Madge Maguire - Mega Thread

@the_patriot said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517111) said:
I don't mind the club talking down our chances for 22. Might be a realisation that the coach and playing group cracked under the pressure of the expectations that the tales from tiger town cameras brought to 21.

Much better to fly under the radar this season while having in house expectations to challenge for the 8

Our season was done and dusted before Ep1 even went to air though.

@eternal-tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517122) said:
@the_patriot said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517111) said:
I don't mind the club talking down our chances for 22. Might be a realisation that the coach and playing group cracked under the pressure of the expectations that the tales from tiger town cameras brought to 21.

Much better to fly under the radar this season while having in house expectations to challenge for the 8

Our season was done and dusted before Ep1 even went to air though.

Agreed. I dont think the TV stuff had anything at all to do with performance in any way, shape or form.
But it certainly highlighted the club lacked genuine leaders on and off the field. Which most of us already knew.

I think if we don't make the 8 in 2022 Maguire won't be coach in 2023 based on Sheens interviews.

@426tlgerland said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517118) said:
The key ingredient for us this coming season is starting well , if we can come out and be 3 wins from first 5 games we are holding well , if we come out and get beat 4 out of 5 the players are the ones who start to get a wobble up of hear we go again , it’s critical our coaches get this team on a high in the off season , believe in them selfs , gel amongst all players , enjoy training , that’s Madge and the other new coaches who have joined us job , believe in yourself’s and you can do a hole lot better than just going through the motions , Hastings will be key as well he needs to be a strong leader in he group let Brooks do his job while he takes control control of the team , Our forwards need to stand up and hurt opposition with firm defence and hard running , the addition of the 2 new coaches I think will be a plus , nice fresh input , Gildart will only want to prove he can be in the team that’s a positive same for Hastings and Peach , plus we have some new young guys and they look solid , Blore , And big Stef will go good after last season experience , I’m pretty confident we go ok and jump up to compete for the 8 in season 22 season 2023 let’s just wait til 22 is over ,

LOL, you could feel the excitement build when Stef gets in the clear ball tucked under the arm and Madge screaming "Go you big bugger!" lol

@jedi_tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517121) said:
@cobarcats said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517103) said:
Maguire loves big boppers. He was quoted not long ago when asked who he'd like to sign and he said another quality prop would be good. He also said that 2023 is our year. I know that might be an indemnity type statement but it now seems to be the aim. Have a look at our better young players, they are getting more experience with each game and then you throw in some quality signings, fix up the office and coaching/support staff and things turn around. Apart from Stef's upgrade the signing priority should be the best go forward man available. I got hammered in the Cotric thread by saying 'please no more backs'. I understand people comments and I'm a Cotric fan, but I was trying to say that backs are cheaper and we have a development system for that [hopefully]. There is our recent signings in young Topou and Gildart and also JTJ who could assist [possibly next year a bargain back might become available at the right money] but forwards like Stef plus Paulo or Thompson you can build your club around them and your spine, spend the dosh.

Forwards win games backs determine by how much.
Build the forward pack first, Paulo is a must

Going to miss his prime as he is likely there atm, though would happily take Joseph playing as a 29yo in 2023 with a couple or few good years left in him.

Much better player than Tamou, but more importantly Paulo won't be arriving as a 32yo player (now 33) loitering around for a final contract pay day.

As for Maguire, whilst I would have shown him the door, am trusting that the changes forced upon him will reap dividends. Especially appointing new assistants in Gardiner and Cayless, who along with Sheens will positively impact the way our squad and particularly their individual talents are utilised.

@formerguest said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517153) said:
@jedi_tiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517121) said:
@cobarcats said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517103) said:
Maguire loves big boppers. He was quoted not long ago when asked who he'd like to sign and he said another quality prop would be good. He also said that 2023 is our year. I know that might be an indemnity type statement but it now seems to be the aim. Have a look at our better young players, they are getting more experience with each game and then you throw in some quality signings, fix up the office and coaching/support staff and things turn around. Apart from Stef's upgrade the signing priority should be the best go forward man available. I got hammered in the Cotric thread by saying 'please no more backs'. I understand people comments and I'm a Cotric fan, but I was trying to say that backs are cheaper and we have a development system for that [hopefully]. There is our recent signings in young Topou and Gildart and also JTJ who could assist [possibly next year a bargain back might become available at the right money] but forwards like Stef plus Paulo or Thompson you can build your club around them and your spine, spend the dosh.

