Madge Maguire - Mega Thread

@telltails said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481795) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481788) said:
@mike said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481786) said:
@djg-tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481785) said:
When Maguire retired from playing he initially left the game and taught physical education before signing as a strength and conditioning coach for Canberra.

He later became an assistant coach for the Raiders' reserve grade under Mal Meninga.

Maguire was eventually promoted to assistant coach of the Canberra first team alongside Matthew Elliott, before leaving the club in 2004 to take the assistant coaching job at Melbourne Storm under a former Raiders teammate, Craig Bellamy.

Maguire was an integral part in Melbourne's stripped NRL premierships and took control of first team affairs when head coach Bellamy took up representative duties for the Blues in State of Origin.

Some of Maguire's statistics, for me it's abit alarming seeing our win ratio very low.

![Capture.PNG](/assets/uploads/files/1632719115866-capture.png)

So seeing this, you could say its the culture of the club and the lazy players - or you could say that Maguire has been out of the NRL for awhile and cant adjust to it anymore?

For me... I think its the lazy players we currently have and the cattle we can never get.

It’s the roster pure and simple.

What was his excuse at Souths in 2016 and 2017? They came 12th both seasons then Seibold got essentially the same roster to 3rd the following year.

Tim Sheens maybe able to shed some light on that re 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.

But that's deflecting - we're not talking about Sheens. Mike said his excuse for 2019-2021 is the roster, and i'm asking what the excuse was for 2016 and 2017. It's a reasonable question.

@djg-tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481793) said:
When Maguire retired from playing he initially left the game and taught physical education before signing as a strength and conditioning coach for Canberra.

He later became an assistant coach for the Raiders' reserve grade under Mal Meninga.

Maguire was eventually promoted to assistant coach of the Canberra first team alongside Matthew Elliott, before leaving the club in 2004 to take the assistant coaching job at Melbourne Storm under a former Raiders teammate, Craig Bellamy.

Maguire was an integral part in Melbourne's stripped NRL premierships and took control of first team affairs when head coach Bellamy took up representative duties for the Blues in State of Origin.

Some of Maguire's statistics, for me it's abit alarming seeing our win ratio very low.

So seeing this, you could say its the culture of the club and the lazy players - or you could say that Maguire has been out of the NRL for awhile and cant adjust to it anymore?

For me... I think its the lazy players we currently have and the cattle we can never get.

What was his excuse at Souths in 2016 and 2017? They came 12th both seasons then Seibold got essentially the same roster to 3rd the following year.

So I had a look at the side in 2017 vs us.. we lost 8 - 28

![6603314f-82d6-4e3f-abf4-b5438507f963-image.png](/assets/uploads/files/1632720358277-6603314f-82d6-4e3f-abf4-b5438507f963-image.png)

In 2016.. we won 30-14

![603698c2-919c-4fc3-bf8b-7228d345c2cd-image.png](/assets/uploads/files/1632720514983-603698c2-919c-4fc3-bf8b-7228d345c2cd-image.png)

You forgot the earlier round in 2016 and opening round in 2017 when Jason Taylor coached our WT to three consecutive wins over McGuire's bunnies.

@avocadoontoast said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481798) said:
@telltails said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481795) said:

Tim Sheens maybe able to shed some light on that re 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.

But that's deflecting - we're not talking about Sheens. Mike said his excuse for 2019-2021 is the roster, and i'm asking what the excuse was for 2016 and 2017. It's a reasonable question.

Jason Taylor, oh hang on a minute, he coached them to two wins.

Edit; correction make that 3 wins.

God I hate this question, its such a short sighted attack on Madge.

In 2017, they had just lost Keary to the roosters and Inglis went down with a knee injury in round 1 for the season. Losing two of your spine is going to impact your teams capacity to compete.

Souths were in such state of salary cap transition post premiership success. We should give Madge some credit for bringing over Cook and starting him at hooker, debuting Walker, Crichton, Murray, Campbell - Graham and a bunch of others. Their development across 2016-17 were the foundation blocks of the 2018 success. I think Seibolds post Souths performances may be more indicative of him benefiting from Madge's work than Seibold turning around a dysfunctional side. At least Madge went on to succeed in England.

I know we are all broken inside, but I think the same foundations are being built by the Madge orientated players. Laurie, Douhei, Talau, Stefano, these are our chance at foundation blocks, similar to what I think Madge helped build at Souths, twice.

@tomatosoup912 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481805) said:

In 2017, they had just lost Keary to the roosters and Inglis went down with a knee injury in round 1 for the season. Losing two of your spine is going to impact your teams capacity to compete.

Souths were in such state of salary cap transition post premiership success. We should give Madge some credit for bringing over Cook and starting him at hooker, debuting Walker, Crichton, Murray, Campbell - Graham and a bunch of others. Their development across 2016-17 were the foundation blocks of the 2018 success. I think Seibolds post Souths performances may be more indicative of him benefiting from Madge's work than Seibold turning around a dysfunctional side. At least Madge went on to succeed in England.

