OFFICIAL Jersey Flegg Cup

Flegg look sharper than Balmain but 5 sets in a row after some offloads and unlucky repeat sets sees Souths score in the corner. Lene doing his best impersonation of Nofs defending

One thing I can say is there's a massive crack down on downtown penalties. Players a metre in front of the kicker and chasing is an instant penalty across all three grades

No team lists but a solid start for us. Lolesio looks good.
6-4 WT
Is that Trey Lolesio ?
I liked the look of him last season, but I thought I saw we had let him go elsewhere?
What other notable players are playing in this Flegg trial for us ?

12-4 after a nice run by our right centre.
Never set we force a mistake and then earn a repeat set. Side looks solid. Tofaeno on now. And another try to the 12 off the bench after another solid run from 19 who looks hard to put down. Promising signs here.

Is that Trey Lolesio ?
I liked the look of him last season, but I thought I saw we had let him go elsewhere?
What other notable players are playing in this Flegg trial for us ?
Looks like him, but without lists it's hard to know. Nicholas, Tofaeano.

A big tackle from a few of our boys lodges their fullback back into the ingoal. We look very sharp, 12 'Tristo' I gather from his mum's yells, gets a second after good lead up work by 19 again.
24-4 a couple before HT

A big tackle from a few of our boiyso lodges their fullback back into the ingoal. We look very sharp, 12 'Tristo' I gather from his mum's yells gets a second after good lead up work by 19 again
Probably Tristyn Ball.
Was one of the more highly regarded players while coming through the Magpies ranks in times when the Magpies sides were not very strong.

Last edited:
One thing I can say is there's a massive crack down on downtown penalties. Players a metre in front of the kicker and chasing is an instant penalty across all three grades
But that’s not the downtown penalty.
It is any player who moves ‘down town’ before the kick is made. Anyone ‘offside’ can be ran back on after the kicker or has to stay outside the Ten.

With our Jersey Flegg Round 1 fixture during our NRL & NSW Cup bye round, we may see some players given a run in Flegg to build their reps. Here is a possible 17 who are all 21 in 2024 or under (most are 19 or 20) ...

1 Mason
2 Willett
3 Feledy
4 Solo Saukuru
5 Craig
6 Latu Fainu
7 Teaupa
13 Matamua / Faagutu
12 Tumeth / Sukkar
11 Vaihu
10 Aho
9 Da Silva
8 Taungatua

Tofaeono, Nicholas, Malloy, Tuipolotu

Iverson Matai is also eligible but think he will play season in NSW Cup so might have Teaupa in for continuity. Do the Laulilii brothers also get a start?

With our Jersey Flegg Round 1 fixture during our NRL & NSW Cup bye round, we may see some players given a run in Flegg to build their reps. Here is a possible 17 who are all 21 in 2024 or under (most are 19 or 20) ...

1 Mason
2 Willett
3 Feledy
4 Solo Saukuru
5 Craig
6 Latu Fainu
7 Teaupa
13 Matamua / Faagutu
12 Tumeth / Sukkar
11 Vaihu
10 Aho
9 Da Silva
8 Taungatua

Tofaeono, Nicholas, Malloy, Tuipolotu

Iverson Matai is also eligible but think he will play season in NSW Cup so might have Teaupa in for continuity. Do the Laulilii brothers also get a start?
Another line of thinking for our Jersey Flegg team during the early rounds is that we play most of our SG Ball eligible players in SG Ball until junior reps season finishes in April.

This gives an opportunity for those in the actual Flegg squad to press their claims as potential future NRL or NSW Cup players across the first 5 to 7 rounds of Flegg.

So potentially the likes of Mason, Willett, Craig, Laulilii & Da Silva play SG Ball until April (hopefully win a premiership) before transitioning to Flegg & then potentially Cup.

This would give the likes of the talented Brandan Naicori, Will Malloy, Zak Clarke, Kobie Wilson & Ofele Lene a chance to show what they have in Flegg before some of the younger bucks look to oust them.

The outliar is Lachie Galvin who I don't think we'll see in SG Ball again!

Any thoughts from others on how we may progress the development of our SG Ball talent into Flegg / Cup?

A few observations:
  • The above squad will likely also feature many of our U21 NRL, Development and T&T players for 2024, with the probables being - Tallyn Da Silva, Lachlan Galvin, Jordan Miller, Josh Feledy, Chris Faagutu, Kit Laulilii, Solomone Saukuru, Tony Sukkar, Luke Laulilii, Heath Mason, Will Craig, Nav Willett, Keenan Lawandos, Marc Tannous & Sione Vaihu.
  • Tumeth, Matamua, Latu Fainu & Sam Fainu are also age eligible but doubt they will play below Cup level.
  • 34 of the 52 players listed above who are eligible for Jersey Flegg this season are also eligible in 2025.

What I am liking about our Jersey Flegg squad is the genuine competition for spots this season.

Our young guns in SG Ball are going to have to impress consistently to warrant progression during the season as many of our Flegg squad are very well capable themselves.

Not to mention there is no need to rush some of them as 34 of them are eligible for Flegg again in '25.

I'm particularly interested to see how our final year Flegg boys go to see if they can take the next step ... Herman Tofaeono, Vaka Aho, Cayne Nicholas, Bailey Hodges, Tristyn Ball, John Tuipolotu and the like.

Lowkey think Will Malloy is first grade. He's under the radar because he came through the Balmain pathway but he scores for fun.
He’s an athlete and the ideal body shape for an outside back.
I noticed he’s previously mainly played as a winger, but our current Flegg coach named him in last weeks trial as a centre.
Usually a pretty good indicator that the coach/club is pleased with the player and his progression.

Back