New coach.. Who should we target?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Bennet is yesterday's man …. signing him would be a step backwards.

Hes won 67 and lost 38 his last four years up there

Same four seasons weve won 38 and lost 58

There was a fair bit of difference between the two squads.

I know, but he wins games, makes the semis, hardly a harry has-been…
\
\
\
...a few years with us however :neutral_face:

@ said:
@ said:
Now that we’ve turned on Cleary’s coaching, can we agree that the side made no progress this season, and only went sideways at best?

I think the majority of people have turned on Cleary as a person who has shown he has no integrity and is being clouded by his desire to coach his son. He could be the best coach in the world but that means nothing anymore. Still light years ahead of our previous coach.

Cleary can coach it’s not the question at all.
If he signed an extension it’s the best thing for the club. I would prefer Bennett and Maguire over Cleary but if Clearys heart was in it there is no point changing coach at this stage.

He has lost the fans, members, the club and most fans of other teams also. It seems out of character but he has form leaving a year early at the Warriors.

Macguire makes sense. Strong Kiwi connection, which will fit our club culture well, knows how to build a culture (eg Melbourne), turned Wigan around, turned Souths around. He is the bloke on the market that every club looking for a coach wants to sign. If the Tigers can swap him for Ivan and use some Penrith money to achieve it that would be a good outcome from where we are currently.

Nothing against IC, who has done a good job on the rebuild, but I think Macguire would be a good next step.

@ said:
So my #bennett whateverittakes from 2008 finally looks likely…?

Bob Bennett will be a massive pick up Geo

Like when we almost had Lockyer …....Matt

Like we almost signed Ricky Stuart and ended up with Josh

Look how Bennett improved Marshall for any doubts about his quality. Marshall was busted and unwanted before he went to the Bronocos. He's an incredible coach. You can't talk about Newcastle, that was a Nathan Tinkler debacle that completely collapsed around Bennett. He has to be the #1 choice. I think it's crazy to doubt his ability.

I'd be fine with Maguire as well, but why isn't Des Hasler being mentioned by anyone? Things fell apart at The Bulldogs, but two years ago he was potentially up there with Bellamy as the best coach in the league.

I can't see us getting any compensation for Cleary. Best we can do is have Penrirh take him on his current contract.

@ said:
I can't see us getting any compensation for Cleary. Best we can do is have Penrirh take him on his current contract.

Agreed somehow we always get the rough end of the stick.

Sounds like another year of rebuilding

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I can understand people being upset with how Cleary has handled the situation, but it’s humourous to see peope who would have taken a bullet for him 3 months ago all of a sudden saying he can’t coach. That’s called bitterness.

yes it is what it is.
But he can coach and my preference would be that he stays.

Why would you want him to stay if he doesn't want to?
It's clear that he wants to go.
He won't be recruiting for us. He is already thinking about the roster to build around his son.
If he is here for 2019 I won't be watching.

I didn’t say that I would want him to stay if he didn’t want to mate.
You’re worse than those Juno’s.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I have no idea how Penrith will keep team harmony long term…. James Maloney is the number one play maker at Penrith James fought with Gallen at the Sharks about not doing what James wanted with the ball in attack
\
\
I don't know how this strange father Son love story plays out in front of the team could get real weird really quick

Well if it does, it won't be our problem, but it will be fun watching :slight_smile:

Do you think Ivan is a better coach then the one they sacked ?

And I do hope Ivan stays for the next 5 years just don't think it will happen

Do you have any info on what’s going on with this Cleary saga. Pascoe quoted in the SMH saying nothing has changed and he expects Cleary to be here for the next 2 years.

Go back and have another read and you will notice that, just as per the club and Cleary statements a couple of months odd back, Pascoe doesn't address the actual situation, only the issue of when he became aware of the speculation.

The Cleary saga is already effectively over.

It’s only now about who we are bringing in for 2019.

@ said:
@ said:

Agreed somehow we always get the rough end of the stick.

Sounds like another year of rebuilding

Totally disagree.

Tigers have all the power in regards to Cleary. Penrith will have to make concessions to get him.

@ said:
@ said:

I think that there will be a contract buyout if he goes early.

Yes Penrith will take him and pay him what we would have.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I have no idea how Penrith will keep team harmony long term…. James Maloney is the number one play maker at Penrith James fought with Gallen at the Sharks about not doing what James wanted with the ball in attack
\
\
I don't know how this strange father Son love story plays out in front of the team could get real weird really quick

Well if it does, it won't be our problem, but it will be fun watching :slight_smile:

Do you have any info on what’s going on with this Cleary saga. Pascoe quoted in the SMH saying nothing has changed and he expects Cleary to be here for the next 2 years.

