Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

@ said:
One Word - November - no team can negotiate with players under contract at other Clubs for next year until November! That's why the Nathan Cleary situation is so intriguing. Gould and O'Neill may well have been played by The Cleary's to boost his value! Nathan has the Get out Clause to play under Ivan. And Ivan Cleary's silence might be simply to avoid any hint of Insider Trading! As if! Unless Penrith put a huge offer on the Table & Sign Nathan before November he is fair game after that! And perhaps other Clubs might be a bit interested in him thus boosting his potential earn even more. Quite simply, the Cleary's don't have to do anything until November rains! Gould's excuse that he had to sack Griffin cos the Cleary O'Neill fantasy discussion would cause too much distraction is total BS. In the light of the Media frenzy created by the sacking of Griffin, Gould has delivered a self-fulfilled prophecy!

Gould sacked Griffin now because he can't sack Griffin if he wins a premiership

I think he would take any number of coaches , but he is obsessed in keeping Nathan Cleary and the best way of doing that is getting IC

Call Penrith's bluff. With the side they have there is no way they'll go with a caretaker for 2 years. They can kiss their premiership window goodbye if that's the case.

I feel like it'd be incredibly poor management from Penrith to sign Cleary in 2021\. They need a coach now.

I hope this all blows up in Gus' face, but he usually knows what he is doing.

I just want it to be over. Stay, go, whatever. Just let us know.

The annoying thing is the fact i thought we were over being the laughing stock of the NRL, but poof we are back to that point again. Surely it's not just a coincidence it's always happening to us.

The tv cameras will be focussed on Ivan this Sunday during the game.
Ivan has made the attire fancy dress, guess who’ll be hiding inside the monkey suit?

The worst possible outcome is Cleary remains but with the intention of going to Penrith in 2021\. Would kill any recruitment and retention possibilities.

Also he would get huge backlash from fans and I dare say players

Only way for Cleary to stay is with an extension.

@ said:
Cant wait for the post game press conference on Sunday..

Are you hanging out to hear Ivan say he's there to talk about the raiders game and he won't be fielding questions about the Panthers?

@ said:
Ivan has made the attire fancy dress, guess who’ll be hiding inside the monkey suit?

Are you going?

@ said:
@ said:
Cant wait for the post game press conference on Sunday..

Are you hanging out to hear Ivan say he's there to talk about the raiders game and he won't be fielding questions about the Panthers?

I’m hanging out to hear the answer to these questions: “did you see this poor performance coming? Any reason for the loss? How was the pregame buildup?

@ said:
The annoying thing is the fact i thought we were over being the laughing stock of the NRL, but poof we are back to that point again. Surely it's not just a coincidence it's always happening to us.

But we are not the laughing stock of the NRL. If anyone is, it's Penrith. They sack IC and pay him out. Extend Griffen and, less than a year after his extension, they sack him and offer the man they sacked previously the job. This is Keystone Cops behaviour.

Gould has admitted he didn't have a Plan B when he sacked Griffen and now he is saying that he doesn't expect IC to ask for a release to coach Penrith next year. Now there is talk of Penrith appointing an interim coach for two years until IC becomes available.

This is bizarre behaviour and Penrith (Gould) look like complete amateurs.

@ said:
The worst possible outcome is Cleary remains but with the intention of going to Penrith in 2021\. Would kill any recruitment and retention possibilities.

Also he would get huge backlash from fans and I dare say players

Only way for Cleary to stay is with an extension.

I agree thats not an outcome for us this could be Penrith's and Ivan's way of forcing the move.

@ said:
@ said:

But we are not the laughing stock of the NRL. If anyone is, it's Penrith. They sack IC and pay him out. Extend Griffen and, less than a year after his extension, they sack him and offer the man they sacked previously the job. This is Keystone Cops behaviour.

Gould has admitted he didn't have a Plan B when he sacked Griffen and now he is saying that he doesn't expect IC to ask for a release to coach Penrith next year. Now there is talk of Penrith appointing an interim coach for two years until IC becomes available.

Hard to argue with that. I agree.

Please end it Ivan, I am going blind reading all these posts.

