Moses is the new Origin half

jirskyr

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
13,000
@geo said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406724) said:
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406479) said:
After I stopped vomiting...

I don't think I can bring myself to cheer for him, seriously, hate him so much. I don't know exactly if I want NSW to lose, but maybe Moses have a shocker and Turbo still find a way to win it for us.

You cheer the jersey...not the players in them...

Wrong

I don't love NSW enough to cheer anybody in a NSW jersey. Tigers - I probably would, I cheered for Hopoate and Terry Hill after all.
 

jirskyr

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
13,000
@tiger_fanatic3 said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406717) said:
Team looks good except for the No 7. Moses is not that good a player against better quality oppositions. Really shines against lower class.

Lack of depth in NSW halves. Cleary the comp's standout, then it falls away dramatically to Moses and Reynolds. Might have been Luai and Wighton had Luai not got injured.

Reynolds has the runs on the board but they are probably going with youth.
 

AL The Tiger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
2,850
With all the issues going on around the NRL with the new rules, as well as the issues with my own team, I was really beginning to lose interest. Moses becoming an origin half has completely turned me off
 

weststigerman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
4,408
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406920) said:
@weststigerman said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406783) said:
@telltails said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406668) said:
Havnt got the energy to hate Moses any more..he was immature 22, self obsessed just another ex player done better..and after yesterday's first half if that wasn't tanking it was very close.

Same. The list is too long now of players that have seen the light and improved their careers by leaving WT.

Can't watch every game and hate Moses, Ivan, Matterson, Aloiai, there are just too many. Waiting for the off season for our best player to want out. Probably Laurie or Seyfarth is my guess, maybe even a backflip from Hastings.

Exactly how many ex-Tigers have gone on to bigger and better things at other clubs? It's not so big a list?
Paps
Tedesco
Moses
Luke O'Donnell
Marty Taupau - was already playing well, just his new team doing better
Koroibete, JAC - most folks who go to Melbourne get success, whether or not they are actually contributing
Andrew Fifita

I seriously struggle to name more than 10.

Otherwise:
Aloiai - hasn't done anything yet
Materson - no better or worse than when he was here; actually he was in genuine Origin contention when at Tigers

All the players you mentioned played finals footy or likely will this year (Aloiai).

I'm narrowing the focus to the last few years and only to players we wanted to keep. Not even including Paps because he wasn't in first grade when he left. Woods is the only one we wanted to keep that actually went backwards.

We're actually a gold mine for other teams because good players generally perform better when they leave, while good players we sign generally get worse when we bring them to the club: Tamou, Mbye, Packer, BJ, Roberts etc.
 

jirskyr

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
13,000
@weststigerman said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406955) said:
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406920) said:
@weststigerman said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406783) said:
@telltails said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406668) said:
Havnt got the energy to hate Moses any more..he was immature 22, self obsessed just another ex player done better..and after yesterday's first half if that wasn't tanking it was very close.

Same. The list is too long now of players that have seen the light and improved their careers by leaving WT.

Can't watch every game and hate Moses, Ivan, Matterson, Aloiai, there are just too many. Waiting for the off season for our best player to want out. Probably Laurie or Seyfarth is my guess, maybe even a backflip from Hastings.

Exactly how many ex-Tigers have gone on to bigger and better things at other clubs? It's not so big a list?
Paps
Tedesco
Moses
Luke O'Donnell
Marty Taupau - was already playing well, just his new team doing better
Koroibete, JAC - most folks who go to Melbourne get success, whether or not they are actually contributing
Andrew Fifita

I seriously struggle to name more than 10.

Otherwise:
Aloiai - hasn't done anything yet
Materson - no better or worse than when he was here; actually he was in genuine Origin contention when at Tigers

All the players you mentioned played finals footy or likely will this year (Aloiai).

I'm narrowing the focus to the last few years and only to players we wanted to keep. Not even including Paps because he wasn't in first grade when he left. Woods is the only one we wanted to keep that actually went backwards.

We're actually a gold mine for other teams because good players generally perform better when they leave, while good players we sign generally get worse when we bring them to the club: Tamou, Mbye, Packer, BJ, Roberts etc.

Paul Momirovski played finals football last year and will again this year, if Penrith get injuries. Not really a measure of "improving your career", if you are 3rd or 4th in line at a good club.

If I send Tommy Talau or Luke Brooks to Storm, odds are they'll get a few games in a premiership-contending side.
 

Geo

Moderator
Staff member
Forum Leader
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
47,800
Location
Campbelltown NSW..
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406926) said:
@geo said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406724) said:
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406479) said:
After I stopped vomiting...

I don't think I can bring myself to cheer for him, seriously, hate him so much. I don't know exactly if I want NSW to lose, but maybe Moses have a shocker and Turbo still find a way to win it for us.

You cheer the jersey...not the players in them...

Wrong

I don't love NSW enough to cheer anybody in a NSW jersey. Tigers - I probably would, I cheered for Hopoate and Terry Hill after all.

That’s you and that’s fine..