I know we are all broken inside, but I think the same foundations are being built by the Madge orientated players. Laurie, Douhei, Talau, Stefano, these are our chance at foundation blocks, similar to what I think Madge helped build at Souths, twice.

Amazing post @Tomatosoup912

This is exactly what is happening, Madge has cleaned the squad up alot from before.

People may complain and say "We brought BJ, Roberts, Musgrove" ect, but honestly if we fired him the next coach would come in with 2 Million to spend on the roster and have "success"

Slow and steady, Madge has it..

It really isn't though. Even with Inglis out for 2017 there were a blend of youth and high quality senior players - a way better squad than 12th. He simply couldn't get them firing. And look at the 2016 squad. If he could only get this team to 12th, what chance does he have getting us to the finals?

I think Seibold is hopeless but from the final round of 2017 to the opening round of 2018 they played a different style of football - that's why they had success. Madge ball doesn't work anymore.

@avocadoontoast said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481809) said:

It really isn't though. Even with Inglis out for 2017 there were a blend of youth and high quality senior players - a way better squad than 12th. He simply couldn't get them firing. And look at the 2016 squad. If he could only get this team to 12th, what chance does he have getting us to the finals?

I think Seibold is hopeless but from the final round of 2017 to the opening round of 2018 they played a different style of football - that's why they had success. Madge ball doesn't work anymore.

Don't understand the downvotes, you're right avo. Seibold has proven to be one of the worst first grade coaches we've ever seen and took that roster to third. Despite the youth in the squad Madge clearly failed to get them going and was deservedly sacked for it.

How anyone can watch a game Wests Tigers played this year and go "yeah, that's a well coached team with the foundations of success" because I haven't seen a more poorly coached team in a long time.

I get that people wanna back him cause he's confirmed to be around for the year and he'll have my support but he can't just be devoid of any blame all year long next year.

Hi Madge. Welcome to the WTF. Great first post.

@tigerbalm said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481790) said:

why is that downvoted? fair enough question i think.

The cult don't like reasonable questions.
If they get hold of you you'll be audited.

@dwight-schrute said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481815) said:

Ill be a card carrying member if he can win some games next year. I want to be a Madgeadite, I just don't buy into the preaching's just yet.

@tigerbalm said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481820) said:

Ill be a card carrying member if he can win some games next year. I want to be a Madgeadite, I just don't buy into the preaching's just yet.

You’d be a Madget

Ben Teo talks about Marge at South's- credits him for challenging Sam Burgess and lifting his game
- 5min mark
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3Mud2hvb3Noa2FhLmNvbS9yc3MvcG9kY2FzdC9pZC8xMDc2MQ&ep=14&episode=MDBlZDA5MmUtYTI1OS00NTNjLTgwMDYtNDJmZTUyNWNmMzQx

Didn't know I signed up for a cult. Mums gonna kick my ass

@tigerbalm said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481814) said:

Hi Madge. Welcome to the WTF. Great first post.

Souths didn't obviously feel the same way about Maguire's performance end of 2017.

I agree with @mike, in that the strength of our roster means certain players are simply incapable more than they are lazy - due to lack of experience or core ability/skills needed at NRL level.
However for persons reflecting upon Madge's achievements at the Bunnies - including with roster management, it's totally irrelevant to the growth of our team and furthermore has no influence on our performances. Madge's previous coaching gig and success are meaningless to where we are. Our limitations and path is a lot different to what theirs was.
I get that people are trying to point out that the assessment on the team needs to be more honest, but at the same time the reality is that the team didn't improve over the course of the year and are in fact at its lowest position since his coaching commenced for us.
How much more obvious does it need to be that recruitment upgrades or changes are the only way to increase our chances of success and that he also needs to tailor/modify his coaching methods to suit the team - in order for them to collectively perform better. It's his responsibility to help promote the capabilities of every individual player and thus the team, in making us more appealing for any prospective recruits.

No offence but stuff Keary and Inglis and whoever else he lost or that got injured at the Bunnies. I don't care if his previous failure was due to this, my only concern is how this team is still failing.
It only matters to me how he coaches the WTs and that he can adequately adapt his model to the current team and game, as we look unmotivated and his tactics clearly ain't working. So I guess we'll have to wait until next year to see if he and the team have learned anything as otherwise the scoreboard and results on the ladder are the only type of measurement that indicates how good(or poor) we really are.

A coach that’s won 2 premierships knows what they are doing. It’s now about the roster, if we had a Turbo, Tedesco game changing player or 2 we would be fine

@ccwt said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481889) said:
A coach that’s won 2 premierships knows what they are doing. It’s now about the roster, if we had a Turbo, Tedesco game changing player or 2 we would be fine

We had Tedesco 5 years ago with arguably a better roster.

@gnr4life said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481890) said:

Yes but not a 2 x premiership winning coach ?

@ccwt said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481891) said:

I wouldn’t be including his ESL premiership. That means jack.

@gnr4life said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481893) said:
@ccwt said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1481891) said:

I wouldn’t be including his ESL premiership. That means jack.

Really? Seems odd to not include but ok.. so you think if we had turbo this year we wouldn’t have done any better?

Members online

Back