New captain

I assume Woods was chosen for a couple of reasons:

1.) He's a local; nice to have a local leading the team (I suppose). More for the fans and sponsors.
2.) The other thing I assume they wanted to do is appoint it to someone who they believe was young and stick around the club a while. Constistancy with leadership will also help develop the 'team bond'. Either Woods, Broses or Teddy 'would' have fit the bill. Not sure any more.
3.) He's a mostly stategic captain. Not sure if people saw the thing he did with Cameron Smith in the Melbourne game. Clever, cleaver piece of captency.

In saying that, I don't think there is that person that is the perfect candidate. Cam Smith has that smart footy brain that knows the rules inside out and can force the refs to at least rethink their future calls. Nobody in our team fits that bill either.

@ said:
It really shouldn't, but it still amazes me how much people misunderstand leadership in sport. If all you want from your captain is to scream and shout in an apparent attempt to 'fire up the boys', then go & play A Grade on a Sunday arvo.

Woods is the clear leader of this team. The fact is we are a young & inexperienced team, and as such he is a young & inexperienced leader, but he is a leader. Every week he turns up, plays big minutes (which will be to his long term career detriment) and takes the side forward. Just because we don't see him busting the line like Taumalolo or standing around shouting at his team mates like Graham, doesn't mean he is not a good leader.

We don't see what happens behind the scenes, and this is the key to being a leader of a professional club. These young blokes look up to him and to simply sack him as captain now wouldn't solve any problems on the field, would create problems off the field, would force him to sign elsewhere and probably start a domino effect of other top players at the club leaving as well. Who would want to sign for a club that has just lost its captain and best players?

Couldn't care less if it causes unrest in the playing group. The way it's headed most of the team will be playing elsewhere or not at all next year.

Sick of this club being dictated to by the players.

@ said:
Given that our current captain is not really working out for us, who would you pick for captain.

Why I believe he isn't working out.
- zero passion displayed
- unwilling to put a rocket up the team
- does not display any leadership
- uninspiring talk when in press conferences
- trundles along without much impact

So who would be a better option?

Never mind getting rid of him as captain if the dogs have made that alleged millon a year offer to the pretty boy…. let them have him.

Plain stupid to dump the captain now - and will resolve nothing other than to create more speculative drama in the media. They are already over us.
Attacking individuals at this club resolves nothing we should have learned that by now - seems like some of you now have Woods in the firing line.
Just appoint the coach and let him start developing a rappore with the playing group and begin to reinstate some confidence back.

@ said:
Jesus, you cant just chop and change stuff and drop captain and appoint a new one ..
That just creates more turmoil and highlights how much worse things are

Why not? We changed captains half way through 2005….

@ said:
@ said:
Jesus, you cant just chop and change stuff and drop captain and appoint a new one ..
That just creates more turmoil and highlights how much worse things are

Why not? We changed captains half way through 2005….

Bennet took thiadays off him recently as well

The team is a bunch of non-leaders without passion or spirit.

NO they don't super coach I agree with that. No doubting Woods is our best forward and one of the only logical choices as captain. I would only replace him as captain if he de idea to leave. His position would be untenable then.

My problem however is captain Woods led this charade this year about holding off on contracts.

It was proved an appealing distraction.

Just stay or go.

I never felt Aaron was the correct choice being Captain, but I dont regret him being given the opportunity to lead his club. I also dont think ET is the right choice as I'd prefer he just continue doing his work week to week.

Basically, we dont have a leader that will excel in this role at the club. Its why Robbie was a great Captain. He displayed all the attributes to be a great leader on the park. Unfortunately, off the park it went the wrong direction and the decison had to be made.

Personally I would continue with Aaron until the end of the year, knowing we wont have that passionate leader on the pitch, but name Mitchell as his Co-Captain.

Aaron does the off-field stuff, Mitchell does the on-field stuff. One thing is for certain, the Position Vancant Sign needs to go up at Concord for 2018!

People do realise that our off contract players are not the only ones holding off signing with their clubs till the new salary cap figures are nutted out.
We are just the ones wreaking of desperation because the quality/ quantity of our playing stock is so poor.

@ said:
People do realise that our off contract players are not the only ones holding off signing with their clubs till the new salary cap figures are nutted out.
We are just the ones wreaking of desperation because the quality/ quantity of our playing stock is so poor.

Yes but we also have virtually our whole salary cap at our disposal for next year. We don't need to be hamstrung by under performers demanding overs. For once we won't have to look at the bargain bin to replace players we're not prepared to pay well over for.

Woods isn't a leader. He is one of the laziest forwards in the game off the ball and seems to play for his own stats and run meters. He is a good carrier of the ball and has a nice offload but that's as far as it goes.

Look at his defence against Melbourne when the game was in the balance with tigers leading 14-10.
The defensive line is set, he just simply chooses to not move up. He walks back while the rest of the team moves forward in a line and Blair runs straight through the hole where Woods should have been if he moved up.

![](http://i.makeagif.com/media/4-03-2017/WUWBL-.gif)

A middle forward who is a leader sets the line speed. Look at the way Finucane and Trbojevic defend. They strive to be the first forward to make contact and they hit hard. They are leaders who lead with action.

Look at Woods against the Dragons. Woods is the LAST tiger back into the defensive line. This was in the 59th minute. Woods had only just returned to the field in the 54th and was completely fresh. Look at Tim Grant zoom past him. The team is short out wide because Woods is so slow getting back into the defensive line, which forced the rest of the team to compress in and rush up. He shows absolutely no urgency or care.

![](http://i.makeagif.com/media/4-03-2017/rsxa7V.gif)

@ said:
I am of the feeling that changing the captain will create more unrest within the playing group. If Woods signs elsewhere then that would be reasonable but to do that now would create more hysteria in the media.
Sacking the coach is extreme enough at this point. Lets leave it at that at the moment.

Yeah I agree with this after giving it second thought

@ said:
@ said:
I am of the feeling that changing the captain will create more unrest within the playing group. If Woods signs elsewhere then that would be reasonable but to do that now would create more hysteria in the media.
Sacking the coach is extreme enough at this point. Lets leave it at that at the moment.

Yeah I agree with this after giving it second thought

Please who cares if the little darlings are upset ..the door is that way it is time these players were professional and do there job for what they are being paid! For to long the this club has been run by the players the time has come for the change !

@ said:
Our problems don't stem from our captain or bad captaincy.

Agreed it runs far deeper than that. mainly from the mismanagement of our roster and lack of heart/spirit among the squad

@ said:
My problem however is captain Woods led this charade this year about holding off on contracts.

I have no problems at all with Woods on field performances as a captain
but his off field representation of the club and example to the other players has been extremely poor.

Back