Yeh, good stuff. That nonsense needs more pushback.

Odessa has given an extreme (all meat) and so have you (all carbs), but in my humble opinion, from trying these extremes myself and having access to multiple doctors and tests, I've been able to come to the following conclusions:

1. We must first make a clear distinction between overall health and weight loss. For example, you could have 2 people at a perfect weight, but they're bloodwork can look very different based on diet. I do think an all meat diet would show an overall healthier person.

2. Weight loss will always be calories in vs calories out. It doesn't really matter what you eat per se.

3. Carnivore helps people lose weight simply because protein and fat keeps you feeling full and fat as the energy source burns slower and doesnt spike your insulin. It's actually very difficult to eat more than twice per day on a Carnivore diet. Ypu simply dont feel hubgry. Secondly, because you are not eating carbs, your glycogen stores are depleted, thus losing a huge amount of water weight. Carnivore is really for people with auto immune issues where they eliminate everything from their diet and slowly add back to see what is making them ill. It's not really necessary to be this extreme. What is true, however, is that excess sugar or carbs will make a diet almost Impossible to follow because you will fell hungry all the time.

4. Eating carbs alone will probably make you feel bloated and hungry all the time. They are addictive, much like sugar. Carbs are quickly converted to glucose by the body followed by an insulin spike to try and deal with the blood sugar. Weight aside, you will probably get diabetes if you eat in this way. Carbs are also converted to fat very quickly compared with fat and protein.

5. In my experience, Carnivore was fantastic for the first 3 or 4 months and I did lose a lot of weight (around 10kg in the first 2 months) that I was able to maintain. Bloods were very impressive too. I found after this I generally felt quite flat and moody. I always struggled to eat enough fat with that diet which is likely the reason for the low energy. Depending on how active one is, adding a small amount of carbs will help balance that out because the brain ultimately needs glucose, so I added 100-200g carbs per day and felt a lot better without jeopardising weight.

The answer, in my experience, is a balance between a diet that is practical and sustainable and one that hits the right health markers. Adding a small amount of carbs allows flexibility at say a friends birthday dinner, where you might all go out to a Chinese restaurant and everything is covered in sauce. You can skip the rice or have a small portion and focus of the vegetables and meat despite there being some carbs and sugars in the mix.

if you don't have a plan on how you'll execute your diet in a variety of situations, you'll fail for sure. This is probably the thing that diet gurus leave out the most. For example, you wake up late and have to go to work, so you've got no time to cook your eggs in the morning. Where everyone else is reaching for a muesli bar or a bacon and egg roll or Maccas breakfast drive thru, what are you going to eat in that scenario? This is where a lot of people fall off the wagon simply because it becomes hard to comply due to lack of thought and planning.
Good post mate.

The answer, in my experience, is a balance between a diet that is practical and sustainable and one that hits the right health markers.
This is the answer my friend.

Diet culture is a great example of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Lots of bad actors both in the manosphere and veganism providing part truths and poor research to serve agendas. "Diets" unless they are balanced and sustainable do not work. A common sense approach looking at health holistically is needed.

The culture of obsession with extreme diets actually does much more harm than good. It isnt even helpful to be assigning "good" and "bad" labels to food.

Last edited:
This is the answer my friend.

Diet culture is a great example of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Lots of bad actors both in the manosphere and veganism providing part truths and poor research to serve agendas. "Diets" unless they are balanced and sustainable do not work. A common sense approach looking at health holistically is needed.

The culture of obsession with extreme diets actually does much more harm than good. It isnt even helpful to be assigning "good" and "bad" labels to food.
It's a good point. On a basic level, I think it's important that fatties understand how many calories are in the foods they eat. Most would be shocked at how many calories they consume. This really is a basic foundation of anyone's weight loss journey. It just helps keep you aware.

It's a good point. On a basic level, I think it's important that fatties understand how many calories are in the foods they eat. Most would be shocked at how many calories they consume. This really is a basic foundation of anyone's weight loss journey. It just helps keep you aware.

I've seen these videos and he is correct and I don't doubt that some calories are better than others, but these people make very nuanced points that don't disprove the basic understanding of calories in vs calories out. You are just looking for a rough idea. Some guys are consuming 3500+ calories a day...even adding in the nuance in this video, that is objectively too much for a sedentary person.

