Madge Maguire - Mega Thread

@jc99 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517320) said:
Madge quite simply has to improve the team from last season. If they finish the same or worse next season he cannot be kept on as coach.

He's in year 4 of coaching, the team should be getting better, not worse.

If you signed a coach to a 4 year contract, and he failed to make the 8 each of those 4 years, what chance would he have of getting renewed?

@Spartan117 that is true and the last thing anyone would want is another re-build. Again, I don't know the answer, all I know is we are not very likely to make top 8 this year and we probably need to plan accordingly.

I truly believe we will be in the bottom 2-3 this year along with Cowboys and Dragons, in fact 90% of people who follow NRL would. Do we continue with Madge if that is the case, give him one more year? Surely a coach can't miss Finals 5 years in a row? I actually think Madge is a great disciplinarian and a great leader.

@batboy said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517322) said:
Madge quite simply has to improve the team from last season. If they finish the same or worse next season he cannot be kept on as coach.

Took BA 4+ Years to get the Eels into the Top 8...
And they had better players that we did/do.

Now, They're there or there abouts every year.

that's funny, it sounds like they were breaking the cap in his first 3 years anyway LOL.

he got them to top 4 in his 4th year. Miracles happen but that's not very likely to happen for us in 2022.

We’ve had much stronger squads in the last decade who didn’t make the 8. We had players like Tedesco and still failed. We’re looking at a bottom 4 finish. However if we can add one or two more good signings for 2023, we will be a legit top 8 chance.

Arthur got them into the top 4 in his fourth year at the club. Let's see if Madge can do the same with us.

@gnr4life said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517323) said:

If you signed a coach to a 4 year contract, and he failed to make the 8 each of those 4 years, what chance would he have of getting renewed?

There are some variables to it, but pretty low most likely. If they picked up a team that was dead last and was steadily improving and making good signings then maybe they get a crack at a fifth year

If they take over and continue to get worse every year the chances are pretty low. If we can show some good improvements this year and make a few good more signings for '23 maybe Madge gets another year

Agree its time for him to start improving but in all fairness the first 3 years he had a terrible roster and no money to spend.. I personally think he deserves to have a go with all the new players we are signing to see how he goes then.

I give him a lot of credit as he could of done what 99% of coaches do to save there job and just brought players and went for success straight away. He could see that this club needed to be built from the ground up and focus on top juniors and now we have offloaded the big 4 money makers (Packer, Mbye, Reynolds, Mato) we are just adding the correct pieces to make us a top team for the long term. Adding Papi for 600k and Ape for around $650k are fantastic buys and very good prices considering we have not made finals in 10 years.. I am sure Sheen and team will be adding a few more as well.

I know its been a very slow process but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and give Madge credit for sticking to that process the whole way without budging.

We all think differently but I have my fingers crossed he does well and stays long term.

@swordy said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517113) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481775) said:
@go_you_good_things said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481487) said:
@bptiger-0 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481409) said:
I think a lot of people on this forum , have got it all wrong , the board nor the chairman don’t coach the football team , they may be behind us not signing players , but the buck falls at the coaches feet . How can anyone on this forum support Madge when in the last 3 years our defence has gone from bad to out right pathetic, and our attack is nothing to right home about , all year I have sat and watched our defence do the must dum shit , yet it never changes so what the hell is the coach doing , he’s not addressing the situation or the players refuse to listen , then it’s his fault for not dropping them , the job of the coach is to coach and direct the team , and let’s face it , Madge has failed , not to do with the board , that’s not to say there are useless but that another story .

I also think a lot of people have got it wrong too !
Neither the board, the GM or the coach put the jersey on and run onto a playing field and dish up pathetic performances.
I'm pretty sure the coach hasn't missed a single tackle all season.
But you are right about our defence. Yes, it is pathetic. I have done some research and discovered that Madge, the board AND Pascoe haven't missed a single tackle all year. But I have uncovered the culprits. IT'S THE PLAYERS.
They are first grade. They shouldn't need anyone to show them how to tackle.
The ones you watch doing the dumb shit are indeed the ones who take the blame for our "pathetic" defence.

While I agree with you, the club accepts those standards when they don’t act. See what the Roosters do when a player doesn’t measure up? JTJ should be a memory at this club and our second rowers should really be on notice. I suspect we will see the same issues next year and that’s a weakness as we can’t seem to hold players accountable for poor performance.

All of this is true - but some are presuming we have unlimited salary cap and no carry over debt, and top class representative players.

It is the coach's job to coach and improve, correct. But when you walk into a joint that is a basket case, no junior pathways, with millions in wasted and overpaid player debt, and you have the equivalent of 13 Datsun 120Y's at your disposal, what are you supposed to manufacture from that?

Maguire may be good or bad - and history will tell that tale, but there is no doubting he CAN coach, but to lay all the blame at his feet with no context is unfair and unreasonable.

I am pro Madge and anti- the men in suits who can’t get us off the canvas. Maybe in 23’

Although I've suppressed the memories of some of our '21 losses, think about where we'd be if we didn't drop some winnable games...
Cowboys, Rabbitohs, both Warriors games and of course 🤢 the last round capitulation...
If the coaching staff can get the lads playing to their full potential, we're a much better chance of winning some of these "soft" games and in the context of season '21, would've made the world of difference to our position on the ladder in the end.

