Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

I still think we lack a short nuggety powerful & 'aggressive' prop that has leg speed, good D and can score from close range. Hoping one of Tofaeono, Aho & Faagatu can come on to support Pole in this regard.
You are living in hope? You have been living in hope with these guys for 3 years. They just get older.
But never give up!

For all the pathways coming through nobody really sticks out to me. Galvin possibly

But I miss the days of Toyota cup when we had genuine under 20 superstars coming through the ranks

I was at both games for Wests HM and SG.

I'll get the bad out of the way first. in SG we went with the Chooks until there was about 14 to go. from there they scored a few late tries that blew it out significantly. Easts' backline is super slick and the manner in which they execute is first class. no Willett, Craig and Keppie killed our defensive combinations and that was that.

we opted to play the power game thru the middle and while it worked when the game got into the grind we certainly beat ourselves. Pritchard failed to catch the ball off the kickoff and we dropped out for the Chooks to score first set. we did brilliantly well to fight back to get it to 14-10 at the break, but conceded a penalty in the first set of the second half and it set the tone. we just never really got started after the break and the class of the Chooks outside backs (plus a few unlucky tries) killed us off.

Tallyn was obviously a class above and Luke Laulili'i had some brilliant touches in good ball. Archie Duncombe looked sensational in his SG Ball debut and I really like the look of Callum McMenemy. Jordan Miller is in dire need of conditioning but if we are patient there remains a player there. Pritchard and Edwards-Moeke were rocks and diamonds. Kohan Lewis always tries his guts out. there's a solid amount of players still in this squad but with others being pushed up the grades it is going to result in scorelines such as this one.

I was at both games for Wests HM and SG.

I'll get the bad out of the way first. in SG we went with the Chooks until there was about 14 to go. from there they scored a few late tries that blew it out significantly. Easts' backline is super slick and the manner in which they execute is first class. no Willett, Craig and Keppie killed our defensive combinations and that was that.

we opted to play the power game thru the middle and while it worked when the game got into the grind we certainly beat ourselves. Pritchard failed to catch the ball off the kickoff and we dropped out for the Chooks to score first set. we did brilliantly well to fight back to get it to 14-10 at the break, but conceded a penalty in the first set of the second half and it set the tone. we just never really got started after the break and the class of the Chooks outside backs (plus a few unlucky tries) killed us off.

Tallyn was obviously a class above and Luke Laulili'i had some brilliant touches in good ball. Archie Duncombe looked sensational in his SG Ball debut and I really like the look of Callum McMenemy. Jordan Miller is in dire need of conditioning but if we are patient there remains a player there. Pritchard and Edwards-Moeke were rocks and diamonds. Kohan Lewis always tries his guts out. there's a solid amount of players still in this squad but with others being pushed up the grades it is going to result in scorelines such as this one.
Thanks jrtiger.
Great to hear Talyn showed his class even through they were convincingly beaten.
In the highlights I’ve seen of Archie Duncombe, he looks an intelligent young footballer who uses the ball very well.

as for Harold Matts, this is a serious footy side.

it all reverberates around Alex Isdale. he was brilliant today. organises really well, calm under pressure and seems to have really sound judgement on when to run or pass. had a couple of try assists and controlled things really well. a massive improvement on last year and a player that will be pushing for higher honours as early as next season.

our middles were incredible today, Maddax Fui and Peter Taai in particular. their work on both sides of the ball is brilliant. where Fui hits like a bus, Taai has poise and timing. Godinet and Epati work their collective backsides off as well, it makes for an excellent starting forward pack. Moors has the ability to skittle defenders, as does PJ French, who scored a great try today. the concern this year has been around losing momentum when our starters go off, that certainly didn't happen today.

Ashton Large is first class. a very different player to Da Silva but his work in defence, his talk and his touches in attack are brilliant. I was really impressed by Cosgrave, his deputy, but when Ashton came back on for his second stint that was when we kicked away.

Thomas Goodfield had a blinder on his return. scored a brilliant try where he split the markers powered thru the defensive line and then evaded the fullback to score. also did some excellent cleanup work with 5 to go and the Chooks were on the attack where he took a slips-type catch to retrieve the ball off a wayward Roosters flick pass back inside. super super impressive today. Ali Karnib looks like Dylan Edwards to me. high effort player who is in everything. doesn't have heaps of good ball touches but his efforts are befitting of a player destined for higher honours.

I'm sure everyone is wondering about Makasini, and the hype is justified. the bloke got the ball one off the scrum, feigned to turn Karnib inside, put the foot down and skittled three defenders to score in the corner and then converted his own try. what I love about him is his workrate. while most big talented outside backs often sit and wait for the ball to come, he takes plenty of hitups off his own line. while he has some work to do in contact defensively, his attitude will ensure he improves. he is a cannot miss talent. he has to be locked up.

the only thing that is stopping this side from winning the comp is the fact that Onitoni will be out for the year. Jhevon Lele is a solid deputy, but he struggles to set his outside men up and struggles in execution. that's not to say we can't win it, we're definitely favourites, but Onitoni's inclusion would've made us untouchable.

