Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

what pr spin. he could of coached his kid here. just greed. there are no values left in society. everyone should ring the club and let them know of your displeasure

@ said:
If Ivan goes can we stop signing plodders.

If Ivan goes, We will be luck to sign Plodders.

and I am lost to the game of NRL

From the Australian

Off the bus? Ivan Cleary in danger of sacrificing integrity in Penrith Panthers return
Ivan Cleary, centre, could be lured back to Penrith by Panthers supremo Phil Gould, left, to coach his son Nathan, right.
Ivan Cleary, centre, could be lured back to Penrith by Panthers supremo Phil Gould, left, to coach his son Nathan, right.
BRENT READ
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
55 MINUTES AGO AUGUST 7, 20181 COMMENT
Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has always appeared a man of integrity. Many would suggest his career and reputation have been built on that very quality.

It certainly hasn’t been built on results given his winning percentage is less than 50 per cent. How then, can Cleary even countenance a return to Penrith?

Never mind the fact that the Panthers, or more particularly head of football Phil Gould, axed him as coach three years ago.

READ NEXT

Helicopter search abandoned
ROBYN IRONSIDE
More prevalently, what about the two years he has remaining on his contract with the Tigers. Or his recent comments that he loves the club.

Or the players he brought to the Tigers on the promise that he was building something special. What is Ben Matulino supposed to think this morning?

Matulino packed up his family and brought them across the Tasman for the opportunity to play under Cleary. It was a difficult call, one the Kiwi prop wrestled over.

He only ever imagined playing at the New Zealand Warriors but he was sold on Cleary’s vision. As Cleary famously said when appointed coach of the Tigers, he wanted people who were on the bus.

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary, centre, during training. Picture: AAP
Matulino was on the bus. So was Russell Packer, who was poached from St George Illawarra. Packer would be in line to win a premiership had he stayed at the Dragons. He wanted to win one with Cleary.

Suddenly and dramatically, the bus is in danger of veering off course. The Panthers have been in secret talks with Cleary for some time. Not a matter of days, but weeks.

They want to lure him back to take charge of a side many believe is ripe to win a premiership. The sense is that Cleary is being blinded by the prospect of coaching his son Nathan.

The pair have made no secret of their desire to work together. Last week, there were strong suggestions it would be at the Tigers.

The Tigers have certainly bent over backwards to ensure it happens. They have given Cleary carte blanche to do what it takes to get his son. The message has been offer him as much as you want and we’ll make it work.

Yet, Penrith have made a play which would have repercussions for both of them. Should Ivan pack up and go, Nathan would certainly stay.

Both clubs have much to lose. So too some of the game’s biggest names. Gould has sacked his third coach, the latest a million-dollar payout to Anthony Griffin.

He was asked this morning whether he should be under review. He said that would be up to the board but the sense is that Gould answers to no-one.

Penrith Panthers general manager Phil Gould. Picture: AAP
He runs his own race. Invariably, that race has involved change. Gould is a player. He is strikes you as the sort of individual who needs to be constantly making moves.

Expense is clearly no concern. The Panthers have money to burn. They will need it if they want to sign Cleary. The Tigers are ready to dig in their heels and so they should. Cleary can play the family card.

He can talk about wanting to coach his son Nathan, a star at Penrith. But surely that can wait. Cleary is yet to turn 21\. At the very least, he has another decade in the game.

We all know how this game usually plays out. The current club digs in their heels and says their coach is going nowhere. The coach makes it clear he wants to go.

The current club eventually relents, taking some form of compensation. This time could be different. The Tigers are in no mood to be pushed around.

They hold the whip hand. Cleary knows it too. He was told in no uncertain terms last night that the Tigers had no plans to let him go.

No doubt, the Panthers can offer Cleary plenty of money. They can also offer him the opportunity to coach his son. But what price your integrity?

@ said:
Regardless of the outcome, I am seriously pi55ed that another club like Penrith just waltzes in and entices someone to break a contract, especially the coach.

That is the lowest of low in my book.

Payback is a …..

@ said:
From the Australian

Off the bus? Ivan Cleary in danger of sacrificing integrity in Penrith Panthers return
BRENT READ
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
55 MINUTES AGO AUGUST 7, 20181 COMMENT
Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has always appeared a man of integrity. Many would suggest his career and reputation have been built on that very quality.

It certainly hasn’t been built on results given his winning percentage is less than 50 per cent. How then, can Cleary even countenance a return to Penrith?

Never mind the fact that the Panthers, or more particularly head of football Phil Gould, axed him as coach three years ago.

READ NEXT

Helicopter search abandoned
ROBYN IRONSIDE
More prevalently, what about the two years he has remaining on his contract with the Tigers. Or his recent comments that he loves the club.

Or the players he brought to the Tigers on the promise that he was building something special. What is Ben Matulino supposed to think this morning?

Matulino packed up his family and brought them across the Tasman for the opportunity to play under Cleary. It was a difficult call, one the Kiwi prop wrestled over.

He only ever imagined playing at the New Zealand Warriors but he was sold on Cleary’s vision. As Cleary famously said when appointed coach of the Tigers, he wanted people who were on the bus.

Matulino was on the bus. So was Russell Packer, who was poached from St George Illawarra. Packer would be in line to win a premiership had he stayed at the Dragons. He wanted to win one with Cleary.

Suddenly and dramatically, the bus is in danger of veering off course. The Panthers have been in secret talks with Cleary for some time. Not a matter of days, but weeks.

They want to lure him back to take charge of a side many believe is ripe to win a premiership. The sense is that Cleary is being blinded by the prospect of coaching his son Nathan.