It still doesn’t look good for us, even though this is not our doing, the perception is we can’t seem to keep a coach for an extended period.

After the “big 3” bailed, I was hoping everyone at the club loved being at the club. That’s one of the reasons I was happy to see Benji and Farah return.

If he’s decided he’s out once his contract is up, IMO we should use this opportunity to milk what we can from Penrith and let him go.

@ said:

Panthers move is putting us in our place trying to poach nathan which ivan accepted to keep our club down the pecking order to keep his family happy.

@ said:
Call Penrith's bluff. With the side they have there is no way they'll go with a caretaker for 2 years. They can kiss their premiership window goodbye if that's the case.

I feel like it'd be incredibly poor management from Penrith to sign Cleary in 2021\. They need a coach now.

I hope this all blows up in Gus' face, but he usually knows what he is doing.

I just want it to be over. Stay, go, whatever. Just let us know.

Apparently, their new caretaker is well thought of as a Coach, and has coached a fair few of the players in the team , there seems to be a lot of respect for him from the players themselves.
certainly more than for Hook.
Theres been a lot of stories coming out over the season that there was more than a couple who had no time for Griffin as a coach.
They may find that they do pretty well under Ciraldo.
So,It may be now or never for Ivan to get together with Nathan.

I dont have any problems with Ivan wanting to work with his Son, and I dont have any problems if he does it now.
I just hope that we can attract a good Coach to replace him IF,,,,,,(and its a big "IF") he does leave,

Hes made it very clear, from the beginning that it was what he wanted to do, but I think that Nathan has developed quicker than anyone expected .
I havent seen or heard him say hes going anywhere,

IF HE stays, Thats Great, If he goes ,then good luck to him and his Family
Families will be there long after football Clubs will be

@ said:
@ said:

I think it's fair to say that if Cleary returns to the panthers, he will def be the laughing stock of the NRL.
All credibility and integrity will be out the window.
From the outside in it seems Though WT's have managed the situation in a professional manner.
All in all, it's just a game and life will tick on.

@ said:
@ said:
It’s pretty clear what has happened here when you look at the timeline. Brent Read broke the story on Monday and stated WT officials uncontactable. After getting Ivan in on a meeting under false pretences Penrith made a play for his services. Ivan Cleary has entertained the idea clouded by the idea of coaching his son at a club with a better roster, better facilities and his mates there on the proviso he sits down with Pascoe. Gould uses this as the excuse to sack Griffin. Penrith leak to the Media to begin the destabilisation of the Tigers thinking they will roll over quick with a compensation package. Tigers deny any request for any release.

Penrith now deny everything and Gould gets exposed by Griffin as a manipulator and everything decision is made by Gus. Now damage control for Cleary and Penrith as he now will destroy his reputation if he leaves.

Cleary will have to explain this if he stays as the players will understand the impact of a family based decision.

I like what you’re saying. Could be feasible.

What I don’t like is Gould stating Cleary won’t ask for release. We have no coach. Tigers won’t let Cleary go etc etc. He’s a lying, manipulative toad - I don’t trust him - there’s more to come I think

It’s smart by Gould but low life behaviour.
They are positioning him for when he’s off contract but destabilising the Tigers now.
It retains Nathan as he knows his father is coming and creates a lame duck coach scenario for the Tigers who may release him at the end of next year. The Tigers lose here as the players know his coaching mantra is now a fraud and what are they buying into.

The only way this situation sorts itself out is if Cleary extends his Tigers deal to put it to bed.
Otherwise is a lame duck Cleary better than a strong willed and whole hearted Macquire.

I’d sign Macquire as head of football operations to make sure the long term of the club is looked after and also as an insurance policy for Cleary.

West’s have the cash and it won’t leave a lame duck Cleary with the power to make decisions which are short term if he is going in 2 years.

@ said:
@ said:

Are you going?

Yes, I’m not afraid of the cold in Canberra - I’ll be the one wearing my Birthday Suit….

@ said:
@ said:

They are raging hot favorites to secure both Ivan and Nathan long term. They win.

History is written by the winners. No one will care about any of that once they announce the 2 signings.

Back