Forwards win games backs determine by how much.
Build the forward pack first, Paulo is a must

Going to miss his prime as he is likely there atm, though would happily take Joseph playing as a 29yo in 2023 with a couple or few good years left in him.

Much better player than Tamou, but more importantly Paulo won't be arriving as a 32yo player (now 33) loitering around for a final contract pay day.

As for Maguire, whilst I would have shown him the door, am trusting that the changes forced upon him will reap dividends. Especially appointing new assistants in Gardiner and Cayless, who along with Sheens will positively impact the way our squad and particularly their individual talents are utilised.

Good point about Paulo's age mate, didn't even think about that, Thompson looks obvious but a lot of cash, now I'm sounding hypocritical eh, shouldn't drink and post ?
Any alternatives then for 2023? and how much would you pay for Stef for a 4 year deal?

@supercoach said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517062) said:
It seems like anyone from the club doing a media piece is under orders to talk things down for season 22. Both Sheens and Madge have been very reluctant to make any predictions for next season and basically talk expectations down. Although they do seem to be positive about 23.

Maybe it’s about getting people onboard with the idea of a average year ahead but light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it might also be about trying to save your job

We are favourites for the spoon on almost all betting agencies.

I made a thread this time last year that we will be favourites for the spoon for 2021, seems I was a year early into my prediction.

We will not be making the 8 and that means Madge will not be surviving.

Actually we are at longest odds to make the 8 and the top 4 too.

Anyone who believes in us should put a cheeky $50 on us at $5 and $11 respectively

@tig_prmz said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517297) said:

Anyone who believes in us should put a cheeky $50 on us at $5 and $11 respectively

I believe in us but I believe in money in the bank more.

@tig_prmz said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517294) said:
We will not be making the 8 and that means Madge will not be surviving.

That sort of gives Madge a chance for another year doesn't it. We don't look anything like a top 8 team this year but maybe we improve the year after.

@tig_prmz said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517297) said:

We could make the 8. It's unlikely but it could happen.

I highly doubt Madge survives if we don't make the 8.. wouldn't that make it 4 yeras of bottom 8 finishes?

I don't know the right answer but the pressure will be on the board/CEO/Sheens...

Really, anything less than top 8 and he should go. Name another coach who has missed finals 4 years in a row and kept their job. The only one I can think of is Sheens, and that at least was off the back of a premiership. Outside of that, it’s unheard of to keep a coach on after that many failures.

@tig_prmz said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517311) said:
I highly doubt Madge survives if we don't make the 8.. wouldn't that make it 4 yeras of bottom 8 finishes?

I don't know the right answer but the pressure will be on the board/CEO/Sheens...

It would make 11 years of bottom 8 finishes. Some clubs couldn’t do that on purpose.

@gnr4life said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517314) said:
Really, anything less than top 8 and he should go. Name another coach who has missed finals 4 years in a row and kept their job. The only one I can think of is Sheens, and that at least was off the back of a premiership. Outside of that, it’s unheard of to keep a coach on after that many failures.

Sheens....
Arthur had a couple lean years, Not sure he got to 4..
But I'd think he's had 4 bottom 8 finishes since he's been there

@gnr4life said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517314) said:

The problem is deeper than the last 4 years.

We have been bad for 15.

Madge quite simply has to improve the team from last season. If they finish the same or worse next season he cannot be kept on as coach.

He's in year 4 of coaching, the team should be getting better, not worse.

@jc99 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517320) said:
Madge quite simply has to improve the team from last season. If they finish the same or worse next season he cannot be kept on as coach.

Took BA 4+ Years to get the Eels into the Top 8...
And they had better players that we did/do.

Now, They're there or there abouts every year.

@jc99 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1517320) said:

If you signed a coach to a 4 year contract, and he failed to make the 8 each of those 4 years, what chance would he have of getting renewed?

Staff online

Back