Madge Maguire - Mega Thread

@momo_amp_medo said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1516920) said:
How Michael Maguire will juggle Jackson Hastings' arrival alongside Luke Brooks and Adam Doueihi

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire has lauded Jackson Hastings' contribution since arriving at Concord and revealed where he sees his no. 1 recruit best fitting into the side next year.

Returning to the NRL after a four-year Super League stint, Hastings headlines a handful of fresh faces that have joined Maguire's side over the summer that also includes Titans utility Tyrone Peachey and highly-touted English import Oliver Gildart.

After a turbulent start to his NRL career across stints at the Roosters and Sea Eagles, Hastings became an instant success upon moving to Salford midway through 2018, claiming the Man of Steel award in his first full season and guiding the Red Devils to their first ever grand final, before spending two years with Super League giants Wigan.

The playmaker's arrival at the Tigers on a two-year deal comes amidst great anticipation as the club looks to correct 10 years of failure to reach the finals.

There's been no shortage of speculation over what Hastings' arrival will mean for the make-up of Maguire's spine, with senior figures Adam Doueihi and Luke Brooks the Tigers' first-choice halves pairing for much of this season and sharing the honours as the club's Player of the Year.

However, with Doueihi to miss the start of next year's campaign as he recovers from an ACL injury suffered late in the 2021 season, Hastings will be given free run at the No. 6 jersey alongside Brooks.

And Maguire has liked what's he's seen from the pair during the early phase of pre-season.

"(Hastings has) been excellent. He's come in and he's a real competitor – I love how he competes," Maguire told SEN's Breakfast with Vossy.

"I've got Jacko doing a fair bit at five-eighth at the moment and he and Broosky are starting to really develop a good combination around training.

"I'll look to see him in and around that five-eighth position at the moment but he's been a real asset to us."

Maguire also said Hastings' arrival will allow the Tigers' medical staff to be patient with Doueihi's recovery.

The club anticipates a return around round 10 for their star playmaker but Maguire stressed given this isn't Doueihi's first knee reconstruction, having suffered the same injury while at the Rabbitohs, there will be extra caution taken with his return to the field.

"He's coming along really well," the Tigers coach said of Doueihi's recovery.

"You've got to be careful with guys that have had two (reconstructions). You've got to be patient.

"He's well ahead of schedule but we're not going to push that either.

"He's a big asset to us as a club and to watch he and Brooksy gel together and now we've got Jackson Hastings, it gives us a bit more depth in the halves.

"We'll make sure we get Adam ready to go because he had a great year and to see him develop with that experience now and understanding leadership of what it takes to drive a footy team around.

"I'm looking forward to seeing him come back, I'd say it'd be around round 10 at the moment but with the high performance (staff) we've got, they're pretty clever, so we'll see how it goes."

After coming close to being sacked at the conclusion of this season following Wests' 13th-place finish, Maguire enters 2022 as arguably the NRL's most under-pressure coach.

While he understands the frustrations amongst the club's loyal fans, Maguire insists a return to the playoffs will come if his squad are focused on small daily improvements.

“I’m not going to put an expectation on (2022),” Maguire added.

“You’ll see us improve every day. We want to make sure that we get out everything we can at training.

“It’s about us as a coaching group, playing group and organisation to get the best out of our players every day and let the results do the talking.

“Obviously we all want to be successful… but it just takes a bit of time.

“We are building a really solid group of players.

“Over time, we will get to where we want to get to.”

Sounds like he has absolutely no hope of success in '22 haha

@spartan117 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517039) said:
@jc99 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517037) said:
Sounds like he has absolutely no hope of success in '22

Just like most Tigers fans.

Building for 23.

Hang on.

Madge won't make it that far most likely. Another year of going backwards and they'll have no choice but to punt him - if they could've got a better coach in his spot he would probably be gone already

2023 should be better. Hopefully some more nice signings ahead

It seems like anyone from the club doing a media piece is under orders to talk things down for season 22. Both Sheens and Madge have been very reluctant to make any predictions for next season and basically talk expectations down. Although they do seem to be positive about 23.

Maybe it’s about getting people onboard with the idea of a average year ahead but light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it might also be about trying to save your job

Maguire loves big boppers. He was quoted not long ago when asked who he'd like to sign and he said another quality prop would be good. He also said that 2023 is our year. I know that might be an indemnity type statement but it now seems to be the aim. Have a look at our better young players, they are getting more experience with each game and then you throw in some quality signings, fix up the office and coaching/support staff and things turn around. Apart from Stef's upgrade the signing priority should be the best go forward man available. I got hammered in the Cotric thread by saying 'please no more backs'. I understand people comments and I'm a Cotric fan, but I was trying to say that backs are cheaper and we have a development system for that [hopefully]. There is our recent signings in young Topou and Gildart and also JTJ who could assist [possibly next year a bargain back might become available at the right money] but forwards like Stef plus Paulo or Thompson you can build your club around them and your spine, spend the dosh.

@supercoach said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517062) said:
It seems like anyone from the club doing a media piece is under orders to talk things down for season 22. Both Sheens and Madge have been very reluctant to make any predictions for next season and basically talk expectations down. Although they do seem to be positive about 23.

Maybe it’s about getting people onboard with the idea of a average year ahead but light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it might also be about trying to save your job

Makes sense, just like dogs in 2021.

We know the results that are coming. Im not happy about it.

Lets be realistic.

Hard to be patient after so long.
We need to at least show some heart this year for Madge to keep his job.

