Luke Brooks - Mega Thread

If I've got these figures wrong tell me ?

I am pretty sure the figures are wrong or there is a lot more to it ala back payments. He has consistently been on the park and consistently been one of our better players. His contract appears to go up and up and up every time it's written about in the media but there wasn't the same narrative when he initially signed his contract.

I'm not sure we stick with Brooks. Sure he looks better when Hastings is controlling the team but I think AD makes a better 6.

He isn't a marquee player and we can't pay him much over 500k going forward.

we need Brooks Hastings and Douhie all on the field

I don't see it as being about those 3 only. I don't think we can have any of them in our pack. I think ideally they are all in our spine especially if they are all on big dollars.

I also think we have centres coming through that can do a good job. To'a, Kepaoa & even Talau or maybe even Tupou longer term.

It comes down to the club figuring out how to get a winning team on the park.

I also think Hastings and Doueihi are the first two picked if fit week in and week out.

I don't see it as being about those 3 only. I don't think we can have any of them in our pack. I think ideally they are all in our spine especially if they are all on big dollars.

I also think we have centres coming through that can do a good job. To'a, Kepaoa & even Talau or maybe even Tupou longer term.

It comes down to the club figuring out how to get a winning team on the park.

I also think Hastings and Doueihi are the first two picked if fit week in and week out.
the way Brooks was swinging around Hastings, that is pace. Brooks is the 6
We need a centre Douhie fits that part.
Ideally we pick up Papali and Angus Crichton and play douhie as a lock

I am pretty sure the figures are wrong or there is a lot more to it ala back payments. He has consistently been on the park and consistently been one of our better players. His contract appears to go up and up and up every time it's written about in the media but there wasn't the same narrative when he initially signed his contract.

I'm not sure we stick with Brooks. Sure he looks better when Hastings is controlling the team but I think AD makes a better 6.

He isn't a marquee player and we can't pay him much over 500k going forward.
At least two posts this morning suggesting Brooks isn't value for money. This is based off figures provided by who Rothfield or DT? If posters are going to whack him over the head on his contract value, produce the source to back the figures? If they can't it is a non goer.

the way Brooks was swinging around Hastings, that is pace. Brooks is the 6
We need a centre Douhie fits that part.
Ideally we pick up Papali and Angus Crichton and play douhie as a lock

I really don't like Doueihi at lock which probably means he becomes the best player in the comp in that position.

I'm getting less concerned about centre as well. I like To'a and Kepaoa.

I feel Brooks is the out man out especially when it comes to managing the cap.

At the same time Brooks does add a lot to the team. His defense is good. He has pace. He can throw a good pass - short and now long as well.

I'd like to see Brooks at fullback unless we pick up a gun fullback.

To be honest though I'm talking a full strength team and that is fantasy land.

At least two posts this morning suggesting Brooks isn't value for money. This is based off figures provided by who Rothfield or DT? If posters are going to whack him over the head on his contract value, produce the source to back the figures? If they can't it is a non goer.

I totally agree with you.

I get the value for money argument in that having AD, Hastings and Brooks in the same team is costing a bit of coin. Hastings is our best player and is going to get a pay rise and hopefully prior to the end of this week.

Doueihi is expensive. Brooks would also be expensive. Doueihi in the centres is an expensive centre.

They are all spine players - i.e. highly paid compared to basically every other position.

I totally agree with you.

I get the value for money argument in that having AD, Hastings and Brooks in the same team is costing a bit of coin. Hastings is our best player and is going to get a pay rise and hopefully prior to the end of this week.

Doueihi is expensive. Brooks would also be expensive. Doueihi in the centres is an expensive centre.

They are all spine players - i.e. highly paid compared to basically every other position.
Billy Moore was in raptures about two halves swinging between sides of the field. especially Brooks when he laid on the pass on the right hand side of the field. If it is not broken why fix it? Brooks was the only player who got near the Cowboy player in the runaway try. Pace is just as effective in defence and had his run not been blocked, Brooks in all probability would have tackled the try scorer short of the line. That is a big game play.

Billy Moore was in raptures about two halves swinging between sides of the field. especially Brooks when he laid on the pass on the right hand side of the field. If it is not broken why fix it? Brooks was the only player who got near the Cowboy player in the runaway try. Pace is just as effective in defence and had his run not been blocked, Brooks in all probability would have tackled the try scorer short of the line. That is a big game play.

Brooks can play. He is quick. He can defend. He can throw a good pass. He can put in a good kick. He is a first grader.

He isn't great at consistently taking the right option and performing to a high level under pressure.

The thing is when the need a big play we were looking at Doueihi last year.

Hastings atm to me is god.

Honestly though I don't have the answers. Hastings gets the 7. Doueihi needs to be in the team. Where they go from there is up to the coaching staff.

Kick-offs not reaching the ingoal and only getting to the 10m line area is just not good enough. The advantage in field position is gifted to the opposition. Also kicks for touch travelling for about a 15 metre gain Also unacceptable. Jacko needs to take over the kicking duties until Adam is back on board.

Brooks can play. He is quick. He can defend. He can throw a good pass. He can put in a good kick. He is a first grader.

He isn't great at consistently taking the right option and performing to a high level under pressure.

The thing is when the need a big play we were looking at Doueihi last year.

Hastings atm to me is god.

Honestly though I don't have the answers. Hastings gets the 7. Doueihi needs to be in the team. Where they go from there is up to the coaching staff.
Unfortunately the second half demonstrated the best and worst of Hastings. He tried his hardest to get the team going. I admire his spirit but what is undeniable is he lacks pace which is often the difference between making a break for a try or defending one. Hastings works with Brooks beside him and vice verse.

Doueihi realistically will head to the forwards. With Tupou, Toa, Kepaoa we have good depth in the centres. We do lack genuine pace on the wings to compliment our centres. We need to produce fast wingers or buy one or two.

Unfortunately the second half demonstrated the best and worst of Hastings. He tried his hardest to get the team going. I admire his spirit but what is undeniable is he lacks pace which is often the difference between making a break for a try or defending one. Hastings works with Brooks beside him and vice verse.

Doueihi realistically will head to the forwards. With Tupou, Toa, Kepaoa we have good depth in the centres. We do lack genuine pace on the wings to compliment our centres. We need to produce fast wingers or buy one or two.
Yeah the Hastings Brooks combination is a winner keeping a lid on Hastings and Hastings giving room and confidence to Brooks.

AD needs to be fullback or centre.

Don't believe this business of having high paid players only close in. Look at the dogs, they are destroying the best young centre in Burton on 5/8.

Really believe in players in position.

Centres and wingers will cost you and win you more games than people admit.

Last edited:

Trey Peni looks good.

Yeah the Hastings Brooks combination is a winner keeping a lid on Hastings and Hastings giv9room and confidence to Brooks.

AD needs to be fullback or centre.

Don't believe this business of having high paid players only close in. Look at the dogs, they are destroying the best young centre in Burton on 5/8.

Really believe in players in position.

Centres and wingers will cost you and win you more games than people admit.
Agreed. A fully fit spine of Laurie, Brooks, Hastings, and Api with Doueihi at centre and Papalii running inside will be dangerous. Bring on 2023!

Latest posts

Back