The pair have made no secret of their desire to work together. Last week, there were strong suggestions it would be at the Tigers.

The Tigers have certainly bent over backwards to ensure it happens. They have given Cleary carte blanche to do what it takes to get his son. The message has been offer him as much as you want and we’ll make it work.

Yet, Penrith have made a play which would have repercussions for both of them. Should Ivan pack up and go, Nathan would certainly stay.

Both clubs have much to lose. So too some of the game’s biggest names. Gould has sacked his third coach, the latest a million-dollar payout to Anthony Griffin.

He was asked this morning whether he should be under review. He said that would be up to the board but the sense is that Gould answers to no-one.

He runs his own race. Invariably, that race has involved change. Gould is a player. He is strikes you as the sort of individual who needs to be constantly making moves.

Expense is clearly no concern. The Panthers have money to burn. They will need it if they want to sign Cleary. The Tigers are ready to dig in their heels and so they should. Cleary can play the family card.

He can talk about wanting to coach his son Nathan, a star at Penrith. But surely that can wait. Cleary is yet to turn 21\. At the very least, he has another decade in the game.

We all know how this game usually plays out. The current club digs in their heels and says their coach is going nowhere. The coach makes it clear he wants to go.

The current club eventually relents, taking some form of compensation. This time could be different. The Tigers are in no mood to be pushed around.

They hold the whip hand. Cleary knows it too. He was told in no uncertain terms last night that the Tigers had no plans to let him go.

No doubt, the Panthers can offer Cleary plenty of money. They can also offer him the opportunity to coach his son. But what price your integrity?

Sounds like Marina is really worried, to run an article like this

Interesting from Brent Read, quite a pro-Tigers and questioning Ivan's integrity.

My other question right now is, sure Panthers might offer Cleary a 4-year deal. But what are the chances of actually seeing that deal out, considering the last 2 Penrith coaches were axed a few seasons from end?

Might end up actually being a 2-year deal.

Could you imagine for a minute, Ivan going back to Penrith, things not working out… how would they spin it then? Imagine Nathan is the long-term NSW halfback and Gould decides to axe his Dad for a second time... would be diabolical.

@ said:
@ said:
If I were on the board, I would make him see out his contract. If he's not available to coach Panthers, Gus will be up the proverbial creek.

Gus worked out Griffin , and when he mentioned about Griffin's bed manner it described him to a tee

Lot of coaches better than Griffin out there

I was referring to IC. I would make him stick to his contract with WT. Even if he sits out the two years. If IC isnt available for Panthers then Gus is screwed.

I dont want Griffin anywhere near us.

@ said:
Regardless of the outcome, I am seriously pi55ed that another club like Penrith just waltzes in and entices someone to break a contract, especially the coach.

That is the lowest of low in my book.

Straight out of the Liverpool fc playbook…

Maybe the board are organizing a counter offer/upgrade?? That’s why they are quiet??

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
If I were on the board, I would make him see out his contract. If he's not available to coach Panthers, Gus will be up the proverbial creek.

Gus worked out Griffin , and when he mentioned about Griffin's bed manner it described him to a tee

Lot of coaches better than Griffin out there

I was referring to IC. I would make him stick to his contract with WT. Even if he sits out the two years. If IC isnt available for Panthers then Gus is screwed.

I dont want Griffin anywhere near us.

Griffin is worse than JT coach wise , Brian Smith levels :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Gould learnt his trade at the Chooks and hero worshiped uncle Nick and was taught if you want something just buy it, money always wins

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I wonder how Ivan will be viewed by Wests Tigers fans if he goes..thanks for all your efforts..

You really need to wonder about this?

And not just Tigers fans.

IF he is contemplating leaving, how is the playing group feeling? You know, the ones who were convinced to come here, to be part of something special…....

I said before that if Ivan leaves he'd be less popular around here than Slimy Fart, and that's saying something.

A JT slimey fart hybrid..?

Seems like an accurate description..

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I reckon Gould might try and get him to come back.

He wants to coach his son. Gus gets to keep his Origin halfback.

I wouldn't bet against it.

Not saying he would but can a coach simply walk out if he gets a better offer?

No, they can't just walk out…I also can't see a proud man going back to work for a bloke that sacked him. I'd give it zero chance of happening.

REMEMBER = Phil Gould Booted Ivan from Penrith

Gould has publicly come out today and said he may have made a mistake in sacking Cleary….

There it is!!!
Who is Ivan going to hand the bus keys to?

@ said:
Interesting from Brent Read, quite a pro-Tigers and questioning Ivan's integrity.

My other question right now is, sure Panthers might offer Cleary a 4-year deal. But what are the chances of actually seeing that deal out, considering the last 2 Penrith coaches were axed a few seasons from end?

Might end up actually being a 2-year deal.

Could you imagine for a minute, Ivan going back to Penrith, things not working out… how would they spin it then? Imagine Nathan is the long-term NSW halfback and Gould decides to axe his Dad for a second time... would be diabolical.

Read is best mates with Marinas husband, as mentioned above its clearly a plant article from the club. Glad we're finally using the media to our advantage.

Surely the board know how important this is to the clubs fans, and surely they stick to their guns on it. Just cannot afford to let IC go. Even if he doesnt want to coach us. Even if that will affect how we perform, they simply cannot let him go for any price. The fans need to see the board fight and refuse to be pushed around.

If he leaves everything he preaches is hypocrisy. Be the person a team mate wants etc. Loyalty, seeing out contracts etc. Ill be filthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApW98DqQB4I

Watch from 0:40

Cleary's own words!

Back