I know for myself, if we pull off one or two more major signings for 2023, I won’t give a toss about ‘22. I’ll still be invested but I won’t be at a total loss. Unlike previous seasons when we’ve had nothing to look forward to, in ‘22 we can all take heart knowing there are better days ahead.

We finished where most expected us to, based on the quality, or lack there of the squad compared to other teams in the competition. More of the same next year - any wins will bring false hope, losses will keep the pressure on Maguire to keep his job.

I don't mind the club talking down our chances for 22. Might be a realisation that the coach and playing group cracked under the pressure of the expectations that the tales from tiger town cameras brought to 21.

Much better to fly under the radar this season while having in house expectations to challenge for the 8

@bagnf05 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481775) said:
@go_you_good_things said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481487) said:
@bptiger-0 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481409) said:
I think a lot of people on this forum , have got it all wrong , the board nor the chairman don’t coach the football team , they may be behind us not signing players , but the buck falls at the coaches feet . How can anyone on this forum support Madge when in the last 3 years our defence has gone from bad to out right pathetic, and our attack is nothing to right home about , all year I have sat and watched our defence do the must dum shit , yet it never changes so what the hell is the coach doing , he’s not addressing the situation or the players refuse to listen , then it’s his fault for not dropping them , the job of the coach is to coach and direct the team , and let’s face it , Madge has failed , not to do with the board , that’s not to say there are useless but that another story .

I also think a lot of people have got it wrong too !
Neither the board, the GM or the coach put the jersey on and run onto a playing field and dish up pathetic performances.
I'm pretty sure the coach hasn't missed a single tackle all season.
But you are right about our defence. Yes, it is pathetic. I have done some research and discovered that Madge, the board AND Pascoe haven't missed a single tackle all year. But I have uncovered the culprits. IT'S THE PLAYERS.
They are first grade. They shouldn't need anyone to show them how to tackle.
The ones you watch doing the dumb shit are indeed the ones who take the blame for our "pathetic" defence.

While I agree with you, the club accepts those standards when they don’t act. See what the Roosters do when a player doesn’t measure up? JTJ should be a memory at this club and our second rowers should really be on notice. I suspect we will see the same issues next year and that’s a weakness as we can’t seem to hold players accountable for poor performance.

All of this is true - but some are presuming we have unlimited salary cap and no carry over debt, and top class representative players.

It is the coach's job to coach and improve, correct. But when you walk into a joint that is a basket case, no junior pathways, with millions in wasted and overpaid player debt, and you have the equivalent of 13 Datsun 120Y's at your disposal, what are you supposed to manufacture from that?

Maguire may be good or bad - and history will tell that tale, but there is no doubting he CAN coach, but to lay all the blame at his feet with no context is unfair and unreasonable.

Looks like everyone at the club is aligned

Year 1 assess
Year 2 action
Year 3 Its on like Donkey Kong

Wooden spoon is a real possibility for next season.

@mighty_tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517115) said:
Wooden spoon is a real possibility for next season

If its based on recruitment and injuries, other clubs appear to have done better for 2022.

Its all about attitude of the players to compete in each play.

**We should be looking at becoming hard to beat no matter who is on the team.** That would be a success in my eyes.

@spartan117 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517116) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517115) said:
Wooden spoon is a real possibility for next season

If its based on recruitment and injuries, other clubs appear to have done better for 2022.

Its all about attitude of the players to compete in each play.

**We should be looking at becoming hard to beat no matter who is on the team.** That would be a success in my eyes.

We dont lack talent we lack commitment.

If they fix that no chance in hell we get the spoon.

The key ingredient for us this coming season is starting well , if we can come out and be 3 wins from first 5 games we are holding well , if we come out and get beat 4 out of 5 the players are the ones who start to get a wobble up of hear we go again , it’s critical our coaches get this team on a high in the off season , believe in them selfs , gel amongst all players , enjoy training , that’s Madge and the other new coaches who have joined us job , believe in yourself’s and you can do a hole lot better than just going through the motions , Hastings will be key as well he needs to be a strong leader in he group let Brooks do his job while he takes control control of the team , Our forwards need to stand up and hurt opposition with firm defence and hard running , the addition of the 2 new coaches I think will be a plus , nice fresh input , Gildart will only want to prove he can be in the team that’s a positive same for Hastings and Peach , plus we have some new young guys and they look solid , Blore , And big Stef will go good after last season experience , I’m pretty confident we go ok and jump up to compete for the 8 in season 22 season 2023 let’s just wait til 22 is over ,

@cobarcats said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517103) said:
Maguire loves big boppers. He was quoted not long ago when asked who he'd like to sign and he said another quality prop would be good. He also said that 2023 is our year. I know that might be an indemnity type statement but it now seems to be the aim. Have a look at our better young players, they are getting more experience with each game and then you throw in some quality signings, fix up the office and coaching/support staff and things turn around. Apart from Stef's upgrade the signing priority should be the best go forward man available. I got hammered in the Cotric thread by saying 'please no more backs'. I understand people comments and I'm a Cotric fan, but I was trying to say that backs are cheaper and we have a development system for that [hopefully]. There is our recent signings in young Topou and Gildart and also JTJ who could assist [possibly next year a bargain back might become available at the right money] but forwards like Stef plus Paulo or Thompson you can build your club around them and your spine, spend the dosh.

Forwards win games backs determine by how much.
Build the forward pack first, Paulo is a must

Back