Bennett and Tigers deny talks as the Panthers circle Cleary
By Christian Nicolussi
3 October 2018 — 8:09pm

Brisbane supercoach Wayne Bennett has reaffirmed his commitment to the Broncos next year as he and Wests Tigers denied the seven-time premiership winner had been approached to replace Ivan Cleary.
It took just three days for the confetti to settle after the NRL grand final before the off-season coaching merry-go-round cranked up with The Australian reporting that Bennett had been shopped to the Tigers for 2020.

While Bennett is happy to entertain any offers from 2020 onwards, Tigers fans will be wanting to know what happens in the short term, especially with Penrith confident they can get Cleary for the start of pre-season training next month.

Bennett first heard about being linked to the Tigers after a morning chat with his sister early on Wednesday. Bennett made a point there was no way he would walk out on Red Hill early.
Cleary still has two years to run on his deal at the Tigers, but he and Penrith are keen to be reunited for next season.
Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe, meanwhile, has repeatedly stated Cleary will honour the final two years of his deal and he maintained that stance last night.
Bennett, who has already been informed that next year will be his last at the Broncos, told the Herald on Wednesday: _**"I’ve said it numerous times and I’ll repeat it – I intend to continue coaching after 2019 if I can get a job somewhere. Nothing is off the list. We’ll see what happens. The first time I heard about the Wests Tigers [was this morning when my sister told me about it."**_
Regardless of the lack of love from the Broncos hierarchy, Bennett has no desire to pack his bags early. _**"I’ve never intimated that at any stage, and nothing has changed," Bennett said.**_
….....................................................................

For anyone who still believes it’s media speculation only. It took Bennett all of 2 seconds to come out and not only face the media but respond to questions. Something Ivan couldn’t even do unless he had a script.
I’m as disappointed in Ivan as the next person and think he’s just as responsible as Gus Gould for all this. This (the media over past 6 weeks)is all Gus’ doing. All of this just to secure Nathan Cleary.
The media gronks are nothing but his minions and while they’re having their awards night tonight, the Tigers management and fans are in a tailspin over this coaching saga.

The worse thing is that it’s not even our fault.](was this morning when my sister told me about it.)

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Bennett and Tigers deny talks as the Panthers circle Cleary
By Christian Nicolussi
3 October 2018 — 8:09pm

Brisbane supercoach Wayne Bennett has reaffirmed his commitment to the Broncos next year as he and Wests Tigers denied the seven-time premiership winner had been approached to replace Ivan Cleary.
It took just three days for the confetti to settle after the NRL grand final before the off-season coaching merry-go-round cranked up with The Australian reporting that Bennett had been shopped to the Tigers for 2020.

While Bennett is happy to entertain any offers from 2020 onwards, Tigers fans will be wanting to know what happens in the short term, especially with Penrith confident they can get Cleary for the start of pre-season training next month.

Bennett first heard about being linked to the Tigers after a morning chat with his sister early on Wednesday. Bennett made a point there was no way he would walk out on Red Hill early.
Cleary still has two years to run on his deal at the Tigers, but he and Penrith are keen to be reunited for next season.
Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe, meanwhile, has repeatedly stated Cleary will honour the final two years of his deal and he maintained that stance last night.
Bennett, who has already been informed that next year will be his last at the Broncos, told the Herald on Wednesday: _**"I’ve said it numerous times and I’ll repeat it – I intend to continue coaching after 2019 if I can get a job somewhere. Nothing is off the list. We’ll see what happens. The first time I heard about the Wests Tigers [was this morning when my sister told me about it."**_
Regardless of the lack of love from the Broncos hierarchy, Bennett has no desire to pack his bags early. _**"I’ve never intimated that at any stage, and nothing has changed," Bennett said.**_
….....................................................................

For anyone who still believes it’s media speculation only. It took Bennett all of 2 seconds to come out and not only face the media but respond to questions. Something Ivan can’t do without a script.
I’m as disappointed in Ivan as the next person and think he’s just as responsible as Gus Gould for all this. This (the media over past 6 weeks)is all Gus’ doing. All of this just to secure Nathan Cleary.
The media gronks are nothing but his minions and while they’re having their awards night tonight, the Tigers management and fans are in a tailspin over this coaching saga.

The worse thing is that it’s not even our fault.

If Wayne is seeing out his contract WT would be mad not to sign Maguire. Money talks if Maguire can secure the job this year with WT Brisbane would be off the table.](was this morning when my sister told me about it.)

Here's a question to all you tea leaf readers out there:- when is Cleary actually leaving us?

This year, 2019, 2020?

Tell us definitely so we can sleep once again.

Thank you in anticipation.

@ said:
Here's a question to all you tea leaf readers out there:- when is Cleary actually leaving us?

This year, 2019, 2020?

Tell us definitely so we can sleep once again.

Thank you in anticipation.

Tigers management surely can’t keep Ivan as our coach for 2019\. As such, it would be prudent to ensure we have a new coach within the next few weeks before pre season.
Whether or not this transpires remains to be seen…

Back