There have been more flogs in The Jersey that I care to remember ..never cheered them either but the Blue jersey … yep
 

Fade.To.Black

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2019
Messages
3,817
@moh said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406660) said:
I hate Moses as much as any of you, but I don't let it cloud my judgement. The fact is, he is a very good player.

Yes, icing the big moments is still his issue, but he's improving there.

The big moments are as much of his weakness now as they have ever been. The ponce is a choker. World-beater against pathetic opposition, almost always goes missing in a genuine contest or when his team is getting beat. True sign of a cat IMO.
Not a chance in hell they would've put faith in him if this was an Origin decider against worthy opposition.

I don't think anyone has ever skipped like a pre-pubescent girl on-field before in an Origin game, he will claim that milestone surely.
 

barra

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
2,878
Location
Sth Coast
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406912) said:
@moh said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406660) said:
I hate Moses as much as any of you, but I don't let it cloud my judgement. The fact is, he is a very good player.

Yes, icing the big moments is still his issue, but he's improving there.

I actually don't think he's a very good player at all. Medium level player. Makes his tackles finally, used to be a real turnstyle.

Moses does have a good kicking game and that's basically all Parramatta ever ask him to do. Some crazy % of his try assists are from kicks. 10th in the NRL for try assists, which is 1 more than Luke Brooks (13 vs 12).

Additional proof - Moses isn't in the Top 50 for linebreak assists, so he hasn't got a passing game. Parramatta ask him to straighten and pass, it's all he ever does. Straighten and pass to better players, on the back of a very effective forward pack. Tigers have 3 players in Top 50 for linebreak assists, including Moses Mbye.

Finally can't ice a game to save himself. Not just last round, serial failure in important games all the way back to his Tigers days. We all knew it back then when he played for us - could do some great stuff but almost never when it counted. I recall that match against Storm at LO when he had several shots at FG to win it (I think Brooks had 1 too), then Cronk got his shot at the other end and iced it.

Agree with this assessment of him. Perhaps Fittler will play him in a similar fashion?
I did hear him say that he likes the way Moses can kick his way out of trouble and kicking out of your own half can be a common situation in Origin.
 

cktiger

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
5,738
@cultured_bogan said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406789) said:
So Moses bottles a win and gets an origin jersey?

Is that how it works now?

He missed a goal from the sideline… 🙄
 

bigsiro

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
3,485
@jirskyr said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406479) said:
After I stopped vomiting...

I don't think I can bring myself to cheer for him, seriously, hate him so much. I don't know exactly if I want NSW to lose, but maybe Moses have a shocker and Turbo still find a way to win it for us.

Could be worse.
Imagine Ivan as coach, Braith as coaching assistant, Moses as 5/8, Matterson as second row.

I'd probably support QLD.
 

AdelaideTiger

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2020
Messages
629
At least this will make the game interesting, as it will completely destabilise the NSW defence, which has been built on 1v1 responsibilities this series.
King Chin not only makes his 1v1 tackles he often wins the collision.
Moses on the other hand (although vastly improved as a defender) will still require a body guard and cause headaches for men out wide.
Brooks would actually be the best analogue for Cleary, strong defender for a HB, good running game and clean passer of the ball. Cleary is obviously a much better game manager and has a better kicking game (in all aspects), but Brooks would more than hold his own in this Blues team, where he just needs to do his job.
If Queensland is smart enough to exploit Moses at the correct moments they will at least get on the board more than they have so far this series.
Up the Blues!
 

Cultured_Bogan

Well-known member
Forum Leader
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
27,469
Location
Blue Mountains
@cktiger said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1407069) said:
@cultured_bogan said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1406789) said:
So Moses bottles a win and gets an origin jersey?

Is that how it works now?

He missed a goal from the sideline… ?

So that'll be OK if he drops an origin game? He's being picked to be a big game player, big game players nail those conversions.
 

Tigerdave

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
13,562
Location
Lismore
Meh, he's a downhill skier. If the Blues actually get some competition from the Maroons, he'll be nowhere to be seen.

So far he's never been able to stand up in the big games.
 

Harvey

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 22, 2015
Messages
8,636
Location
Leumeah
My first thought when reading this thread's title was Mbye had been selected in the Qld halves.

Not sure where my brain was. Other consecutive thrashings I can't imagine anyone would consider him part of the solution.
 

Fade.To.Black

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2019
Messages
3,817
@harvey said in [Moses is the new Origin half](/post/1407319) said:
My first thought when reading this thread's title was Mbye had been selected in the Qld halves.

Not sure where my brain was. Other consecutive thrashings I can't imagine anyone would consider him part of the solution.

Mbye would be on par with Mitchell Moses as far as what positives they could offer a team at Origin level.

If Origin 3 is a physical, spite-filled game Mitchy Boy will be playing 20 metres from the defensive line.....he's not a fan of getting tackled.
 

jrtiger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
2,652
you can already see how its going to go. no pressure, flat track bully mitchell goes out and murders it, everyone says Parra can win the premiership.

Parra make it to a preliminary final, game on the line, when there's actually some real pressure, and he's nowhere to be seen. happens every year, and will continue to happen every year afterwards. he's a myth. but we'll have to deal with hearing about how brilliant he is after falling into a once in a generation team that's already wrapped up the series.
 
Top