a super impressive, well-coached outfit. cannot wait to see them in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Thanks jrtiger.
Great to hear Talyn showed his class even through they were convincingly beaten.
In the highlights I’ve seen of Archie Duncombe, he looks an intelligent young footballer who uses the ball very well.
what I liked about Duncombe today was that he rolled up the sleeves. he had a hand in a break we made down the left edge, but he put the bag of tricks away and instead focused on carting the ball up and finding his front. I think he's got a future.

as for Harold Matts, this is a serious footy side.

it all reverberates around Alex Isdale. he was brilliant today. organises really well, calm under pressure and seems to have really sound judgement on when to run or pass. had a couple of try assists and controlled things really well. a massive improvement on last year and a player that will be pushing for higher honours as early as next season.

our middles were incredible today, Maddax Fui and Peter Taai in particular. their work on both sides of the ball is brilliant. where Fui hits like a bus, Taai has poise and timing. Godinet and Epati work their collective backsides off as well, it makes for an excellent starting forward pack. Moors has the ability to skittle defenders, as does PJ French, who scored a great try today. the concern this year has been around losing momentum when our starters go off, that certainly didn't happen today.

Ashton Large is first class. a very different player to Da Silva but his work in defence, his talk and his touches in attack are brilliant. I was really impressed by Cosgrave, his deputy, but when Ashton came back on for his second stint that was when we kicked away.

Thomas Goodfield had a blinder on his return. scored a brilliant try where he split the markers powered thru the defensive line and then evaded the fullback to score. also did some excellent cleanup work with 5 to go and the Chooks were on the attack where he took a slips-type catch to retrieve the ball off a wayward Roosters flick pass back inside. super super impressive today. Ali Karnib looks like Dylan Edwards to me. high effort player who is in everything. doesn't have heaps of good ball touches but his efforts are befitting of a player destined for higher honours.

I'm sure everyone is wondering about Makasini, and the hype is justified. the bloke got the ball one off the scrum, feigned to turn Karnib inside, put the foot down and skittled three defenders to score in the corner and then converted his own try. what I love about him is his workrate. while most big talented outside backs sit and wait for the ball to come, he takes plenty of hitups off his own line. while he has some work to do in contact defensively, his attitude will ensure he improves. he is a cannot miss talent. he has to be locked up.

the only thing that is stopping this side from winning the comp is the fact that Onitoni will be out for the year. Jhevon Lele is a solid deputy, but he struggles to set his outside men up and struggles in execution. that's not to say we can't win it, we're definitely favourites, but Onitoni's inclusion would've made us untouchable.

a super impressive, well-coached outfit. cannot wait to see them in the playoffs.

Thanks for the detailed updates mate, awesome stuff.

FINAL PATHWAYS RESULTS - 23-24/3/24

The Knock On Effect NSW Cup

LOSS - Jets beat Magpies 25-24

Jersey Flegg Cup (U/21's)
WIN - Wests Tigers beat Sharks 38-18

UNE SG Ball Cup (U/19's)
LOSS - Roosters beat Magpies 42-16
LOSS - Sea Eagles beat Tigers 36-10

Westpac Tarsha Gale Cup (U/19's Girls)
WIN - Wests Tigers beat Rabbitohs 26-8

UNE Harold Matthews Cup (U/17's)
WIN - Magpies beat Roosters 32-22
LOSS - Sea Eagles beat Tigers 30-4

Westpac Lisa Fiaola Cup (U/17's Girls)
WIN - Wests Tigers beat Rabbitohs 38-0

SLE Andrew Johns Cup (U/16's)
LOSS - CC Roosters beat M Wests Tigers 20-12

FINAL PATHWAYS RESULTS - 23-24/3/24

LOSS - Jets beat Magpies 25-24

WIN - Wests Tigers beat Sharks 38-18

UNE SG Ball Cup (U/19's)
LOSS - Roosters beat Magpies 42-16
LOSS - Sea Eagles beat Tigers 36-10

WIN - Wests Tigers beat Rabbitohs 26-8

WIN - Magpies beat Roosters 32-22
LOSS - Sea Eagles beat Tigers 30-4

WIN - Wests Tigers beat Rabbitohs 38-0

SLE Andrew Johns Cup (U/16's)
LOSS - CC Roosters beat M Wests Tigers 20-12
We won 2 more matches this week than last week (y)

You are living in hope? You have been living in hope with these guys for 3 years. They just get older.
But never give up!
They're 18-18 FFS! Only just starting their professional careers. Aho and Tofaeono still aren't full time professionals, can't expect too much development from them yet

FINAL PATHWAYS RESULTS - 29th of March to 1st of April, 2024

WIN - Magpies beat Eels 32-26

WIN - Wests Tigers beat Eels 24-22

UNE SG Ball Cup (U/19's)
LOSS - Eels beat Magpies 30-26
LOSS - Knights beat Tigers 50-10

LOSS - Sea Eagles beat Wests Tigers 66-6

DRAW - Magpies draw with Eels 16-16
LOSS - Knights beat Tigers 34-6

WIN - Wests Tigers beat Sea Eagles 42-0

Nah, Luke Laulilii is making his U/21’s debut at fullback this weekend.

You might be getting mixed up with his brother Kit, who’s a lock/prop.
Thanks mate

In your opinion how many very good juniors does the Tiger's have in lower grades?

Latest posts

Members online

Back