For a fatty that's trying to lose weight and is facing a mental mountain to even get started, I find it's best to try to keep it simple. The nuance and research part comes later as people start to get results and want to optimise their progress, but there's no doubt a guy who has been eating crap for years will benefit from understanding exactly how many calories they are eating and making adjustments to better choices without overwhelming them.

Weight loss is more a mental battle...the theories are all out there. The real challenge is in the mind. Putting this video in front of a 150kg bloke will just serve to overwhelm them into eating another bowl of ice cream. A bloke who is dialled into his health will take something from this and apply it, but at that point, they are probably not in bad shape anyway.

My comments are really aimed at guys that haven't looked after themselves in years and I try to focus on small, permanent changes that compound over time.

In its simplest form, if you eat whole, unprocessed foods, you'll be pretty good to go, but that seems to be quite difficult for people, particularly those that have busy lifestyles.

I live in Thailand...hardly anyone is overweight here. Why? The local dishes are basically home made food, there's not a McDonalds drive thru on every corner and they walk everywhere. Go to Philippines and everyone is a big fatty, because the American fast food diet is well and truly entrenched there. Australia has the same problem...cook your own food from raw ingredients and you probably won't need to count calories.

Odessa has given an extreme (all meat) and so have you (all carbs), but in my humble opinion, from trying these extremes myself and having access to multiple doctors and tests, I've been able to come to the following conclusions:

1. We must first make a clear distinction between overall health and weight loss. For example, you could have 2 people at a perfect weight, but they're bloodwork can look very different based on diet. I do think an all meat diet would show an overall healthier person.

2. Weight loss will always be calories in vs calories out. It doesn't really matter what you eat per se.

3. Carnivore helps people lose weight simply because protein and fat keeps you feeling full and fat as the energy source burns slower and doesnt spike your insulin. It's actually very difficult to eat more than twice per day on a Carnivore diet. Ypu simply dont feel hubgry. Secondly, because you are not eating carbs, your glycogen stores are depleted, thus losing a huge amount of water weight. Carnivore is really for people with auto immune issues where they eliminate everything from their diet and slowly add back to see what is making them ill. It's not really necessary to be this extreme. What is true, however, is that excess sugar or carbs will make a diet almost Impossible to follow because you will fell hungry all the time.

4. Eating carbs alone will probably make you feel bloated and hungry all the time. They are addictive, much like sugar. Carbs are quickly converted to glucose by the body followed by an insulin spike to try and deal with the blood sugar. Weight aside, you will probably get diabetes if you eat in this way. Carbs are also converted to fat very quickly compared with fat and protein.

5. In my experience, Carnivore was fantastic for the first 3 or 4 months and I did lose a lot of weight (around 10kg in the first 2 months) that I was able to maintain. Bloods were very impressive too. I found after this I generally felt quite flat and moody. I always struggled to eat enough fat with that diet which is likely the reason for the low energy. Depending on how active one is, adding a small amount of carbs will help balance that out because the brain ultimately needs glucose, so I added 100-200g carbs per day and felt a lot better without jeopardising weight.

The answer, in my experience, is a balance between a diet that is practical and sustainable and one that hits the right health markers. Adding a small amount of carbs allows flexibility at say a friends birthday dinner, where you might all go out to a Chinese restaurant and everything is covered in sauce. You can skip the rice or have a small portion and focus of the vegetables and meat despite there being some carbs and sugars in the mix.

if you don't have a plan on how you'll execute your diet in a variety of situations, you'll fail for sure. This is probably the thing that diet gurus leave out the most. For example, you wake up late and have to go to work, so you've got no time to cook your eggs in the morning. Where everyone else is reaching for a muesli bar or a bacon and egg roll or Maccas breakfast drive thru, what are you going to eat in that scenario? This is where a lot of people fall off the wagon simply because it becomes hard to comply due to lack of thought and planning.
Great post
I’m looking at reducing my carb intake as I’m 115kegs
Just looking into meals and planning. Do you have any suggestions of places to look for ideas

Back