With that roster no coach will see any success even if they were at it for 50 yrs. On the other hand with some rosters in the NRL even me as coach and I have NFI would get teams in the top 4. Without the right cattle forget about it. Just ask the current Penrith coach. He bailed at the first opportunity and he is the one that got us in the mess ie left for Madge to deal with. The job he took on was a poison chalice and even blind Freddy could see that. In my opinion in the last few years we over achieved. Especially when truly our roster has been bottom 4 always. Just ask all the other clubs. When playing Tigers they were always banking the 2 points confidently.

@wildcat777 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517358) said:

With that roster no coach will see any success even if they were at it for 50 yrs. On the other hand with some rosters in the NRL even me as coach and I have NFI would get teams in the top 4. Without the right cattle forget about it. Just ask the current Penrith coach. He bailed at the first opportunity and he is the one that got us in the mess ie left for Madge to deal with. The job he took on was a poison chalice and even blind Freddy could see that. In my opinion in the last few years we over achieved. Especially when truly our roster has been bottom 4 always. Just ask all the other clubs. When playing Tigers they were always banking the 2 points confidently.

Couldn’t agree more. What we have is a roster issue caused by a recruitment issue caused by a credibility issue. Sheens is hopefully fixing it.

@gnr4life said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517109) said:
@supercoach said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517062) said:
It seems like anyone from the club doing a media piece is under orders to talk things down for season 22. Both Sheens and Madge have been very reluctant to make any predictions for next season and basically talk expectations down. Although they do seem to be positive about 23.

Maybe it’s about getting people onboard with the idea of a average year ahead but light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it might also be about trying to save your job

It seems like anyone from the club doing a media piece is under orders to talk things down for season 22. Both Sheens and Madge have been very reluctant to make any predictions for next season and basically talk expectations down. Although they do seem to be positive about 23.

Maybe it’s about getting people onboard with the idea of a average year ahead but light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it might also be about trying to save your job

I know for myself, if we pull off one or two more major signings for 2023, I won’t give a toss about ‘22. I’ll still be invested but I won’t be at a total loss. Unlike previous seasons when we’ve had nothing to look forward to, in ‘22 we can all take heart knowing there are better days ahead.

Very well said, my friend, very well indeed

@spartan117 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517106) said:

Makes sense, just like dogs in 2021.

We know the results that are coming. Im not happy about it.

Lets be realistic.

Have a little faith brother!

They cannot get worse than
The shambles that was '21 season

It's physically impossible bar ladder standing

For gods sake no more throwing in the towel

@tig_prmz said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517327) said:

that's funny, it sounds like they were breaking the cap in his first 3 years anyway LOL.

he got them to top 4 in his 4th year. Miracles happen but that's not very likely to happen for us in 2022.

He did, And they were busting the cap...
But they had recruited top quality players like Jennings, Watmough, Foran, Scott etc... To lay the platform - And help them recruit what they've since built.
They also had some crazy luck with getting some quality players at discount rates with other clubs paying part salaries.
Jennings, RCG, Blake to name a few...

But they're waning now, So hopefully some of that luck moves over to the next club on the way into town.... US.

I honestly think the club can challenge for the 8, but not with Maguire in charge. He has proven time and again
* that he coaches the team he wants not the team he has;
* is unable to draw effort out of the players;
* his game plans are rigid and set for 2014 style of play not 2022;
* he doesn't hold players accountable for sub standard performances; ( e.g.Nofo lets in 2.3 tries for every one he scores)
* for the forwards he recruits the same player focusing on size, strength and not stamina or line speed (Stefano not included)

Sheenius isn't the answer (those of us that are old enough know why), Gardiner is to inexperienced, they need to look at Morris, Cartwright, Furner, Ciraldo, Henry or Parrish. If the management of the club haven't started looking for Madges replacement, then they are part of the problem.

@earl said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517306) said:
@tig_prmz said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517294) said:
We will not be making the 8 and that means Madge will not be surviving.

That sort of gives Madge a chance for another year doesn't it. We don't look anything like a top 8 team this year but maybe we improve the year after.

He has had 3 years already to make us a top 8 team - he gets boned if we dont make it in year 4

@tbones10 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517393) said:
I honestly think the club can challenge for the 8, but not with Maguire in charge. He has proven time and again
* he doesn't hold players accountable for sub standard performances; ( e.g.Nofo lets in 2.3 tries for every one he scores)
* for the forwards he recruits the same player focusing on size, strength and not stamina or line speed (Stefano not included)

Sheenius isn't the answer (those of us that are old enough know why), Gardiner is to inexperienced, they need to look at Morris, Cartwright, Furner, Ciraldo, Henry or Parrish. If the management of the club haven't started looking for Madges replacement, then they are part of the problem.

See how the start of the year pans out bud.

Doubt at sheens age and the job he already holds, will throw hat in coach mix.

If madge doesn't work next year I'd go a younger coach that will allow sheens to assist a lot more with coaching

@tony-soprano said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517403) said:

If madge doesn't work next year I'd go a younger coach that will allow sheens to assist a lot more with coaching

The Club appears to be putting the systems and support in place to have the option of bringing in a young coach such as Ciraldo if it doesn't work in 2022.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517419) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517403) said:

The Club appears to be putting the systems and support in place to have the option of bringing in a young coach such as Ciraldo if it doesn't work in 2022.

100% Gardiner takes over if Madge is gone

Latest posts

Back